Dryuary

Pensant
This topic is 877 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I drank like a fish in my twenties.  I still drank a fair amount in my thirties.  My usage dropped off considerably in my forties, and in my fifties I probably went months at a time with no alcohol.  At 60 I still occasionally enjoy a drink but usually it's just wine with a meal.  It isn't that I lost the taste for good Scotch/bourbon/whiskey, but I'm just not that motivated to drink very often.  Maybe it's because no one I spend time with regularly likes to drink very much. 

Congrats for abstaining for a period of time in order to make yourself feel better. 

21 hours ago, Pensant said:

A few friends and I are doing Dryuary to get a strong, healthy start to the new year. I and my friends have overindulged a bit this holiday season, so we’re looking forward to it. I often abstain for a month or so and always feel great. Anyone else going dry for the new year?

Happy New Year!

Happy new year. Whatever suits you. I never go overboard with it. So I'm not really planning on going dry this coming month.

I have one glass of wine with dinner every night, and don't normally drink any other alcohol unless I am at a social gathering. However, on Xmas day I looked though our liquor cabinet and found a bottle of Triple Sec--I don't know how it got there and I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a very small glass for a token celebration. We will be home alone tonight and tomorrow, so at some point I will search the cabinet for another adult beverage for one glass to toast the New Year.

I truly enjoy my evening cocktail hour(s).  What I drink varies depending on the time of year.  With some simple appetizers it is something I truly enjoy and look forward to.  Last year I did my first dry January and it was a great thing to do.  It helped that a friend of mine also did it.  I think it is, for me, an excellent way to start the year and a way to drop some of the holiday weight by eliminating some empty calories that comes with the alcohol.  I will do it again this year but will start on January 2 as our family has a social gathering on New Years day so there will be a few toasts to participate in.  I will extend dry January into February by one day to make up for it :)   Happy New Years to everyone.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:01 PM, JoeMendoza said:

I don't really drink much to begin with - so having a dry January is totally doable. However, I would love for someone or a few to get me real wet in January. LOL.

Oh @JoeMendozaI could suggest a few ways for us to get wet.  Of course, we'll begin with a nice redwine and see what else we can think of.  I do enjoy my drinks, there's no denying it, in moderation of course.  Life is very stressful especially with this COVID chasing us everywhere.  It caused me to limit my massage activity, so I need a drink to help me cope.  😎

30 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I think Southern Comfort is also orangy in taste but it's been 50 odd years since I had any. Too much in fact at a fraternity party and I have never touched it since. Lol

Yes, orange, apricot, fruity taste.  Goes great on the rocks with ginger ale or club soda.  When you need to warm up, add a couple of shots to hot tea.  A great hot toddy.  CHEERS guys!! A happy & Healthy new year to us all.

On the evening news panel program last night I learned that in addition to Dryuary, this month is also Veganuary. The 'also' is my characterisation, not one that its proponents made. I can assure engaged forum members that I will be giving this initiative the same excited and enthusiastic consideration as I am giving Dryuary.