Don't Look Up on Netflix

Lucky
This topic is 851 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

IK just finished watching it but only saw one epilogue.  I will go back and watch until the end of the credits.  I found it more than a little disturbing and while I can see the relationship to the Covid epidemic, I think the analogies to global warming are just as stark.  The animals shown in flashes are mostly endangered and people blindly ignoring all the warnings related to global warning to a T.  Of course, people ignoring the vaccine also parallels the story,  

Meryl Streep does an interesting take on the President with more than a few parodies of  Trump.  

Edited by purplekow

21 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

just finished it.....lots of inside jokes and easy satire targets, sometimes too easy.....clever and sharp.....ending did get seriously sad, despite the predominantly funny tone of the production.....refreshing to see Ariana Grande's self-deprecating humorous role.....

In a sense I found the end uplifting, the homage to the Mills Brothers "Till Then", and how Mindy and crew joined together for a moment of sharing in Michigan, how they had their memories of a life well lived, which can never be taken away.  For me, I needed to hear that. 

Although there are oceans we must cross
And mountains that we must climb
I know every gain must have a loss
So pray that our loss is nothing but time

Till then, let's dream of what there will be
Till then, we'll call on each memory
Till then, when I will hold you again
Please wait till then

On 1/2/2022 at 3:31 PM, jeezifonly said:

The President was miscast. Love me some Meryl but if they needed it to be a star, Jean Smart would have better served the part. 

I cannot envision Jean Smart portraying an ex-stripper even with the long blond wig that Streep used to look the part.  

In general though I think she could have done a good job with the role.  

Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a 55% splat, 2nd lowest of major movies out now. MetaCritic rates it lower.

McKay's movies are not particularly pointed in their satire and, as time has gone on, have increasingly settled into their preferred form of a harangue.--New York Magazine

Don't Look Up is a blunt instrument in lieu of a sharp razor, and while McKay may believe that we're long past subtlety, it doesn't mean that one man's wake-up-sheeple howl into the abyss is funny, or insightful, or even watchable.--Rolling Stone

"Don't Look Up" makes a few decent points and gets a chuckle or two, but mostly, it is leaden when it could be farcical, sluggish when it could be screwball. This end of the world comedy should have just been more fun.-- Salon

There's nothing more excruciating than watching very famous people work entirely too hard to be funny.--Newsday

"2021's "Mars Attacks !""--review   (I think that's a put-down of "Mars Attacks"/ Tim Burton).

"Jokes with a flatness we haven't seen since Paris Hilton nudes"--review

I thought the only funny thing in the movie was the general scamming for a couple dollars in the waiting room, and that wasn't even done well.  

Edited by tassojunior

Don't Look Up is the most watched movie on Netflix- ever!

From WSJ:

“Don’t Look Up” is topping the charts. 

The film had more than 152 million hours of viewership on Netflix Inc. NFLX -1.88% in the week ended Jan. 2, , according to the streaming service. That is a record high for the most weekly hours viewed for a film on Netflix, a company spokeswoman said.

“Don’t Look Up” was first on Netflix’s weekly top 10 ranking for the second consecutive week. Written and directed by Adam McKay, it made its debut last month in movie theaters and on Netflix.

“I’m straight up flabbergasted by this,” Mr. McKay said on Twitter

A revised hilarious storyline proposed in yesterday's New York Times. A critic's piece on how the movie could have been much better story wise. I like it a lot. Paywalled so here's the basic part:

""But since the movie is almost the comprehensive portrait of decadence we need, I’m going to offer some script doctoring, and give you the cut of “Don’t Look Up” that might have been, had somebody hired me to consult. Here goes:

Act 1: The comet is discovered by amateur astronomy geeks who comb telescope footage the government collects but doesn’t bother to examine. Their findings are hyped by a mix of doomsday preppers and tech bros, while academic authorities dismiss the claims as misinformation and Twitter censors users who insist the comet is going to hit Earth.

Act 2: A group of Harvard astronomers confirm the comet’s dire trajectory, and suddenly the media turns on a dime and begins hyping the threat. But the president, a right-wing populist aiming for re-election, prefers to postpone dealing with it, so she hypes an obscure Bible-college astronomer who thinks the chance of impact is under 10 percent.

Act 3: After protests roil the country, the president reverses course and announces a massive nuclear strike. However, the head of NASA, a media darling, insists that blowing up the comet will rain down fragments and kill too many people, and you need a more limited strike— the subject of his own dissertation, as it happens — that knocks it off course. Fox News vilifies him, but the mainstream media insists his strategy is simply Science and no serious person could oppose it. So the United States tries his plan — and it fails completely, because his dissertation was actually based on fraudulent experiments that never replicated outside his lab.

Act 4: Now the president orders the full blow-it-up strike, but it fails as well — because most of the nukes don’t work, the military having failed to inspect its arsenal because that part of the budget was spent hiring TikTok influencers to do a new recruitment pitch for Gen Z. In desperation, the government turns to an Elon Musk-style tech wizard, whose Great Bore drill promises to deliver a warhead into the heart of the comet. Unfortunately he supervises the mission himself, and it goes fatally awry when he gets distracted by a Twitter flamewar.

Act 5: Out of options, part of America pretends the comet isn’t coming, while another part joins a cult that holds mass repentance ceremonies for white patriarchy’s sins. At the last minute, a collection of Chinese drones ascend to meet the comet and dismember it, letting its pieces fall into the Pacific to be mined by Chinese deep-sea robots — but a shower “accidentally” hits the continental United States, knocking out our infrastructure and leaving the world’s former superpower in the dark.

Roll credits, in Chinese. I’ll see you all at the Oscars.""

Edited by tassojunior