MLB 2022 Baseball Season

Lucky

I'm thinking Astros in 5 for the world series. The Phillies got a little lucky having to only go through the Cardinals & Padres and avoiding the Braves & Dodgers. And also the Mets who dominated the Phillies during the regular season. The Phils & Astros actually will be pretty familiar with each other. They played each other the final weekend of the regular season down in Houston with the Astros taking 2 of 3. 

Edited by BuffaloKyle

I stopped watching baseball a long time ago, after I moved to California and had no home team to root for. But during the 38 years I lived in Philadelphia I was a a Phillies fan, so on the weekend I watched the games in Philly on TV, and it all came back to me, even though I didn't know who any of the players were. For the first time in years, I have a reason to watch the World Series!

I don't know how they called that Kyle Schwarber foul ball a home run at first in the 8th inning! 🤣

It was very obvious watching on TV it went to the right of the pole. Guess harder to see on the field. But then I thought for sure he hit it out on the next pitch. The outfielder ran right up against the wall and when I saw he wasn't gonna jump I figured cause it was gone but he didn't have to. 

St Louis Cardinals all star third baseball  Nolan Arenado has not exercised his final opt out.

Nolan is now signed with the Cards for five more years 

He was traded to the Cards from Denver two years ago

in  2021 and 2022 Nolan hit 30 home runs and knocked in 100 runs

29 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Unlike pro football, which recruits most of its players from American college teams, pro baseball does much of its recruiting in Latin America, where the major attraction for young athletes is baseball. There are dark faces on the Phillies roster, but they are all from countries that border the Caribbean.

47 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Unlike pro football, which recruits most of its players from American college teams, pro baseball does much of its recruiting in Latin America, where the major attraction for young athletes is baseball. There are dark faces on the Phillies roster, but they are all from countries that border the Caribbean.

Tell that to the baseball fans who remember Branch Rickey. He signed  Jackey  Robinson to the Dodgers. Later he was general  manager of the Cardinals.

For years  many  black residents of  Philadelphia wore Carldinal Caps. Especially in honor of Ozzie Smith and Willie McGee.  And manager and general manager Whitney Herzog.

Edited by WilliamM

55 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Tell that to the baseball fans who remember Branch Rickey. He signed  Jackey  Robinson to the Dodgers. Later he was general  manager of the Cardinals.

For years  many  black residents of  Philadelphia wore Carldinal Caps. Especially in honor of Ozzie Smith and Willie McGee.  And manager and general manager Whitney Herzog.

I am simply explaining the situation now, when baseball is no longer the most attractive professional goal for most young black athletes in the US, because it is no longer the "national pastime." College (and high school) baseball teams don't get anywhere near the same attention as football teams or basketball teams

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I am simply explaining the situation now, when baseball is no longer the most attractive professional goal for most young black athletes in the US, because it is no longer the "national pastime." College (and high school) baseball teams don't get anywhere near the same attention as football teams or basketball teams

It may depend on one's favorite team:     "In 2022  Dodgers, Cardinals pace attendance, but  league wide numbers are still worrisome"

Baseball season is over and now it is wait 'til next year for fans of the other 29 teams.  I watched more baseball this year than in any year in the last 20.  Before that, I watched baseball all the time.  As a Met fan, it was a mixed bag.  Great beginning.  A bunch of key injuries.  Terrible decisions at the trading deadline.  The relentless Braves winning at a record pace not allowing the Mets to make an error.  They did so in losing three. in a row to both the Cubs and the Braves.  Then 2 of the starting pitchers in the playoffs have their worst starts of the year and it was all over.  Glad the Phillies did not win as the Mets had 14 more wins than they did and they wound up with a rather easy path to the WS.  The Astros at least won the second most games of any team and the most in the American League so they are a representative winner.  

Not looking forward to the schedule changes for next even though the Mets had a slightly harder schedule than the Braves with whom they lost the division title to in a tie breaker.   Balanced schedule bring yearly series with Oakland, Seattle, Angles, Twins, Tigers and Royals among other AL dregs.  The NL has their bottom feeders as well but at least their is a tradition with those teams as opposed to the AL team.   I think the balanced schedule with be gone at the next opportunity to do so.