MLB 2022 Baseball Season

Lucky

On 8/27/2022 at 5:49 AM, BSR said:

A balk??  The HBPs and walks are understandable given it was his major league debut, but a balk ... hooooooboy.  As disastrous as his first outing was, I still hope the poor guy gets a second chance

On 8/29/2022 at 7:50 PM, WilliamM said:

Good for him.

Late-emerging Cy Young candidate Greg Weissert had quite an appearance in game one today.  He entered in the 12th with the anemic-hitting Yanks already down 4-3 & the bases loaded with Carlos Correa & cousin Jose 'samhexum keeps calling me Juan, who used to be a Yankee' Miranda due up.  He threw 3 pitches & got both out, then got his 3rd win in his last 5 appearances when they rallied in the bottom half.

13 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Ugh, the Braves have finally caught the Mets after being in sole possession of first place of the NL East pretty much all year! No one in the lineup is doing much hitting and that bullpen has been so unreliable outside of Diaz all year too. They were lucky to have been on top as long as they were. 

Or...  they played great and built a big early lead, then played mostly solidly through a long run of pitching injuries, and were finally caught by a red-hot team that obviously has a blackmail tape to hold over the god of rookies.

And that's said by a guy that's rooting for the Braves.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:38 AM, samhexum said:

Yankees' new catcher is absolutely jacked

There may not be a jersey big enough

Photo via Brace Hemmelgarn, Twins photographer
Photo via Brace Hemmelgarn, Twins photographer

The Yankees and Twins pulled off a huge trade on Sunday night -- the highlights seeming to be Minnesota getting Gary Sánchez and Gio Urshela, with New York acquiring Josh Donaldson and Isiah Kiner-Falefa.

But the Yanks also got another big piece that may have slipped under the radar. And we'd like to put a major emphasis on big because, well, just look at this dude.

That's 24-year-old catcher Ben Rortvedt. He was rated the best defensive catcher in the Twins' system last season, he's an exceptional framer and some scouts believe he may eventually have 20-HR power. And yes, as you could probably see from outer space, he is exceedingly yoked.

Although he does work hard in the gym, many Twins coaches and teammates believed that Rortvedt was just born this way. You know, like Superman. MLB.com's Do-Hyoung Park did a full profile on the catcher's biceps last year and reliever Tyler Duffey gave the only plausible explanation.

"We were actually just talking about this," Duffey said. "It's not like he's doing some ungodly amount of weights. He was just touched by God and is gifted in what he's got." Is that in every way?!?!?

After a summer of injuries, Rortvedt has finally been called up, especially as catcher Jose Trevino shot some sperm nine months ago and is now on the paternity list. Rortvedt didn't play last night, but I am hopeful for today. The Yankees are essentially going with a minor league roster anyway.

8 hours ago, Lucky said:

After a summer of injuries, Rortvedt has finally been called up, especially as catcher Jose Trevino shot some sperm nine months ago and is now on the paternity list. Rortvedt didn't play last night, but I am hopeful for today. The Yankees are essentially going with a minor league roster anyway.

8 hours ago, Lucky said:

E0QmYDQWQAQvcic?format=jpg&name=small

On 8/26/2022 at 1:30 PM, WilliamM said:

Paul  Goldschmidt has an outside chance of finishing first in the National League in batting average, Home Runs and Runs Batted In

I'm rooting for him to do it, but Schwarber's 2 HR ahead and the HR & RBI leaders are bunched close together.  Freddie Freeman has passed him in average.   (4-4 tonight got him to .330)  Plus he (and the adorable one) had a fairly quiet week.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:37 AM, Lucky said:

I saw Aaron Judge hit his 50th and 51st home runs.

But you know who could win the Triple Crown?  Judge is 4th in average, 1 point behind 3rd, and 11 points behind leader Xander Boegarts.  He's considered the favorite to lead the league in HR & RBI.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

5 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Nolan Arenado talked more about Albert Pujols' home run last night than his own three runs batted in. Albert now has 696  home runs.

Goldy & the adorable one (sounds like a Disney movie) were off today.  Mr. Poo Holes hit # 697.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

Former big league reliever Anthony Varvaro died in a car accident this morning, according to multiple media reports.  The 37-year-old Varvaro became a New York/New Jersey Port Authority police officer after retiring from baseball, and the car accident took place while he was heading for duty at the September 11th memorial service today in downtown New York City.

A Staten Island native, Varvaro’s pro baseball career began when the Mariners selected him in the 12th round of the 2005 draft.  Varvaro made his big league debut with the Mariners in 2010, and then spent the next four seasons pitching with the Braves before tossing 11 innings with the Red Sox in 2015, his final MLB season.

anthony-varvaro-papd-comp.jpg?quality=75

Edited by samhexum

On 9/8/2022 at 3:37 AM, Lucky said:

I saw Aaron Judge hit his 50th and 51st home runs.

Aaron-Judge-Family3.jpg

Judge hit 58 and 59 today. Ruth hit 60. I think Judge will hit 60 in fewer games than Ruth took to reach the milestone. As for 61, it should happen next week too!  But I think Judge will also hit it in fewer games than Maris took.

When Maris hit his 61st, many said it wasn't the "real" record because Ruth had to do it in a 154 game season and Maris didn't. Judge will put an end to that controversy.

But, will he get his haircut first or go the Samson route?

rgaggag.jpg?fit=556,708&ssl=1

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

Judge hit 58 and 59 today.

He has a 15 RBI lead so if he can gain 2 points in average over Arraez (& Boegarts), it'll only be a question of whether or not he can hold onto the HR lead to win the Triple Crown.

A new AL HR record, a triple crown, $40 mil/yr for X # of years... not a bad season if he keeps up his scorching September  (27-55 so far).

Elsewhere in the MLB Records Dept:  Framber Valdez set the one-season record for consecutive quality starts with his 25th in a row.  2 pitchers have had longer streaks over multiple seasons.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:29 PM, samhexum said:

He has a 15 RBI lead so if he can gain 2 points in average over Arraez (& Boegarts), it'll only be a question of whether or not he can hold onto the HR lead to win the Triple Crown.

20 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

He has a 22 home run lead in the AL! 🤔

Are you saying you don't think Alvarez, Trout. or Ohtani can have a hot 2 weeks and pass him?  Oh ye, of little faith!

13 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Great news

Harrison Bader is almost ready to play for the Yankees!

10 hours ago, samhexum said:

You just want to see what that tushy looks like in pinstripes! 

(So do I, but Yankee butts tend to look better in their road uniforms.)

11 minutes ago, Lucky said:

I saw the Yankees in their road uniforms last week. Not great eye candy as the pants are too baggy,

Not with the right butts.  Pettitte's and Texiera's were works of art in grey.

image.jpeg.abaec79ebbfe8287e338d09b1287d6be.jpeg  381ae271d37ae007933d250b2e63845c - a photo on Flickriver

Let's Bring Back These Baseball Jersey Numbers | Stadium Talk

On 9/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, WilliamM said:

Great news

Harrison Bader is almost ready to play for the Yankees!

I'm seriously worried that @WilliamM might have hurt himself jumping up & down to celebrate Harrison Bader's triumphant Yankee debut.

2nd at bat he hit a game-tying single, then ran around the bases on that notorious foot (actually, on BOTH feet) to score the go ahead run.   Next time up, Yanks again down by 1, he drove in 2 with another single.  He was left stranded at third, but not before slipping while rounding the base and landing on that prized posterior of his.  There were unsubstantiated reports of a 'mature' gentleman from Pennsylvania trying to get on the field to inspect the area for bruises.

The game continues...  Judge has 2 weak ground outs, a walk, and a strikeout so far.  He sits at 59.  Probably didn't want to upstage Harrison's big night.  What a nice guy!

WHAT A SPECTACULAR ENDING TO WHAT WAS GOING TO BE A TERRIBLE LOSS...

The bullpen had imploded, and the Yanks trailed 8-4 going into the bottom of the 9th, then some guy (I forget who) hit his 60th HR off Red Ruffing's great great nephew before the Yanks loaded the bases and Stanton (mired in a horrific slump) hit a walk-off grand slam!

Oh... and that guy with the 60 HRs now leads in the batting race by a point as of the end tonight's games.

lelson.gif

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it