MLB 2022 Baseball Season

Lucky

Matt 'If I Were A' Carpenter has done it again!  My nicknames for him have obviously been a good luck charm and I am responsible for this surge.  I wish I could give myself an applause emoji.

He had become the third man to have his first 3 Yankee hits be homers (Soriano, Higashioka), but he singled tonight before homering.  He's 5-19, 4 HR, 3 BB for a .263/.364/.895 batting line.

Damn, I'm good.  I'm going to run out of nicknames soon at this rate.

Oh, and SF Giants SS Brandon Crawford's brother in-law was perfect through 6 2/3.  I had nothing to do with that. Last tonight Taillon was perfect through 7.  They held on for a 13-0 win. The Yankee starting pitching has been pretty decent recently. 

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, they became the first team in the expansion era (since 1961) with two starting pitchers working at least six perfect innings in back-to-back games.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

Nestor has excused Kaat's behavior.

“Hey everybody, Jim Kaat has spent an entire lifetime in this game we love,” Cortes tweeted. “He reached out to me and apologized for his remark [Thursday] night, but he didn’t need to. We all make mistakes and feel 100% there was no malice intended. I plan on lifting him up with this tweet and I hope others do, too. No sweat here Jim!” 

https://nypost.com/2022/06/03/nestor-cortes-absolves-jim-kaat-for-nestor-the-molester-remark/

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

Matt 'If I Were A' Carpenter has done it again!  My nicknames for him have obviously been a good luck charm and I am responsible for this surge.  I wish I could give myself an applause emoji.

He had become the third man to have his first 3 Yankee hits be homers (Soriano, Higashioka), but he singled tonight before homering.  He's 5-19, 4 HR, 3 BB for a .263/.364/.895 batting line.

Damn, I'm good.  I'm going to run out of nicknames soon at this rate.

Oh, and SF Giants SS Brandon Crawford's brother in-law was perfect through 6 2/3.  I had nothing to do with that. Last tonight Taillon was perfect through 7.  The Yankee starting pitching has been pretty decent recently.

Yanks clinging to a 12-0 lead.

Despite not signing Matt Carpenter again, the Cardinals have the second highest attendence in major league baseball, behind only the Los Angeles Dodgers

How about this for a run of dominant starting pitching:

Taillon 7 IP, 1R

Severino 7 IP, 0R

Cole 8 IP 0BB  11K, but 5 runs because of one bad inning

Montgomery 6 IP + one batter, 2R

JP Sears 1st ML start  5 IP, 0R

Nestor the Protester  8 IP + one batter, 1R 

Taillon 8 IP, 0R, 2 hits

Cole 6 IP 1R, 2 hits

Severino 6 1/3 IP 4 R, 2 hits

Montgomery 7 IP, 1R

Nestor the Protester 7 IP, 0R

Taillon 8 IP, 1R, 2 hits, perfect through 7

Cole 7 IP, 0R, 2 hits, perfect through 6 2/3

The starter has allowed 2 hits in 5 of the last 7 games, and has gone 6 or more innings in 8 straight, and 12 of 13, with the only one <6 being 5 shutout innings in a rookie's 1st start.

Totals:  90 1/3 IP (2 outs short of 7 IP per game), 16 runs in 13 games (9 runs in 2 games, 7 runs in the other 11).  They're only 8-5 in those games because of some bullpen & hitting problems.

NEXT DAY...

This is getting ridiculous.  Severino was only perfect through one today, then Miguel Cabrera hit a line drive right to short that went off Kiner-Falefa's glove.  It was immediately called a hit.

And that was the Tigers' offense (+ one walk).

Severino  7 IP, 1H, 0R, 1BB, 10K, 92 pitches.

The last 3 games, the starters:  22 IP, 5H, 1R  The last 5:  36 IP, 14H, 2R

Judge batted lead-off and homered on the 1st pitch, his 20th in 38 games. Other Yankees to do that:  Ruth (5 times), Maris & Mantle (both in 1961).

How the New York Yankees' starting pitchers have fared for the past month (May 5 through June 4) and where they rank among MLB rotations:

NYY STARTERS   RANK
Record 15-2 1st
Innings pitched 177.2 1st
ERA 2.33 1st
K/9 9.27 3rd
BB/9 1.52 1st
Hits/9 6.03 1st
HR/9 0.76 2nd
Fastball velocity 95.3 3rd

After 11 straight losses, the LA Angels were ahead in Philly 6-2. Then Bryce Harper hit a grand slam and the Phillies tied the game. The Angels went ahead in the 9th, only to lose again.

Hard to figure why a team that was doing so well just fell apart!

https://nypost.com/2022/06/05/phillies-rally-extends-angels-losing-streak-makes-fans-day/

Edited by Lucky

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34043550/kevin-cash-says-pride-night-logo-opt-some-tampa-bay-rays-players-divide-team

A number of Tampa Bay Rays players decided not to wear rainbow-colored logos on their uniforms as part of the team's annual "Pride Night" on Saturday that recognized the LGBTQ community.

Rays manager Kevin Cash addressed it after Sunday's game, saying he doesn't think it'll negatively impact the clubhouse because discussions among the players over the past few weeks were constructive and emphasized the value of differing perspectives.

"First and foremost, I think the organization has done a really good thing to have Pride Nights supporting our gay community to come out and have a nice night at the ballpark," Cash said. "Impressed that our players have had those conversions and we want to support our players that choose to wear or choose not to wear to the best of our capabilities."

Among players who elected to remove the logos were pitchers Jason Adam, Jalen Beeks, Brooks Raley, Jeffrey Springs and Ryan Thompson, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Adam was elected to speak for the group after the game, saying it was a "faith-based decision" for many of them.

"So it's a hard decision," Adam told the Tampa Bay Times. "Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here. But when we put it on our bodies, I think a lot of guys decided that it's just a lifestyle that maybe -- not that they look down on anybody or think differently -- it's just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior.

"... It's not judgmental. It's not looking down. It's just what we believe the lifestyle he's encouraged us to live, for our good, not to withhold. But again, we love these men and women, we care about them, and we want them to feel safe and welcome here."

"It's one of those things, my parents taught me to love everyone as they are, go live your life, whatever your preferences are, go be you," centerfielder Kevin Kiermaier, who wore the rainbow logos, told the Times. "I can't speak for everyone who's in here, obviously, but this is a family-friendly environment here at a big league ballfield.

"... We just want everyone to feel welcomed and included and cheer us on. No matter what your views on anything are." You just knew the man with the most beautiful eyes in baseball would have a sensitive take on the subject.  SIGH!

St Louis Cardinals outspoken pitcher Jack Flaherty's response was an "absolute joke" according to Sports Illustrated.

Flaherty's season was cut short in 2021 after winning his first seven games. The Cardinals still consider him their ace next to Adam Wainwright.

Edited by WilliamM

On 5/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, samhexum said:

The Reds lost a game today in which they gave up no hits. Fireballing rookie Hunter Greene held the Pirates hitless through 7 1/3 when they removed him after 118 pitches after he'd given up his 4th & 5th walks.  The reliever let in a run without a hit, and Greene got the loss... With a TJ surgery in his past, I'm shocked they left him in for so long. I thought he'd be out after 6 (93 pitches) or 7 (103).  To add insult to injury for the Reds, it's not even an official no-hitter because they were the road team and only threw 8 innings.

Interesting game for Greene last night vs. Arizona.  The leadoff man bunted for a hit, was thrown out stealing as the 2nd batter struck out, and that was it.  The game was called after 7 because of rain, so it goes down as his first CG & shutout.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

Eduardo Escobar hit the 11th cycle in Mets history last night and had 6 RBI in their 11-5 win over San Diego. They are playing so well it's crazy. Almost every player on their roster has had a huge night lately and carried them to a win. I'm really hoping they have a healthy deGrom and Scherzer when they get to the playoffs. They just need to pick up a bullpen arm at some point before the trade deadline. 

In the ha ha ha department, former Yankee Clint Frazier was mouthing off against the Yankees before his team, the Cubs, plays a weekend series in New York.

Today, before the first game even started, Frazier was released by the CUBS.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/10/cubs-dfa-clint-frazier-ahead-of-showdown-with-yankees/

Before the dfa, he had this to say:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/clint-frazier-takes-more-shots-at-yankees/ar-AAYjSl8

Edited by Lucky

Steve Sax says his 33-year-old son, who had always dreamed of being a pilot, was among the five U.S. Marines killed during a training flight crash earlier this week in the California desert.

Capt. John J. Sax was among the aircrew of an Osprey tiltrotor aircraft that went down during training in a remote area in Imperial County, about 115 miles east of San Diego and about 50 miles from Yuma, Arizona.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Steve Sax says his 33-year-old son, who had always dreamed of being a pilot, was among the five U.S. Marines killed during a training flight crash earlier this week in the California desert.

Capt. John J. Sax was among the aircrew of an Osprey tiltrotor aircraft that went down during training in a remote area in Imperial County, about 115 miles east of San Diego and about 50 miles from Yuma, Arizona.

Steve Sax very sadly, "This lose will change my life forever."

The Yankees NEVER score for Jordan Montgomery.  This happened all of last season, too...  They've scored 16 runs in his 7 starts.  His outings are usually short, as the games are tight and the Yanks have a terrific pen, but he's been quite good overall.  They are 2-5 in his starts, 23-4 in everyone else's.

I think we can put the 'they don't score for him' narrative to bed.  They've given him run support in his last few starts.  Tonight, through 5 innings, they have one single, no walks, and 6 solo homers.

I've done it again!

After a game-tying bases loaded walk in the 1st, Matt 'Does A Plumber Make More Than A' Carpenter got his 6th hit - and 5th homer - in the 2nd.

8-1 Yanks after 2.

(Later...)

I have to start billing the Yanks.  ANOTHER one for Matt 'Does A Plumber Make More Than A' Carpenter, then an RBI double.  In his 1st start in the field he is 3-4 with a walk, a double, 2 homers, 3 R, 7 RBI.

Yanks clinging to a 17-4 lead after 7.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

On 5/11/2022 at 12:35 AM, samhexum said:

So... only a month into the season and it looks like most of the playoff teams are already obvious.

NL:  Mets, Dodgers, Brewers, Giants and 2 of Padres/Cards/Braves.

AL:  Yanks, Rays, Angels, Astros, the Central champ, and either the Jays or the Central's 2nd place team, who might get in by slaughtering the Royals & Pussy Cats Tigers.

What say you?

OOPSIE!

On 5/11/2022 at 11:15 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

AL East: Yankees

AL Central: White Sox

AL West: Astros

WCS: Angels, Blue Jays, Rays

NL East: Mets

NL Central: Brewers

NL West: Dodgers

WCS: Padres, Giants, Braves

OOPSIE!

On 5/17/2022 at 7:39 AM, samhexum said:

More than a month into the 2022 Major League Baseball season, some East Coast/West Coast history is being made.

Both New York teams -- the Mets and Yankees -- and both Los Angeles teams -- the Angels and Dodgers -- are on pace to win 100-plus games. But even more historic: All four teams are in first place in their respective divisions -- the first time that has happened in MLB history.

OOPSIE!

The top 2 hitters in Miami's lineup today are named Jesus (Sanchez, Aguilar).  Are they trying to court favor with the man upstairs?  BTW, they put Jesus Lazaro on the IL today with a forearm strain. Jeez, that a lot of Jesuses (Jesi?) (Jesia?).

Sanchez & Aguilar went on the IL today.  It can't be a good sign when all of your Jesuses are hurt, right?

On 6/11/2022 at 8:59 PM, samhexum said:

I think we can put the 'they don't score for him' narrative to bed.  They've given him run support in his last few starts.  Tonight, through 5 innings, they have one single, no walks, and 6 solo homers.  (previous post from 5/15:  The Yankees NEVER score for Jordan Montgomery.  This happened all of last season, too.  They've scored 16 runs in his 7 starts...  They are 2-5 in his starts, 23-4 in everyone else's.)

4 HR, 12 R (8 in the 5th) for Mr. No-Run-Support tonight.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

I always thought Kyle Farnsworth was fairly good-looking.

spacer.png

He's now a 46 year old bodybuilder.

4 days out to my first body building competition. Classic Physique. These past few days have been fun with no carbs! #classicphysique #bodybuilding #pitcherswholift #npc #southernnational #hardwork #tats #sheruclassic,”

farnsworth4.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=7

On 6/10/2022 at 5:22 PM, Lucky said:

In the ha ha ha department, former Yankee Clint Frazier was mouthing off against the Yankees before his team, the Cubs, plays a weekend series in New York.

Today, before the first game even started, Frazier was released by the CUBS.

Say goodbye to Clint Frazier. 

The former Yankees outfielder — currently playing for the Cubs’ Triple-A affiliate — is ditching his first name. From now on, Frazier will go by his middle name, Jackson. 

Frazier explained to Alex Cohen, a broadcaster for the Iowa Cubs, that his family and friends often refer to him as Jackson; his former teammates with the big-league Cubs did, too.

Clint-Frazier-Jackson-name.jpg?quality=7

Last night Ohtani had two 3-run homers and 2 sacrifice flies... and his team lost.

Tonight he has struck out 10 with no walks in 5 shutout innings... and his team is tied 0-0.

Yup, he really picked the right organization 5 playoff-less years ago.

What a game it was last night as the Yankees defeated the hated Astros in a come from behind ninth inning victory.

That's what makes baseball exciting!

And, to top it off, the Yankees have become a founding supporter of the Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center:

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-pride-live-support-stonewall-national-monument-visitor-center

On 6/3/2022 at 12:19 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

Bad choice of words from Twins broadcaster Jim Kaat. He was talking about the Twins facing Nestor Cortes and the Yankees next week and he called him "Nestor the Molester".

On 6/3/2022 at 11:02 PM, Lucky said:

Nestor has excused Kaat's behavior.

Nestor Cortes presented broadcaster and Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Kaat with the franchise's Lifetime Achievement Award on Thursday night, about three weeks after Kaat used an offensive nickname when talking about New York's breakout left-hander.

The 83-year-old Kaat called the pitcher "Nestor the Molester" during a Minnesota Twins telecast this month, then reached out to Cortes to apologize. Cortes told The Associated Press later that night that he hadn't taken offense and later tweeted to say he'd readily accepted Kaat's apology.

"Jim Kaat has spent an entire lifetime in this game we love," Cortes wrote. "He reached out to me and apologized for his remark last night, but he didn't need to. We all make mistakes and feel 100% there was no malice intended. I plan on lifting him up with this tweet and I hope others do too. No sweat here Jim!"

Cortes presented Kaat with a clear trophy near home plate before New York's opener of a four-game series against the Houston Astros. Kaat pitched for 25 seasons and was a longtime commentator who also worked for the Yankees.