MLB 2022 Baseball Season

Lucky

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

The Yankees were pretty lackluster last year, so I am surprised to see that they are pretty lackluster this year.  The Angels are much more watchable.

So is paint drying.  And drying paint doesn't have Tyler Wade playing for it!

BTW, as an Angels and Yankees fan, you must be enjoying the start Andrew Heaney has gotten off to for the Dodgers.

7 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I'm surprised they took him out! Wow! He's not gonna last though. To be throwing 101 in the 8th inning still. He's gonna wreck his arm. Look at my man deGrom. He was throwing that velocity all game long too for a season and a half until he broke last July and hasn't been back yet. 

Yeah, but he's 20, and deGrom is closer to 45 than to 20.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

On 4/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, samhexum said:

Yeah, but he's 20, and deGrom is closer to 45 than to 20.

I just saw some highlights of him on ESPN and his delivery is pretty wild. I hope he lasts long enough to see him in the MLB but I doubt it. Reminds me of Tim Lincecum who broke down relatively quickly from his funky delivery. 

Edited by BuffaloKyle

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

Albert Pujols is only 19 home runs shy of 700.

Great effort, Mr. Cardinal

I don't see him reaching 700 unfortunately. His high since 2016 was 23 HRs in 2017 and 2019 but that was also when he was still playing in almost every game. To reach 700 would mean 21 total homers this year in roughly 80 to 90 games.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

15 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I don't see him reaching 700 unfortunately. His high since 2016 was 23 HRs in 2017 and 2019 but that was also when he was still playing in almost every game. To reach 700 would mean 21 total homers this year in roughly 80 to 90 games.

Albert could pass Alex Rodriquez at 696 in 4th place in home runs. If he stays healthy and involved.

But the best player is Nolan Aranado and The Gold Gloves in the outfield, especially Carlson.

https://www.aol.com/sports/monmouth-university-law-class-tries-112924898.html

Monmouth University law class tries to

save Armando Galarraga's (almost) perfect game

It’s one of the most infamous mistakes in sports history.

Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was denied a perfect game in 2010 when an umpire erroneously ruled that the 27th batter, with two outs in the ninth inning, had beaten a throw to first base.

The umpire and the batter both admitted the call was wrong, but Major League Baseball’s commissioner refused to overturn the umpire’s decision and award Galarraga the 21st perfect game in the sport’s 134-year history. Support to overturn came from the White House, the governor of Michigan and all corners of the media.

Add a new group to that list: 16 members of a Monmouth University “Law and Society” course and their professor, retired New Jersey Superior Court judge Lawrence Jones, have submitted an 82-page document to current MLB commissioner Rob Manfred that makes a case for Galarraga’s addition to the list of perfect games.

Galarraga, who is now retired from baseball and living in Texas, was so touched by the effort that he conducted a Zoom meeting with the students to tell his story and express appreciation.

“It’s amazing, what they’ve done,” he told the Asbury Park Press via phone last week. “I’m floored.”

The point of the project is not just to help Galarraga, although that is certainly its focus.

As Gabriella Griffo, a junior in the course, explained: “It’s about how flexible law really is.”

'It's about promoting fairness'

Jones, a Toms River resident who remains active in law as a mediator, typically gears the course around a semester-long project. Many of his students are interested in attending law school. Few of them are avid baseball fans, but he saw Galarraga’s story as an ideal topic.

The perfect game is one of the most hallowed achievements in sports — there hasn't been one in 10 years, although Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw was on his way there last week before his manager pulled him after seven innings out of concern for his arm.

In Galarraga's situation, the classy way he and umpire Jim Joyce handled the mistake provided an enduring lesson in sportsmanship.

“This was something, when it first happened, that really resonated with millions of people around the globe — people who are not necessarily sports fans, and that was the point,” he said. “When you talk about the intersection between legal principles and social principles, it seemed to me this was a classic case for analysis and discussion. You’re studying how rules are created, how rules are interpreted, principles of fairness and equality — this situation is analogous to so many areas of law.”

Citing both non-baseball case law and examples from Major League Baseball’s past, the students’ document argues that Manfred should exercise his authority to right a blatant wrong.

In baseball terms:

• The notion that an umpire’s ruling is final has been dispensed with in the past. In 1983, baseball’s commissioner reversed an umpire’s ruling that Kansas City Royals third baseman George Brett was out because he used too much pine tar on his bat when he hit a home run against the New York Yankees.

• Major League Baseball has changed the status of a historical achievement long after the fact. In 1991, Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Harvey Haddix was removed from the sport’s no-hitter list 32 years after he threw what was classified at the time as a no-hitter. (He had thrown 12 perfect innings, but lost the perfect game on an error and a hit in the 13th inning.)

• The institution of instant replay, which occurred in part because of the Galarraga incident, acknowledges that umpires make mistakes that sometimes require correction.

• The circumstances surrounding Galarraga’s game are unique enough, including indisputable visual evidence and public agreement by all three parties (pitcher, baserunner, umpire) that the call was wrong, that reversing Joyce’s call won’t open a “can of worms” or create “slippery slope” of future call reversals.

Outside of baseball, the students' document cites court decisions supporting the concept that, to quote a ruling from one case (Westinghouse Electric Corp. v. United Electrical Co., 1946), “a wrong suffered without a remedy is a blot upon the sound administration of justice.”

In other words, getting it right is more important than anything else.

“This is about the spirit of the rule and why rules are created,” said Monmouth junior Antonio Bulzomi, one of the document’s authors. “It’s about promoting fairness.”

Excited for homework

The course took place in the fall semester, the report was delivered to Major League Baseball’s headquarters in February, and if nothing else, it was a valuable experience for participants.

“I never thought advocating could be something like this,” said Hannah Latshaw, a senior from Wall who will pursue a graduate degree in social work. “I always thought about legal terms, not societal terms. This class and this situation has helped us learn to advocate in a much broader spectrum.”

Georgia Watkins, a sophomore in the course who hails from Australia and is a member of Monmouth’s swimming team, said she’d never watched baseball before but became enthralled with the project nonetheless.

“It made you excited to do homework for it, which sounds really nerdy, but I really enjoyed it,” she said. “It made me consider studying law.”

For everyone involved, getting to hear directly from Galarraga was icing on the cake. He not only discussed the game in question, but his journey from Venezuela to America and his graceful response to Joyce’s call.

“You hear that (professional) athletes are condescending and pretentious; he had such an incredible story,” said Griffo, who hails from Plumsted. “It makes the fact that he did not get the perfect game that much more bittersweet.”

Griffo, who captains Monmouth’s Model United Nations team and plans to attend law school and study immigration law, found the experience to be galvanizing.

“To see this overturned would be awesome,” she said.

Galarraga is not expecting that. But he recognizes the big-picture value of the Monmouth students’ quest, one that reaches way beyond sports.

“It’s a great job by them,” he told the Asbury Park Press. “They saw something not right and they want to prove a point. I think that’s good. That’s what leads to progress.”

This article originally appeared on Asbury Park Press: Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game appealed by Monmouth U students

Frame grab from Fox Sports Detroit of Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga losing his perfect game when umpire Jim Joyce ruled Cleveland Indians' Jason Donald safe at first base, which would have been the last out of the game, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at Comerica Park.

Comerica Park scoreboard showing Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga's bid for a perfect game against the Cleveland Indians, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at Comerica Park.

Detroit Tigers' Armando Galarraga and Cleveland Indians bench coach Tim Tolman hand the lineups to tearful home plate umpire Jim Joyce, prior to the start of the game Thursday, June 3, 2010 at Comerica Park. Joyce's blown call the night before cost Galarraga a perfect game.Detroit Tigers' Armando Galarraga and Cleveland Indians bench coach Tim Tolman hand the lineups to tearful home plate umpire Jim Joyce, prior to the start of the game Thursday, June 3, 2010 at Comerica Park. Joyce's blown call the night before cost Galarraga a perfect game.
Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

On 4/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, samhexum said:

as an Angels and Yankees fan, you must be enjoying the start Andrew Heaney has gotten off to for the Dodgers.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:25 AM, Lucky said:

Andrew Heaney was a great disappointment with the Yankees. Why couldn't he have shined like this last year?

The Dodgers have announced that Andrew Heaney has been placed on the injured list with left shoulder discomfort. Utility player Zach McKinstry has been recalled to take his place on the roster. No timetable was given for Heaney’s return.

It’s a bit of a surprising move as Heaney had made two excellent starts on the season so far, with no signs of distress. Through 10 1/3 innings on the campaign, he’s racked up 16 strikeouts against three walks, without allowing an earned run. In his MLB time thus far, mostly with the Angels, Heaney has shown tantalizing potential with tremendous strikeout numbers but continually being hampered by the long ball.

It is tough being a lifelong Reds fan.  Nine straight losses.  

Only good thing is that I dropped cable in favor of streaming service over the winter and the Reds are blacked out on MLB and Bally Sports does not air over streaming services, so I don't get to watch the games live.

Looking for another team to cheer for.

You might consider the Mets.  As a Reds fan you are used to losing but I do not believe you know the variety of ways to lose that Mets fans have experienced with a very rare equally bizarre flash of winning.   This year they appear to have a good team but I feel confident that as with last year's team which was in first place for four months only to finish the year under 500, that this year's team will be befouled by a curse of some kind and find the championship out of reach.  

On 4/8/2022 at 5:21 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Mets win on opening day yet again! 😁

On 4/17/2022 at 3:07 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

my man deGrom. He was throwing that velocity all game long too for a season and a half until he broke last July and hasn't been back yet. 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:15 PM, purplekow said:

You might consider the Mets.  As a Reds fan you are used to losing but I do not believe you know the variety of ways to lose that Mets fans have experienced with a very rare equally bizarre flash of winning.   This year they appear to have a good team but I feel confident that as with last year's team which was in first place for four months only to finish the year under 500, that this year's team will be befouled by a curse of some kind and find the championship out of reach. 

51 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Mets finally DFA Cano which they should have done a long time ago. They only have to pay him $24 million for this year and another $24 for next. Yikes.

2286762.gif

On 11/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, Lucky said:

Today the Yankees traded cute Tyler Wade to the Angels

I was reminded by an article yesterday of another reason to hate the owners for the lockout...  Tyler was traded (for basically nothing) to open up a spot on the 40 man roster to protect a minor leaguer in the rule 5 draft... which was cancelled due to the @!%*ing lockout!

I still haven't watched an inning this year, though I'm reading articles & watching highlights...  SO...

This Aaron Judge home run turned into one very uplifting moment.

Judge’s sixth-inning long-ball in the traveled 427 feet into the upper deck at Rogers Centre in Toronto on Tuesday night during the Yankees’ 9-1 win over the Blue Jays. It was quickly picked up by a fan wearing Blue Jays gear — who almost immediately turned around and offered it to a youngster seated behind him wearing a Judge T-shirt.

The feel-good moment — shown the Blue Jays’ Sportsnet broadcast — didn’t stop there. The young Yankees fan teared up at the gesture and hugged who we can only assume is a new friend for life.

“There are Yankee fans all around the world that are passionate about the game,’’Judge said after the game of the heart-warming moment he didn’t see live. “He’s starting out the right way.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqto63A82yE

The Twins' recent call-up, Juan Miranda, has a cousin who's some kind of big deal in the theater world.

Nauseating loss for the Phillies tonight (or thrilling win for the Mets, depending on your perspective)

Steve Cohen wanted to thank fans with partial season ticket plans for staying with them after the lockout, so they're all getting vouchers for 2 free tix.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

11 hours ago, samhexum said:

The Twins' recent call-up, Juan Miranda, has a cousin who's some kind of big deal in the theater world.

Nauseating loss for the Phillies tonight (or thrilling win for the Mets, depending on your perspective)

Steve Cohen wanted to thank fans with partial season ticket plans for staying with them after the lockout, so they're all getting vouchers for 2 free tix.

He has many cousins here in Philly, real cousins