MLB 2022 Baseball Season

Lucky

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

I hope you like this provision I negotiated:

beginning in 2023, the schedule will be adjusted such that every team plays all 29 opponents in each season. The exact format is to be determined, but those games will come attached to a decrease in the number of intra-divisional games teams will play. Previously, teams played 19 games per season against all four of their divisional opponents.

Four baseball teams voted no

Astros

Cardinals

Mets

Yankees

12 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Four baseball teams voted no

Astros

Cardinals

Mets

Yankees

The one reason that I would hate it if I was a player is there is going to be a lot more travel involved now. So they play one opposite league division now so if you play one series against the other two divisions then that's 30 games. So take out 8 interdivision games and instead of 19 you'll play 11 against your other division opponents. That has to stay an odd number to settle head to head tiebreakers. I don't think it's possible for everyone to play a home and home against each other.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

The one reason that I would hate it if I was a player is there is going to be a lot more travel involved now... I don't think it's possible for everyone to play a home and home against each other.

Sure it is.

How about:

two 2-game series vs. each team in the other league = 60

five games vs. the other 10 teams in your league = 50 (alternate who gets the extra home game each year)

13 games between each team within a division = 52  (alternate who gets the extra home game each year)

This way you have an odd number of games against every other team in your league, which makes it easy to settle head to head tiebreakers.  You get 2 home & road series vs. each team in your division and 1 each against everyone else.

You still get more than twice as many games vs. each team in your division than anyone else, which keeps the division races meaningful and 1.7 times as many games within your league than against the other, which keeps the wildcard races meaningful, especially since every team in each league plays the exact same schedule versus the other league.

Travel can be kept to a minimum by making sure teams play as many games as possible in close markets back-to-back:

NYY-NYM-Bos, Cubs-Sox (can be attached to Minn-Mil) , Det-Tor, LAA-LAD-SD, Atl-Miami-Tampa, Balt-Wash-Phil, KC-StL, Oak-SF, Clev-Cin-Pitt, Hous-Tex, Ariz-Col

Only Seattle doesn't have a geographic partner.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

Sure it is.

How about:

five games vs. the other 10 teams in your league = 50 (alternate who gets the extra home game each year)

13 games between each team within a division = 52  (alternate who gets the extra home game each year)

This way you have an odd number of games against every other team in your league, which makes it easy to settle head to head tiebreakers.  You get 2 home & road series vs. each team in your division and 1 each against everyone else.

You still get more than twice as many games vs. each team in your division than anyone else, which keeps the division races meaningful and 1.7 times as many games within your league than against the other, which keeps the wildcard races meaningful.

Travel can be kept to a minimum by making sure teams play all games in close markets back-to-back:

NYY-NYM-Bos, Cubs-Sox (can be attached to Minn-Mil) , Det-Tor, LAA-LAD-SD, Atl-Miami-Tampa, Balt-Wash-Phil, KC-StL, Oak-SF, Clev-Cin-Pitt, Hous-Tex, Ariz-Col

Only Seattle doesn't have a geographic partner.

St. Louis and Kansas City have been playing games in both cites for decades

On 3/11/2022 at 5:42 PM, WilliamM said:

St. Louis and Kansas City have been playing games in both cites for decades

Currently every team has a cross league rival. Every 3 seasons when their respective divisions are scheduled to play each other they'll play two 3 game series. In the two other seasons they'll play two 2 game series.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, samhexum said:

Sure it is.

How about:

I actually did figure it was but didn't feel like doing math! 😁

Although under that format you pretty much are eliminating 4 game series. We'll see what they decide. 

17 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I actually did figure it was but didn't feel like doing math! 😁

Although under that format you pretty much are eliminating 4 game series. We'll see what they decide. 

Each team would play four 4 games series a year...  one against each team in their division.  Do they really play so many more now?

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

My favorite Yankee has been traded! To the Twins! For yucky Josh Donaldson! Horrors!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9W1x9LJR4e/

Donaldson came up as a catcher.  Ralph Kiner-Falafel has caught 70+ games in the majors.  Maybe they're the new catching tandem.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, Lucky said:

My favorite Yankee has been traded! To the Twins! For yucky Josh Donaldson! Horrors!

Yankees' new catcher is absolutely jacked

There may not be a jersey big enough

Photo via Brace Hemmelgarn, Twins photographer
Photo via Brace Hemmelgarn, Twins photographer

The Yankees and Twins pulled off a huge trade on Sunday night -- the highlights seeming to be Minnesota getting Gary Sánchez and Gio Urshela, with New York acquiring Josh Donaldson and Isiah Kiner-Falefa.

But the Yanks also got another big piece that may have slipped under the radar. And we'd like to put a major emphasis on big because, well, just look at this dude.

That's 24-year-old catcher Ben Rortvedt. He was rated the best defensive catcher in the Twins' system last season, he's an exceptional framer and some scouts believe he may eventually have 20-HR power. And yes, as you could probably see from outer space, he is exceedingly yoked.

Although he does work hard in the gym, many Twins coaches and teammates believed that Rortvedt was just born this way. You know, like Superman. MLB.com's Do-Hyoung Park did a full profile on the catcher's biceps last year and reliever Tyler Duffey gave the only plausible explanation.

"We were actually just talking about this," Duffey said. "It's not like he's doing some ungodly amount of weights. He was just touched by God and is gifted in what he's got." Is that in every way?!?!?

11 hours ago, samhexum said:

The Cubs made a very astute signing today.  They got a lefty pitcher, pinch-hitter, and somebody to sing Take Me Out To The Ballgame all in one man: (and he's kinda cute, too)

That reminds me of Jesse Williams on Broadway in "Take Me Out"

On 3/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

I don't think it's possible for everyone to play a home and home against each other.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, Lucky said:

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have reached a tentative agreement to bring the extra-innings ghost runner back for the 2022 season, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Additionally, they have agreed to expand active rosters from 26 to 28 players this season until May 1. The league’s 30 owners need to vote next week to officially ratify the conditions, but Sherman writes that only a simple majority is needed and the provisions aren’t expected to have any issue passing.

Neither development is especially surprising, as reports emerged a couple weeks ago that both were under consideration. The lockout lingered into the second week of March, compressing the Spring Training schedule by two weeks even with the start of the regular season pushed back eight days. The concern is that the shortened ramp-up period might not afford enough time for players to get ready to shoulder a typical regular season workload. By adding a couple players in the early going and limiting the potential for marathon games, the league and union will give managers some extra flexibility in keeping playing time in check.

Sherman adds there won’t be any restrictions on the number of pitchers teams can carry in April. MLB is instituting its 13-pitcher limit this year. That rule change was originally slated to go into effect in 2020, but MLB scrapped it in each of the past two seasons due to concerns about overworking arms while teams were facing the possibility of COVID-19 outbreaks on their rosters. That’ll eventually be a challenge for clubs, but they’ll have some extra leeway on the mound for the first couple weeks of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Umpires will now be equipped with on-field microphones to inform the crowd and television audience of instant replay reviews beginning with exhibition games at stadiums this weekend, Major League Baseball announced Friday.

Crew chiefs will wear a microphone, via a belt pack, and will proceed to one of the baselines when a replay is initiated and face the press box to make the announcement. They'll announce who is making the challenge, what is being challenged, and then -- after the review is completed -- announce the verdict and give a quick explanation.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33645606/mlb-umpires-announce-replay-review-decisions-fans

On 2/19/2022 at 11:15 PM, WilliamM said:

I have absolutely no issues with my team, St. Louis Cardinals. In addition to many good glove winners, the team is unlikely to sign Albert  Pujols as a Designated Hitter.

MLB great announces divorce days after wife's brain surgery

Albert Pujols announced Monday that he and wife Deidre are splitting up, days after she underwent successful surgery to remove a brain tumor.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

Mets win on opening day yet again! 😁

They are now 40-21 all time, best in MLB. They lost their first 8 opening days as well so 40-13 since that stretch. They also are the first team in MLB history to have their opening day starter not get scored on in four straight seasons. 

Edited by BuffaloKyle

19 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Mets win on opening day yet again! 😁

They are now 40-21 all time, best in MLB. They lost their first 8 opening days as well so 40-13 since that stretch. They also are the first team in MLB history to have their opening day starter not get scored on in four straight seasons. 

First impressions can be deceiving.

Speaking of first impressions, Sean Manea was removed from his first Padres start after 7 hitless innings and 88 pitches.  The reliever promptly blew the no-hitter.

On 11/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, Lucky said:

Today the Yankees traded cute Tyler Wade to the Angels, having already traded cute Andrew Velasquez also to the Angels.

Tyler looks like he may be adding some facial hair.  I'm sure it would look yummy!

spacer.png

On 11/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

my Mets are a mess

On 1/7/2022 at 8:49 PM, Lucky said:

Watching baseball on ESPN is nauseating. The announcers think the show is about them, not the game.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, WilliamM said:

Glad to see the New York Mets retire Keith Hernandez 's number.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:47 PM, purplekow said:

I for one am hoping that the whole season goes down the drain.

Japanese phenom Roki Sasaki, 20, throws 19-strikeout perfect game

Japanese pitching phenom Roki Sasaki, 20, extends streak to 17 consecutive perfect innings

How do you improve on perfection? Roki Sasaki is doing his best to find out.

In his first start since throwing the first perfect game in Nippon Professional Baseball since 1994, Sasaki, 20, almost did it again for the Chiba Lotte Marines, as he was pulled after eight perfect innings in a 1-0 loss to the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters on Sunday.

The right-hander amassed 14 strikeouts before he was pulled from a scoreless game after throwing 102 pitches. Of note: He was taken out after he struck out the side in the eighth inning with his pitches reportedly still reaching 101 mph.

Sasaki hasn't allowed an opposing hitter to reach base in an NPB-record 52 consecutive plate appearances.

Through four starts this season, Sasaki has a 1.16 ERA, 56 strikeouts and has allowed seven hits and two walks in 31 innings pitched.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

Tyler looks like he may be adding some facial hair.  I'm sure it would look yummy!

Japanese phenom Roki Sasaki, 20, throws 19-strikeout perfect game

Japanese pitching phenom Roki Sasaki, 20, extends streak to 17 consecutive perfect innings

How do you improve on perfection? Roki Sasaki is doing his best to find out.

In his first start since throwing the first perfect game in Nippon Professional Baseball since 1994, Sasaki, 20, almost did it again for the Chiba Lotte Marines, as he was pulled after eight perfect innings in a 1-0 loss to the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters on Sunday.

The right-hander amassed 14 strikeouts before he was pulled from a scoreless game after throwing 102 pitches. Of note: He was taken out after he struck out the side in the eighth inning with his pitches reportedly still reaching 101 mph.

Sasaki hasn't allowed an opposing hitter to reach base in an NPB-record 52 consecutive plate appearances.

Through four starts this season, Sasaki has a 1.16 ERA, 56 strikeouts and has allowed seven hits and two walks in 31 innings pitched.

There was significant discussion when Kershaw was taken out of a game last week after 7 perfect innings.   Can you imagine the uproar there would have been in the American baseball community if this pitcher was taken out after eight perfect innings after having pitched a perfect game the game prior.  It is an unmatched feat but two perfect games in a row would stand as a unique experience for the entirety of  baseball history.  

I'm surprised they took him out! Wow! He's not gonna last though. To be throwing 101 in the 8th inning still. He's gonna wreck his arm. Look at my man deGrom. He was throwing that velocity all game long too for a season and a half until he broke last July and hasn't been back yet.