Johnson’s 411

andymn

1 hour ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

wrong - gay people are leaving in droves

it’s no secret & has nothing to do with real estate prices in Wilton Manors (Wilton Manors is a dump btw)

why stay in a place openly hostile say my friend who are leaving now - even Georgia is better than Florida these days 
too bad it was all done as a campaign stunt for someone that doesn’t have a chance - due to the unlikeable or “ick” factor 

Nonsense. And I challenge you to show statistics (from an unbiased source) to prove your statement.

And despite protestations from the usual fringe element, Florida is not hostile to anyone. It is welcoming - warm weather, beautiful beaches, no state income tax, and a state where criminals are actually prosecuted.

The fact is, like the rest of America, LGBTs are becoming increasingly divided into two groups: Those who want to be left alone, and those who won’t leave everyone else alone. Most gays are in the first category,  and not surprisingly are quite comfortable in their life in the sunshine state.

BoZo

On 6/10/2023 at 7:21 PM, alageorge said:

That's great. More elbow room for the rest of us at the beaches, bars, and clubs 😊.

Clearly, the gay radicals' and activists' boycott of Florida doesn't seem to be hurting the economy of the Sunshine state. Here are the most recent 2023 numbers. 

Florida reports record tourism numbers ahead of busy summer travel season

2a1b2096-wtvt-00006.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOX13NEWS.COM

Florida is breaking records for tourism in 2023. The Tampa Bay area is one of the largest destinations in the state.

Tourists (INCLUDING GAY ONES) are are arriving in Florida in droves, happily spending their money in the sunshine state.

BoZo

On 6/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, EZEtoGRU said:

Meanwhile, you can find plenty of stories online of LGBT people who are pulling up roots and leaving Florida to live elsewhere. I assume minorities are doing the same since the NAACP issued its travel warning for Florida.   Obviously this is easier for some to do than others. I understand that. 

I’m sticking with my plan to cancel Florida. Voting with one’s pocketbook is one of the few ways we have to effect change beyond actually voting.  

anyway,  enough of politics. I found the Johnson’s talent to be good for those planning to go there😁

You can claim you were born & raised on Neptune -- doesn't mean it's true.  As much as LGBTs claim they're leaving because of oppression & persecution, I'll bet my bottom dollar that the real reason is far less glamorous:  work, family, staggering homeowners increases.  But hey, there is no chic like victim chic.

1 hour ago, BSR said:

You can claim you were born & raised on Neptune -- doesn't mean it's true.  As much as LGBTs claim they're leaving because of oppression & persecution, I'll bet my bottom dollar that the real reason is far less glamorous:  work, family, staggering homeowners increases.  But hey, there is no chic like victim chic.

Enjoy gay strip clubs while you can because if the owner ever says something controversial his business might get a tax hike, search, police raid, etc. and possibly will close. 

They have an amateur hour. Have you thought about giving it a try? 

Edited by marylander1940

I love Johnsons. Great energy from the doorman Alpha to one of my favorite bartenders Omar. Some of THE hottest men in Florida. Wilton Manors bars and restaurants are always busy. Very walk able area. Rainbow bridge on Wilton Drive tells you that you have arrived. Even some of the Police cars are painted with the Rainbow Flag. GREAT friendly destination.

14 minutes ago, Poppie said:

I love Johnsons. Great energy from the doorman Alpha to one of my favorite bartenders Omar. Some of THE hottest men in Florida. Wilton Manors bars and restaurants are always busy. Very walk able area. Rainbow bridge on Wilton Drive tells you that you have arrived. Even some of the Police cars are painted with the Rainbow Flag. GREAT friendly destination.

Thanks. I was looking at local bus transit routes out of curiosity.

For splurgers, is Über operative? Or is it common to hail a cab on major thoroughfares, without smartphone apps? Any other ride tips in and around the area and Johnsons? 

1 hour ago, SirBillybob said:

Thanks. I was looking at local bus transit routes out of curiosity.

For splurgers, is Über operative? Or is it common to hail a cab on major thoroughfares, without smartphone apps? Any other ride tips in and around the area and Johnsons? 

When visiting Wilton Manors I've used Uber/Lyft, taken a bus, driven a car, and walked when staying at a nearby gay hotel.  I've never hailed a cab; the city just isn't dense enough to have taxis roaming the streets looking for fares.  On Fridays and Saturdays don't bother trying to park your own car; just use Uber/Lyft because parking is limited.  Uber/Lyft is pretty responsive, except you might have trouble right at 2am with "last call", when everybody is trying to call an Uber/Lyft at the same time.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

15 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

When visiting Wilton Manors I've used Uber/Lyft, taken a bus, driven a car, and walked when staying at a nearby gay hotel.  I've never hailed a cab; the city just isn't dense enough to have taxis roaming the streets looking for fares.  On Fridays and Saturdays don't bother trying to park your own car; just use Uber/Lyft because parking is limited.  Uber/Lyft is pretty responsive, except you might have trouble right at 2am with "last call", when everybody is trying to call an Uber/Lyft at the same time.

Just to pick your brain a bit more, one last Q: how do local buses take fares? Do you need to load a scannable card purchased within their system? Exact cash fare? &c? Of course I can always inquire if and when there.

The main agenda is nice quiet lodgings, likely Airbnb. That said, Airbnb is not a bylaw infraction, right?, and they don’t need to hide in plain sight, correct?

Well, not main agenda, but you get the drift.😉

Edited by SirBillybob

13 hours ago, BSR said:

I'll bet my bottom dollar that the real reason is far less glamorous:  work, family, staggering homeowners increases.

you can take your pick why people are leaving Florida - I was there through most of Covid and can speak from firsthand experience.

Basically it’s a shithole all around.  Don’t confuse it with tourists who will continue to go there no matter what.  
While there is no state income tax, they get you with every other tax imaginable.  The property tax rates are more than NY or CA by far for similar valued properties. Many of the properties there are now impossible to insure.  People can now carry guns with no permits whatsoever- if you’ve ever mixed with average Floridians this should scare the fuck out of you.  
Oh and the weather sucks - last winter was like July or August with overcast skies and lots of rain & humidity.  The 4 months of winter that used to be very pleasant with sunny skies and low humidity doesn’t happen anymore.  The roads are terrible and S Florida has far worse traffic than LA.  The people are notoriously rude in S Florida - it may be a bit better on the West Coast.

Yes - lots of people still moving there, but many leaving at the same time.  Housing prices are up about 50% in the last 3-4 years and it’s no longer the bargain it once was. In years past, there was a trade-off for Florida being a shithole and the relatively cheap prices.  Now that it’s not cheap and still a shithole, there are many better options and that’s why people are leaving,  The people moving there now will regret it when the housing market crashes - which it always does in Florida. 

And it floods - bad almost everywhere.  Ft Lauderdale & Miami go underwater in any sort of decent rain which happens routinely all summer.  It’s also a cultural wasteland with almost no offerings to keep anyone truly engaged.
Still want to move there ?  Be my guest - you’ve been warned.  Going for a visit ? Go for 5 days and get out. 

if you live in Florida - you need a car because the public transportation is not an option for regular use.  Car insurance is another line item through the roof in Florida because of the bad drivers, mainly older drivers & tourists who have no idea where they’re going.

Btw - it’s true gay people are leaving Florida for what it’s worth.  There are many reasons to leave besides the political stuff.   For the people I know leaving, it’s the cumulative decline in quality of life over last 3-5 years.  The smart ones are cashing out real estate equity and getting out while there are still buffoons willing to pay the insane housing prices.

The one bright spot in Florida is Johnson’s.  It’s the best male strip club in the country and you will not get ripped off there.  There is almost zero attitude among the guys and it’s not an insanely expensive night out. Drinks & cover are always reasonable.  Dancers are A+++++ with frequent new faces.  There is a real show and it’s not just dancers hitting you up for money.  Many will give numbers with a good tip. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

1 hour ago, SirBillybob said:

Just to pick your brain a bit more, one last Q: how do local buses take fares? Do you need to load a scannable card purchased within their system? Exact cash fare? &c? Of course I can always inquire if and when there.

The main agenda is nice quiet lodgings, likely Airbnb. That said, Airbnb is not a bylaw infraction, right?, and they don’t need to hide in plain sight, correct?

Well, not main agenda, but you get the drift.😉

When I do take the bus, I always pay exact cash fare.  But that's me...I pay cash for almost everything.

I recommend staying at a Gay hotel in Wilton Manors, walkable to the Drive (Wilton Drive, but everyone just calls it the Drive).  Ed Lugo, Solstice at Wilton, Fantasy Island Inn, Calypso Inn, Casa Hermes, and Manor Inn are all gay hotels/B&B within a block of the Drive.

5 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

The one bright spot in Florida is Johnson’s.  It’s the best male strip club in the country and you will not get ripped off there.  There is almost zero attitude among the guys and it’s not an insanely expensive night out. Drinks & cover are always reasonable.  Dancers are A+++++ with frequent new faces.  There is a real show and it’s not just dancers hitting you up for money.  Many will give numbers with a good tip. 

I agree with this paragraph about Johnson's (only).

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

37 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I recommend staying at a Gay hotel in Wilton Manors

Wilton Manors is the gay neighborhood in Ft Lauderdale and the center of gay nightlife.

That said - it’s really depressing & tacky, unless you really enjoy strip malls loaded with cheap stuff.  It does not have the charm of other gay neighborhoods in large urban areas.  It’s especially ugly during the day.  If being in the middle of that is a priority- the yes, stay in Wilton Manors.

The main attraction in Ft Lauderdale is the beach - and the beach is lovely, albeit surrounded by tacky retail and restaurants (it’s completely different than South Beach and not nearly as sophisticated).  It’s not visually depressing like Wilton Manors during the day - just don’t expect any quality shopping or dining.  

Getting to the beach in Ft L is a schlep and you need to bring almost everything with you. Way easier to stay close to beach and then go to Wilton at night.  If you’re not a beach person, then a different calculation and I’d probably skip Ft Lauderdale entirely. 

It rains almost every day in the afternoon from May through October with lots of heat & humidity.  There’s a pervasive odor and dampness almost everywhere during those months - especially in hotels mixed with their cleaning supplies.  It’s not exactly comfortable. Choose your time to visit wisely.

3 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

I'm no so sure.  I've been ripped off there recently.  Huge downer.  That was all about the dancer, not the place, though.

I think going during the weeknights is better with the lower crowd, when the less flakey dancers rent-in to dance.  Just me tuppence, of course.

12 minutes ago, KennF said:

I think going during the weeknights is better with the lower crowd

definitely- the weekends are amateur hour 

altho it’s bound to happen - you’re the first person I’ve heard being ripped off at Johnson’s

Vs Boardwalk where it’s standard procedure 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

8 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

you can take your pick why people are leaving Florida - I was there through most of Covid and can speak from firsthand experience.

Basically it’s a shithole all around.  Don’t confuse it with tourists who will continue to go there no matter what.  
While there is no state income tax, they get you with every other tax imaginable.  The property tax rates are more than NY or CA by far for similar valued properties. Many of the properties there are now impossible to insure.  People can now carry guns with no permits whatsoever- if you’ve ever mixed with average Floridians this should scare the fuck out of you.  
Oh and the weather sucks - last winter was like July or August with overcast skies and lots of rain & humidity.  The 4 months of winter that used to be very pleasant with sunny skies and low humidity doesn’t happen anymore.  The roads are terrible and S Florida has far worse traffic than LA.  The people are notoriously rude in S Florida - it may be a bit better on the West Coast.

Yes - lots of people still moving there, but many leaving at the same time.  Housing prices are up about 50% in the last 3-4 years and it’s no longer the bargain it once was. In years past, there was a trade-off for Florida being a shithole and the relatively cheap prices.  Now that it’s not cheap and still a shithole, there are many better options and that’s why people are leaving,  The people moving there now will regret it when the housing market crashes - which it always does in Florida. 

And it floods - bad almost everywhere.  Ft Lauderdale & Miami go underwater in any sort of decent rain which happens routinely all summer.  It’s also a cultural wasteland with almost no offerings to keep anyone truly engaged.
Still want to move there ?  Be my guest - you’ve been warned.  Going for a visit ? Go for 5 days and get out. 

if you live in Florida - you need a car because the public transportation is not an option for regular use.  Car insurance is another line item through the roof in Florida because of the bad drivers, mainly older drivers & tourists who have no idea where they’re going.

Btw - it’s true gay people are leaving Florida for what it’s worth.  There are many reasons to leave besides the political stuff.   For the people I know leaving, it’s the cumulative decline in quality of life over last 3-5 years.  The smart ones are cashing out real estate equity and getting out while there are still buffoons willing to pay the insane housing prices.

The Florida Chamber of Commerce is hiring if you’re interested

Edited by lerbut23

3 hours ago, Buff Daddy said:

Ok. After reading all of this Buffdaddy will stay in Philadelphia 👍. Close to NY, Not far from Washington DC. And the house prices are reasonable. Rents too for now. .

I did the Florida thing and came back. The cannolis suck down there. 😲

IMG_20230430_122948_01~2.jpg

On 6/10/2023 at 12:25 AM, SirBillybob said:

So I just met a Montreal trainer guy worth a trial run for regularship and scheds did not line up for a housecall. He flaked a bit on date attempts and proposed a really inconvenient time because he was busy packing for a longterm visit to: Florida! The first club guy in years here that caught my eye. 😭

I like my cannolis at least 8" with extra cream

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, SouthOfTheBorder said:

The main attraction in Ft Lauderdale is the beach....(it’s completely different than South Beach and not nearly as sophisticated).  

Yes Fort Lauderdale Beach is different than South Beach, AND THANK GOD for that!

Fed Up With Mayhem, Miami Beach Wants to Tame Spring Break for Good

00nat-miami-springbreak-promo-fwlc-faceb
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

After a series of violent incidents, the city is moving to pre-empt late-night partying, but businesses worry about crimping their most profitable tourism season.

Spring Break 2023: Miami Beach declares state of emergency, imposes curfew to control rowdy crowds

BoZo

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

4 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

to clarify - the only reason to go to Ft Lauderdale is Johnson’s 

land it’s relatively cheap by American standards (and you won’t get laid or even close)

so, if you’re onboard for that, then go

otherwise- almost anywhere South of the Border is recommended !

or North of the border.

• 1 month later...