Sorry about the unplanned outage...

RadioRob
This topic is 1084 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The problems that occurred over the last few hours are my fault and I apologize to the community.

As I've noted earlier, in order to recover the site quickly when Daddy's server failed... I migrated the site to my personal server. I'm in the process of preparing the site to move to it's permanent home. In order to make sure things transferred correctly, I had to export a copy of everything into the equivalent of a big ZIP file. Because this site is so big, it takes a LONG time to generate. (It takes about 5 hours to export the database and then compress it into a ZIP file.)

While this process was occurring, I went out with friends to dinner since it was going to take a while to complete. While I was gone, the server ran out of disk space. As a result, the server could not read/write from the database. I fixed the issue as soon as I got home. I've also fixed a few mySQL database tables that crashed as a result of not having sufficient space.

So long story short... my bad. This one was on me. Sorry for the problem.

The problems that occurred over the last few hours are my fault and I apologize to the community.

As I've noted earlier, in order to recover the site quickly when Daddy's server failed... I migrated the site to my personal server. I'm in the process of preparing the site to move to it's permanent home. In order to make sure things transferred correctly, I had to export a copy of everything into the equivalent of a big ZIP file. Because this site is so big, it takes a LONG time to generate. (It takes about 5 hours to export the database and then compress it into a ZIP file.)

While this process was occurring, I went out with friends to dinner since it was going to take a while to complete. While I was gone, the server ran out of disk space. As a result, the server could not read/write from the database. I fixed the issue as soon as I got home. I've also fixed a few mySQL database tables that crashed as a result of not having sufficient space.

Oooh What did you eat? Hopefully something juicy and delicious!!!

snip

You have done and are continuing to do everyone here a big favor.

You do not owe anyone an apology.

You saved the site from certain extinction.

Without your efforts and kindness, the forum would be only a memory, like so many other things in life.

Thanks again.

While this process was occurring, I went out with friends to dinner since it was going to take a while to complete. While I was gone, the server ran out of disk space.

Oooh What did you eat? Hopefully something juicy and delicious!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe8aiXXCPXdsOBREofOdsWxxtW9vMhhsZ0JCrzgc6NUTAW11EHcRU4bJSsvwIxhjh1mSQ&usqp=CAU

First off, thank you for all the work that you do @RadioRob . I am truly thankful. Do you think this site should have a weekly or monthly maintenance schedule so members may know when this site would be down?

Most regular maintenance will happen in the background transparently. My challenge if I set a dedicated window is that I can’t do anything until then. This can delay getting the things needed to stabilize the site.

Eventually I’ll need a few one-time windows to actually move the site so we don’t have people posting while data is copying and then get missed. But that would not be a regularly scheduled thing.

Sorry about the unplanned outage...

I am getting a lot of error messages the last few days when I try to edit posts, especially if the editing involves colors or emojis. Maybe because I'm still using Windows XP. ( Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console. )

And I'm extremely grateful for the work you are putting in here.

giphy.gif

thxunu2nqv-20.gif

thanx-25.gifmdvdthkyou.gif

Edited by samhexum