10 Snobbiest States

Snbrd
This topic is 1121 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these lists are simply absurd click-bait.

Agreed, a neighborhood can be snobby, but I would hesitate to call a whole city snobby, forget an entire state. A friend was moving out of Beacon Hill because he wanted a bigger place. A significant fringe benefit of the move was to get away from all the "f*cking snobs" on Beacon Hill. But I would never say that the whole city of Boston is snobby (too many working-class & immigrant neighborhoods), much less the entire Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

The Snobbiest States – Zippiahttps://www.zippia.com › advice › the-snobbiest-states

As a New Englander and as a Bostonian I must take issue with the results of the survey. I don't think Rhode Island is snobby. Nor do they have justification to be so!

I'm surprised!

Agreed, a neighborhood can be snobby, but I would hesitate to call a whole city snobby, forget an entire state. A friend was moving out of Beacon Hill because he wanted a bigger place. A significant fringe benefit of the move was to get away from all the "f*cking snobs" on Beacon Hill. But I would never say that the whole city of Boston is snobby (too many working-class & immigrant neighborhoods), much less the entire Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Sometimes a person could be snobby to some and nice to others too. They could react differently to a person's looks, accent, ethnicity, clothes, profession, etc.

In some of those allegedly "nicer" states folks who move there aren't welcome and unless they know your ancestors you're just not welcome in certain circles.

I've lived in both New York and Massachusetts. People in these states have a directness and a sense of urgency that could be misconstrued as snobbiness. They don't often have time for niceties.

Recently moved to Oregon and the pace of things is much slower here. Maybe people think I'm snobby here because I'm always in a rush and don't want to waste time talking to every cashier about how my day is going.

I've lived in both New York and Massachusetts. People in these states have a directness and a sense of urgency that could be misconstrued as snobbiness. They don't often have time for niceties.

Recently moved to Oregon and the pace of things is much slower here. Maybe people think I'm snobby here because I'm always in a rush and don't want to waste time talking to every cashier about how my day is going.

In his classic book “Class”, Paul Fussell says a perfect response to the cheery “Have a nice day!” is “sorry, but I have other plans”.

We ranked each state in four areas

• Percent of population with a bachelor’s degree
  • Percent of degree earners with a degree in arts and humanities
  • Number of Ivy League colleges
  • Gallons of wine consumed yearly

And once again West Virginia's lack of an Ivy League school prevents the state from making a "top ten list."

VIrginia being on this list is a bit off, because the actual part of Virginia that’s truly snobbish, is the Northern Virginia area (NOVA), which borders DC and Maryland, the three areas combined, better known as the DC Metropolitan Area, or the National Capital Region.

There is where some of the most elitist, arrogant, snobbish people reside.

I have to admit I was a snob when I was young. I blame my parents for giving me all the privileges of the wealthy without actually leaving me a fortune to sustain the life of a true snob.

When I ventured out in the world to make a living, I soon found out that being snobby was a drawback and it was best to get along as best one could with everyone you met.

Then when I came out gay, I entered another world where different things counted for more. That included good looks, a big cock, a nice physique and being the life of the party. Wall flowers were ignored.

Now that I'm old, I can look back to having a liberal arts degree, having attended a private prep school and two Ivy league universities (Canadian style) and knowing good wine from plonk and choosing appropriately.

So I must be a snob. But I'm not, really.

We ranked each state in four areas

• Percent of population with a bachelor’s degree
  • Percent of degree earners with a degree in arts and humanities
  • Number of Ivy League colleges
  • Gallons of wine consumed yearly

yeah, that's the way to determine snobbiness!!!

200.gif

Is that a young James Franciscus? *sigh* I had such a crush on him!

Uh, anyway, back on topic ...

The Snobbiest States – Zippiahttps://www.zippia.com › advice › the-snobbiest-states

As a New Englander and as a Bostonian I must take issue with the results of the survey. I don't think Rhode Island is snobby. Nor do they have justification to be so!

This list is certainly bias against blue states which are not also wealthier but the engines of the country!

Texas 36 and Minnesota 15? Makes no sense!

This list is certainly bias against blue states which are not also wealthier but the engines of the country!

Texas 36 and Minnesota 15? Makes no sense!

Massachusetts is a lot of good things, but not an engine of the country. Excellent schools, especially colleges. Good vacation destination for everyone. And Western Massachusetts is greatly underrated.

I've spoken with a couple of people who worked in Alaska (both in the oil & gas industry). They both said that the toughest part of living there was not the looooong winter (they expected that) but the hostility of Alaskans toward non-Alaskans. They both thought it was snobbery until they found out that Alaskans simply don't trust outsiders. The general belief is that you only move to Alaska to get away from something, and the motive is usually unsavory. As much as both tried to convince Alaskans that they were just there for work, they just gave up & moved as soon as they could.

Massachusetts is a lot of good things, but not an engine of the country. Excellent schools, especially colleges. Good vacation destination for everyone. And Western Massachusetts is greatly underrated.

I totally agree with you about Western Mass! I spent a few vacations in the Berkshires & simply loved it. The funny thing is that I kept meeting Berkshires residents who wanted to move to Boston. As lovely as Western Mass is, life there is rather slow & quiet. So, a great vacation spot, but city folk don't want to move there.

Also, folks in the Berkshires are as un-snobby as anyone you'll ever meet. I found them to be so warm & kind & friendly, all the qualities that make me love people from small towns.

VIrginia being on this list is a bit off, because the actual part of Virginia that’s truly snobbish, is the Northern Virginia area (NOVA), which borders DC and Maryland, the three areas combined, better known as the DC Metropolitan Area, or the National Capital Region.

There is where some of the most elitist, arrogant, snobbish people reside.

Suburbs ain't got nothing on DC itself. Snobbiest and close 2nd rudest to NY. (of course most of our millennial transplants are NYers)

It might not be the engine of the country but it accounts for a lot of the training ground for the brains of the country. Always has.

And while the engine of the country has shifted around (I remember when it was Detroit) the brain factories have pretty much stayed put.

Timely story here. I am in the process of considering what my next move will be as far as a place to live. In the last week I have been researching Providence RI (I love Italian food and I thought it would be fun to live somewhere close to the ACELA line to have easy train access to Boston, NYC, Philly, & DC). In my research I found multiple comments from people saying that Rhode Islanders are not very accepting of outsiders. It seems they don't really accept outsiders living in their state until they have been there for at least 25 years.

Suburbs ain't got nothing on DC itself. Snobbiest and close 2nd rudest to NY. (of course most of our millennial transplants are NYers)

Agreed!!!

It’s a special “I’m important because I’m educated, and I know this important person, and I work (fill in company) ”, type of rudeness and snobbery that plagues DC.

In any typical DC social setting, you’ll be asked at least one of the following questions:

1. What do you do? (Very important) ?

2.) Where did you go to school? (Not as important, as long as you went to school) ?. Multiple degrees weighs higher.... Put a bunch of acronyms behind your name and you’re Golden.

3.) Where do you live? The zip code snobbery in DC is ridiculous. Even if you live in a roach-infested English basement rental (in The NW quadrant) you’re considered “better”, than someone who lives in a five bedroom home in The SE quadrant (specifically east of the river).

And in the DC area, everyone has some type of degree... approach the right panhandler in the wrong way and he’ll tell you... “don’t patronize me, I went to Yale, bitch!!”

?????