Yay Math!

MysticMenace

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, going out from Mars, in one direction we have Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, and in the other direction Earth, Venus and Mercury, so maybe M?

Yes, the key is recognising that the letters are the initials of the planets. The mathematical bit of it (which happens to coincide with the order of the first four in distance from the sun) is that it is in the order of their size. So the two after Venus are Mars and Mercury, and therefore the two letters are M & M.

18 hours ago, mike carey said:

A maths puzzle to keep you amused. Everyone is more or less familiar with a chess board with its 8x8 pattern of alternating black and white squares.  The question is, how many distinct squares can be identified on a chess board? 

@mike carey, was puttering in the garden today (if emptying two compost bins which over-wintered, then pruning shrubs and then chipping into the the empty compost bin can be considered puttering)...  and realized your puzzle likely works in higher dimensions...  e.g., consider an 8x8x8 stack of childrens alphabet blocks.   The question is, how many distinct cubes can be identified in that volume...   I managed to confirm cubes up through 4x4x4 before attention was distracted by robins stealing my earthworms...  But fairly certain it works... I'll leave it as trivial exercise for you to prove the 4th and higher dimensions 😇 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, samhexum said:

I have mountains of respect and admiration for mathematicians and other science-oriented individuals, but these people need an intervention.  

• 1 month later...

Re:Patterns

My parents and grandparents all died of natural causes.

My father's father died at 90, his mother at 77, and he died at 72

My mother's father died at 55, her mother at 81, and she died at 102.

Given such opposite patterns, what prediction(s) would you make for me?

BTW, my pronouns are he, him, his

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

In cases like this it is best to add your parent's ages - you should easily hit 174.

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

It seems your father was the outlier, dying earlier than expected. So it would be important to know his cause of death, and whether that cause has a strong inherited tendency to which you're susceptible. For example, if he died of lung cancer and was a smoker, one can dismiss that death risk if you don't smoke. 72 is a long life for a smoker. This also enters into calculations as to when one should start collecting social security. For most non-smokers, one will end up with more money if one waits until one is 70, but this isn't true for smokers. My best friend's room-mate recently died of smoking and alcohol-related causes at the age of 65. It was wise for him to start receiving social security at 60. 

56 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

It seems your father was the outlier, dying earlier than expected. So it would be important to know his cause of death, and whether that cause has a strong inherited tendency to which you're susceptible. For example, if he died of lung cancer and was a smoker, one can dismiss that death risk if you don't smoke. 72 is a long life for a smoker. This also enters into calculations as to when one should start collecting social security. For most non-smokers, one will end up with more money if one waits until one is 70, but this isn't true for smokers. My best friend's room-mate recently died of smoking and alcohol-related causes at the age of 65. It was wise for him to start receiving social security at 60. 

My father died of leukemia, the only person I know of from that cause in my family. I don't know how heritable it is, but I have always assumed he got it from the chemicals he worked with in his job for many years. His father died from kidney failure and his mother from tuberculosis. You are correct that my father, who was very healthy and athletic all his life, was a surprising outlier statistically in his family, dying only four months after he was diagnosed at 72.

My spouse started SS at 62, because his father--a heavy smoker--died of lung cancer, and my spouse also smoked until he was in his early 40s, so he feared he might also die early. He is now been collecting SS for 26 years.

There's a very good chance you'll pass the century mark then. Lucky genes. I recently found out that my biological father made it to 92. My mother died of a very rare, non-heritable cancer at the age of 89. If I survive to 86, my pension will continue to my husband (assuming it's my fiance, since he'll be 55 then). 

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

If you are in your mid to late 70s I think you can count on another 10 years or so.

Unless your doctor has recently told you otherwise.

A caveat though. A friend of mine who is turning 80 next month was told by her doctor last fall to put her affairs in order before an operation she was to undergo to repair a heart valve. She had had it replaced two years ago and the replacement failed.

She came through the operation with flying colours and is throwing a party at her golf club next month for all her nearest and dearest. Her husband succumbed to brain cancer 4 years ago. 

46 minutes ago, Charlie said:

No one seems to be using math to make a prediction for me.

You pose an interesting question... and after thinking about it for a while realised any response would be a wild guess... thus resorted to trusty fallback position of googling if any longevity calculators existed (they do), and then which were the most trusted...   I have longevity through both mom and dad (and their parents) - thus will be trying this myself when I make it out of rural Virginia and back to civilisation this weekend,  however try this site 

11 minutes ago, keefer said:

You pose an interesting question... and after thinking about it for a while realised any response would be a wild guess... thus resorted to trusty fallback position of googling if any longevity calculators existed (they do), and then which were the most trusted...   I have longevity through both mom and dad (and their parents) - thus will be trying this myself when I make it out of rural Virginia and back to civilisation this weekend,  however try this site 

Read that website's privacy policy (or lack thereof) before submitting data to it. 

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

No one seems to be using math to make a prediction for me.

I hope you're joking (didn't see the laughing emoji, though). It's not a math problem. Obviously, many factors come into play, the most important being your own health, of course, as well as the longevity of your parents and sibs, and whether their causes of death have a strong familial component. I seem to recall you're already well into your 80s and in fairly good health, that's why I believed you have a good chance to make it to 100, given the additional data from your family history. 

Edited by Unicorn

Just now, Unicorn said:

I hope you're joking (didn't see the laughing emoji, though). It's not a math problem. Obviously, many factors come into play, the most important being your own health, of course, as well as the longevity of your parents and sibs, and whether their causes of death have a strong familial component. I seem to recall you're already well into your 80s and in fairly good health, that's why I believed you have a good chance to make it to 100. 

Concur, and given how active you are was going to also guess at mid-90s