Yay Math!

MysticMenace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A maths puzzle for you:

Puzzle for today. OK, it's a riddle. The (nice) maths puzzles were reducing the nation's productivity:

Cindi works at our local fruit and veg shop. She is 165 cm tall, shoe size 7, and has dark hair and brown eyes. What does she weigh?

Spoiler: It's not actually a maths puzzle. It's more one of logic.

Just now, mike carey said:

A maths puzzle for you:

Puzzle for today. OK, it's a riddle. The (nice) maths puzzles were reducing the nation's productivity:

Cindi works at our local fruit and veg shop. She is 165 cm tall, shoe size 7, and has dark hair and brown eyes. What does she weigh?

Spoiler: It's not actually a maths puzzle. It's more one of logic.

fruit and veg, and after hours the odd illicit substance...

A maths puzzle to keep you amused. Everyone is more or less familiar with a chess board with its 8x8 pattern of alternating black and white squares.

The question is, how many distinct squares can be identified on a chess board? A hint is that there are 64 of the single squares and 49 2x2 squares.

And another one, although this one isn't strictly a maths one, although it does have a mathematical, or at least numerical aspect to it. It does require a bit of lateral thinking.

What are the next two letters in this sequence?

J S U N E V ...

Disclaimer:: I have not devised these myself, they come from the ABC Radio National breakfast show's Friday science puzzle segment. (The word science there is actually a hint, now I think about it.)

4 hours ago, mike carey said:

And another one, although this one isn't strictly a maths one, although it does have a mathematical, or at least numerical aspect to it. It does require a bit of lateral thinking.

What are the next two letters in this sequence?

J S U N E V ...

Disclaimer:: I have not devised these myself, they come from the ABC Radio National breakfast show's Friday science puzzle segment. (The word science there is actually a hint, now I think about it.)

Well, going out from Mars, in one direction we have Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, and in the other direction Earth, Venus and Mercury, so maybe M?

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

The question is, how many distinct squares can be identified on a chess board? A hint is that there are 64 of the single squares and 49 2x2 squares.

pardon the pun, but that should be the sum of the squares from 1 to 8:  1+4+9+16+25+36+49+64 = 204

17 minutes ago, keefer said:

pardon the pun, but that should be the sum of the squares from 1 to 8:  1+4+9+16+25+36+49+64 = 204

Precisely! As they read it out I was contemplating working it out by brute force but when they gave the clue about 2x2 the penny dropped.