Yay Math!

MysticMenace

What I found interesting in my case was the patterns for my father and for my mother seemed to go in opposite directions in relation to their parents' lives, therefore I wondered how one would project the pattern for me, if one assumed that there was a mathematical formula for dealing with the correlation between my likely pattern and their actual patterns. For instance, does one add up my progenitors' ages at death and take an average? Does one look for certain medians? Does one factor in my gender? Etc., etc. Does one simply say, "You have already lived longer than your father and you probably won't live as long as your mother." I have usually figured that I would split the age of death for my parents and expect to die at 87.

Edited by Charlie

7 minutes ago, Charlie said:

What I found interesting in my case was the patterns for my father and for my mother seemed to go in opposite directions in relation to their parents' lives...

Your father's age of death can't be factored in because he died not of old age, coronary disease, stroke, etc., but of something unexpected, which you're unlikely to get. It's as if he died in a skydiving accident--not part of your genetics (though there are some forms of leukemia which are inherited, and I'd wager you'd be told). Your mother's more advanced age likely had much to do with advances in medical science and life expectancy in general. Absent other illnesses/accidents, telomere length is what determines longevity (and probably also gut microbiome, much of which is inherited), so the longer lifespans are more telling. 

1 minute ago, Charlie said:

In other words, any reasonably accurate mathematical analysis would require an enormous number of measurements more sophisticated than simply age at death of one's progenitors.

Yes, and, obviously, your personal medical history, including medications, BMI, and so on. 

OK, so I will probably just go on splitting the difference between my parents age at death, and prepare to die at 87. [This particular question has arisen because my spouse keeps asking, "How long do you think I will live?" To which my standard answer is "As long as my patience lasts."]

Edited by Charlie

48 minutes ago, Charlie said:

OK, so I will probably just go on splitting the difference between my parents age at death, and prepare to die at 87. [This particular question has arisen because my spouse keeps asking, "How long do you think I will live?" To which my standard answer is "As long as my patience lasts."]

That's not a very good estimate. Your mother lived well beyond the average female life expectancy of her day, as did both of your paternal grandparents (your father doesn't count, since he death was unexpected and not related to his genetics). I seem to recall from prior conversations that you're about 82. Even using standardized tables, you'd be expected to make it to 90. But your genetics points to longevity. Of course, your own medical history is critical information--more so than family history. Of course, one can never be certain of anything after 80. I didn't know his family history, but I must confess I was shocked to hear of Epigonous's death because he seemed to be in such good health when I'd seen him recently before. 

634414-e1434986123246_1480.jpg
WWW.ANNUITYADVANTAGE.COM

Annuities are frequently used to provide guaranteed lifetime retirement income. Use this table to get an estimate of life expectancy for income planning.

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

That's not a very good estimate. Your mother lived well beyond the average female life expectancy of her day, as did both of your paternal grandparents (your father doesn't count, since he death was unexpected and not related to his genetics). I seem to recall from prior conversations that you're about 82. Even using standardized tables, you'd be expected to make it to 90. But your genetics points to longevity. Of course, your own medical history is critical information--more so than family history. Of course, one can never be certain of anything after 80. I didn't know his family history, but I must confess I was shocked to hear of Epigonous's death because he seemed to be in such good health when I'd seen him recently before. 

634414-e1434986123246_1480.jpg
WWW.ANNUITYADVANTAGE.COM

Annuities are frequently used to provide guaranteed lifetime retirement income. Use this table to get an estimate of life expectancy for income planning.

Those tables seem to up my life expectancy only an extra year. Aren't there other variables to be considered as well, such as whether one lives alone, has a dependable support system, etc.?

Edited by Charlie

7 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Those tables seem to up my life expectancy only an extra year. Aren't there other variables to be considered as well, such as whether one lives alone, has a dependable support system, etc.?

Yes, living alone decreases one's life expectancy. Owning a dog (but not a cat) increases one's life expectancy, probably due to the increased walking.

dogs-woman-running-beach.jpg
WWW.HEART.ORG

As dog lovers have long suspected, owning a canine companion can be good for you. In fact.
WWW.AHAJOURNALS.ORG

12 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Yes, living alone decreases one's life expectancy. Owning a dog (but not a cat) increases one's life expectancy, probably due to the increased walking.

WWW.HEART.ORG

As dog lovers have long suspected, owning a canine companion can be good for you. In fact.
WWW.AHAJOURNALS.ORG

It is not just the exercise, it is also the companionship, and the sense of having a purpose in taking care of an animal.

19 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

WWW.HEART.ORG

WWW.AHAJOURNALS.ORG

And the fact that unlike your cat, your dog doesn't want to see you dead.

I used to work with a lady who had a big birthday party when she turned 43.  The sad reason was that she had surpassed the age of both her parents when they had died (mother 42 and father late 30s).  And if I remember correctly several of her grandparents also died very young - only one was living when she was born, I think).   But thankfully she is happily enjoying her retirement and is now in her late 60s.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, mike carey said:

A maths puzzle for you:

Puzzle for today. OK, it's a riddle. The (nice) maths puzzles were reducing the nation's productivity:

Cindi works at our local fruit and veg shop. She is 165 cm tall, shoe size 7, and has dark hair and brown eyes. What does she weigh?

Spoiler: It's not actually a maths puzzle. It's more one of logic.

Fruits and vegetables

On 5/7/2022 at 11:21 PM, mike carey said:

A maths puzzle to keep you amused. Everyone is more or less familiar with a chess board with its 8x8 pattern of alternating black and white squares.

The question is, how many distinct squares can be identified on a chess board? A hint is that there are 64 of the single squares and 49 2x2 squares.

8x8  + 7x7+6x6+5x5+4x4+3x3+2x2+1X1   I believe the math shorthand is 8to the second !

Edited by purplekow

On 5/7/2022 at 11:29 PM, mike carey said:

And another one, although this one isn't strictly a maths one, although it does have a mathematical, or at least numerical aspect to it. It does require a bit of lateral thinking.

What are the next two letters in this sequence?

J S U N E V ...

Disclaimer:: I have not devised these myself, they come from the ABC Radio National breakfast show's Friday science puzzle segment. (The word science there is actually a hint, now I think about it.)

M M. and no longer P

11 hours ago, samhexum said:

I have some errands to run tomorrow.  My 2003 car will hit 80,000 miles.  I bought it in 2010 with 49,300.  I've only put 1200ish miles on per year the last decade or so.

Considering how much you have probably spent on insurance and registration (and perhaps on a parking spot) during the last decade just to drive 1200 miles/year (i.e., only 100 miles/month), it probably would have been cheaper--and healthier--to buy a bike.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Considering how much you have probably spent on insurance and registration (and perhaps on a parking spot) during the last decade just to drive 1200 miles/year (i.e., only 100 miles/month), it probably would have been cheaper--and healthier--to buy a bike.

Or just rent a car -- or use Zipcar -- when necessary.