Did the pandemic create a nation of buff men?

Smurof
This topic is 1120 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just curious...Why before using the washroom? I weigh myself daily as you suggest but after my morning piss.

I would say it's really not that important, the idea is to be consistent so either before or after that first piss. That way you can make a valid comparison from one day to the next.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it's really not that important, the idea is to be consistent so either before or after that first piss. That way you can make a valid comparison from one day to the next.

Agree. Consistently tracking the same time is key to accurately tracking a trend. The reason for morning is you’re more consistently fasted. Before or after using the restroom is a preference in my opinion. The idea of comparing apples to apples. So choose one, fasted and before using the restroom or after, but be consistent. For that matter, every night is consistent, but sometimes what we eat each day and how much sodium we intake would be less consistent from a day to day basis. Hence, neutralizing those differences by taking measurements in the morning.

Edited by HotWhiteThirties

One good thing I've realized about the quarantine is that now I cook just enough for myself and am able to follow stricter guidelines about portion control

you should also consider how to manage your calorie intake

What are these odd phrases you speak of? Are you speaking some archaic foreign language? I'm stumped. ?

I have a home gym and my trainer since mid 2019 sends me the daily plans via whatsapp. We do a class each week via Zoom. He changed my training approach and without diet I lost 17 pounds and have a six pack for the first time in my life.

Thank you for the many likes!!!

I should have also said that I am an amateur cook; we eat healthy foods, lots of vegetables, lean meats, chicken and fish, fuits, our own Muesli for breakfast. Pizza, ice cream, pastries, fried foods are not part of our intake. I do make sherbets though and love my home made crème fraîche with stewed fruits for dessert.

I like riding my bicycle everyday..however after a very bad fall while chasing one of our dogs I felt uncomfortable riding, So I bought and adult 3 wheeler with a big basket in back...It's a great ride and I never feel uneasy. I ride every day for 1 hour through our neighborhood...I listen to Amazon streaming music or my own playlist...I maintain my 180lbs/5'10" 34" waist and have a good time doing it...

As an aside, for the most accurate weight tracking, always weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

I do this once a week. Wake up, go right to the scale. Before taking a piss. Before coffee.

I weighed myself last night as I always do before bed, and then weighed myself again as soon as I got up this morning. Somehow I lost 1.3 lbs while I slept (I did get up once about 1am to pee--I'm an old man, after all).

I feel like there is a little class element to this. Those who have home gyms or larger houses and money to buy a Peloton are getting fit because they are working from home and have time to fit in workouts.

I live in a studio so barely have floor room to do pushups. I had a rec center membership but all the rec centers are closed and don't really feel comfortable going to a gym yet. I've been getting by through walking or riding my bike or sometimes running. My fitness level has made the latter challenging.

I'm kinda interested in doing HIITs. I do live pretty close to a park with a decent hill. Thinking of maybe just doing runs up, walks down for like a half hour a day. But I've also heard mixed things about HIITs though. Anyone have thoughts? Any suggestions to start?

I weighed myself last night as I always do before bed, and then weighed myself again as soon as I got up this morning. Somehow I lost 1.3 lbs while I slept (I did get up once about 1am to pee--I'm an old man, after all).

Well, they say that heavy masturbation burns upwards of 150 calories a session.

Perhaps you're a night-jerker and don't know it.

I feel like there is a little class element to this.

Anyone can get fit, anytime, with little-to-no equipment and very little space. That's the truth.

First, you have to get a handle on diet: Your relationship with food is everything and will make or break your fitness success.

Two 10-20 lb dumbbells. A floor mat. A set of resistance bands. Perhaps some push-up bars. Add-in Apple Fitness, the Peloton app or any number of other streaming based training programs and you're set.

I have used YouTube videos with some success, but with the ads and the constant selling from the trainers is annoying.

Anyone can get fit, anytime, with little-to-no equipment and very little space. That's the truth.

First, you have to get a handle on diet: Your relationship with food is everything and will make or break your fitness success.

Two 10-20 lb dumbbells. A floor mat. A set of resistance bands. Perhaps some push-up bars. Add-in Apple Fitness, the Peloton app or any number of other streaming based training programs and you're set.

I have used YouTube videos with some success, but with the ads and the constant selling from the trainers is annoying.

Totally agree. I would love to have the space and finances to have a range of good quality equipment at hand. But I also know it will only get used if I'm motivated enough to use it. So I have invested in a set of weights that are adjustable up to 40lbs, and these take up much less space than several dumbells of differing weights. I can upgrade to a heavier set once I reach the point where I need more than a 40lb resistance per arm. I'm looking at getting an incline bench that can fold under the bed, and for legs I can do calf raises on the curb in front of the house and do (awkward) squats anywhere. There's a playground close to home, so once my arms can lift myself consistently I'll be able to do chin ups on the monkey bars. When a lack of space and/or finances make it seem difficult to get healthier, I think it's important to think outside the box and be a bit more creative.

more like a nation of sofa potatoes, complaining about staying home with internet, TV, Netflix, etc.

I was thinking that too. I think with all the restrictions on the gyms the bodybuilders of America are anxiously waiting to get back in.

Thanks. I do have push up bars and a floor mat. I have just enough room to do a bit of yoga and have done some YouTube yoga classes that have worked okay. I tried resistance bands but I couldn't quite figure out how they worked. It didn't seem like they ever provided much resistance, so I'm worried that maybe I got ones that are for like beginners or something or I am just not doing it right. Looked on YouTube and I felt like I was doing it similarly, so who knows.

Do you have any streaming-based programs you'd recommend? I do agree the YouTube selling is annoying and I'd be willing to pay like a Netflix price per month for a good streaming/yoga program.

Thanks. I do have push up bars and a floor mat. I have just enough room to do a bit of yoga and have done some YouTube yoga classes that have worked okay. I tried resistance bands but I couldn't quite figure out how they worked. It didn't seem like they ever provided much resistance, so I'm worried that maybe I got ones that are for like beginners or something or I am just not doing it right. Looked on YouTube and I felt like I was doing it similarly, so who knows.

Do you have any streaming-based programs you'd recommend? I do agree the YouTube selling is annoying and I'd be willing to pay like a Netflix price per month for a good streaming/yoga program.

The best all-in-one I've found is the Peloton app.

It streams on nearly all mobile devices plus Apple TV and Roku.

Great selection of all kinds of workouts. A vast majority of it not needing any kind of Peloton device.

My gym opened up in July but closed again in December but had 6 months so that helped me maintain my fitness. Now I am just shovelling snow off my driveway and walkways when we get some and still walking my dog twice every day. Somehow I’ve managed and I agree about food intake. Only thing that has changed is I added a glass of wine with lunch which seems to improve my outlook for the afternoon. Lol

The best all-in-one I've found is the Peloton app.

It streams on nearly all mobile devices plus Apple TV and Roku.

Great selection of all kinds of workouts. A vast majority of it not needing any kind of Peloton device.

Thanks! It's only $13 a month and 2-months free apparently. I definitely will check it out. I think the bootcamp and yoga classes sound right up my alley.

How did they do it with the gyms closed?

They buy their own equipment. The first 2 - 3 months I did home workouts using bodyweight, lite dumbells, and exercise bands. My coach was impressed enough with my results that posted one of my pics in his IG feed as an example of what's possible working out from home. I bought my own rig - squat rack, pullup bar, olympic bar, plates maybe at the end of April. We don't use the living room much, so we turned it into a home gym. It is very soothing lifting all by yourself in your own space.

They buy their own equipment. The first 2 - 3 months I did home workouts using bodyweight, lite dumbells, and exercise bands. My coach was impressed enough with my results that posted one of my pics in his IG feed as an example of what's possible working out from home. I bought my own rig - squat rack, pullup bar, olympic bar, plates maybe at the end of April. We don't use the living room much, so we turned it into a home gym. It is very soothing lifting all by yourself in your own space.

Oh and I've taken up cycling again. I live in a great neighborhood for cycling - lots of level roadway for easy riding. There are gentle hills close by when I feel like a bit of challenge