2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest MikeThomas

Restaurants in Palm Springs are NOT typical of restaurants in Southern California in general. Ethnic food in California has traditionally been dominated by Asian and Mexican cuisine. Thus, with that in mind one will usually find excellent Asian and Mexican restaurants in most California cities and towns – NOT, however, in Palm Springs. The Palm Springs population is dominated by transplanted residents from the Midwest and East especially this time of year. Mexican food in California has its origins in Northern Mexico especially Sonora. It is very spicy (hot) and tortillas are made of corn NOT flour. Most native Californians find the Mexican food in Palm Springs bland and tasteless. When I was a kid in Los Angeles Chinese food meant Cantonese style. But that rapidly expanded to include a plethora of different styles from all over China. Chinese food in Palm Springs is still Cantonese dominated. That’s just fine if all you are looking for is Sweet & Sour Pork.

Now for some recommendations:

Breakfast: 1.) Rick’s Restaurant and Bakery, 1973 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-416-0090. This place is a Palm Springs breakfast institution and has a very local gay clientele, 2.) Elmer’s Restaurant, 1030 East Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-8419. This is an Oregon chain which I actually prefer to Rick’s but I’m out there by myself on this one.

Lunch: Sherman’s Deli & Bakery, 401 East Tahquitz Canyon Way, 760-325-1199. This is another Palm Springs institution. I love their chopped liver on rye. They also serve breakfast and dinner. Tyler’s Burgers, 149 South Indian Canyon Drive, 760-325-2990, another Palm Springs institution. It’s good but I actually prefer In-N-Out.

Dinner: Copleys on Palm Canyon, 621 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-9555. Upscale restaurant serving continental food – expensive. Johannes, 196 South Indian Canyon Road, 760-778-0017. Upscale restaurant serving continental and Austrian food – expensive, Spencer’s Restaurant, 701 West Baristo Drive, 760-327-3446. Pretty location. Serves continental food – expensive, Tropicale, 330 East Amado Road, 760-866-1952. Nice atmosphere with good food at moderate prices.

These are just a few places I personally know. Please keep in mind that with limited indoor dinning currently in effect in California EARLY reservations are a MUST at all of the nicer restaurants in town. It is NOT to early to make reservations NOW in fact it might even be too late

I'm new to PS. In general, the Mexican food scene has been disappointing. La Perlita has been the best so far... 8/10 for PS... 6/10 for other major cities with good Mexican restaurants... IMHO!

Well, keroscendfire if you are a fan of teriyaki chicken you should love one of the items I'm serving at the Sunday Pool Event - Curry Chicken Skewers with Lime.

Here is the list of what’s on my menu besides the Chicken Skewers and the Deviled Eggs: 1.) Dates Stuffed with Pistachios and Dried Apricots, Wrapped with Bacon and Marinated in a special Teriyaki sauce, 2.) Buffalo Wings with Bleu Cheese Dressing, 3.) Marinated Chinese Style Spareribs, 4.) Grilled Steak Kebabs, 5.) Deep Fried Won Tons with Sweet and Sour Sauce, 6.) Sausage and Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms, 7.) Shrimp Ceviche and 8.) Slider Sloppy Joes. Oliver will likely be providing several additional items.

Please, PLEASE arrive hungry.

I've heard a lot of good things about this restaurant and I will make reservations to try it before the event... https://eight4nine.com

I ate there the night after it re-opened for indoor dining last week. I had forgotten how incredibly noisy it is, and I was disappointed: service was very slow, the prices have gone up and the food wasn't great. E.g., a "potato & chorizo salad", which turned out to be a big pile of aruguila with two little fingerling potatoes, two small slices of chorizo, and four cherry tomatoes, for $13. To be fair, everyone I have spoken with about restaurants in town has said that prices have gone up and quality has declined--I've experienced the same thing at a couple of other old favorites during the pandemic. Maybe as they get up to speed again, staffing and supply will improve, though I'll bet the prices won't be reduced.

I ate there the night after it re-opened for indoor dining last week. I had forgotten how incredibly noisy it is, and I was disappointed: service was very slow, the prices have gone up and the food wasn't great. E.g., a "potato & chorizo salad", which turned out to be a big pile of aruguila with two little fingerling potatoes, two small slices of chorizo, and four cherry tomatoes, for $13. To be fair, everyone I have spoken with about restaurants in town has said that prices have gone up and quality has declined--I've experienced the same thing at a couple of other old favorites during the pandemic. Maybe as they get up to speed again, staffing and supply will improve, though I'll bet the prices won't be reduced.

Do restaurants in PS have an outdoor area for seating? Just curious since I still haven't experienced indoor dining yet since pandemic started though have eaten outside.

Here is the list of what’s on my menu besides the Chicken Skewers and the Deviled Eggs: 1.) Dates Stuffed with Pistachios and Dried Apricots, Wrapped with Bacon and Marinated in a special Teriyaki sauce, 2.) Buffalo Wings with Bleu Cheese Dressing, 3.) Marinated Chinese Style Spareribs, 4.) Grilled Steak Kebabs, 5.) Deep Fried Won Tons with Sweet and Sour Sauce, 6.) Sausage and Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms, 7.) Shrimp Ceviche and 8.) Slider Sloppy Joes. Oliver will likely be providing several additional items.

I don't need to hear about this. Now I have to go out and recreate some of these items for my quiet weekend at home.

Restaurants in Palm Springs are NOT typical of restaurants in Southern California in general. Ethnic food in California has traditionally been dominated by Asian and Mexican cuisine. Thus, with that in mind one will usually find excellent Asian and Mexican restaurants in most California cities and towns – NOT, however, in Palm Springs. The Palm Springs population is dominated by transplanted residents from the Midwest and East especially this time of year. Mexican food in California has its origins in Northern Mexico especially Sonora. It is very spicy (hot) and tortillas are made of corn NOT flour. Most native Californians find the Mexican food in Palm Springs bland and tasteless. When I was a kid in Los Angeles Chinese food meant Cantonese style. But that rapidly expanded to include a plethora of different styles from all over China. Chinese food in Palm Springs is still Cantonese dominated. That’s just fine if all you are looking for is Sweet & Sour Pork.

Breakfast: 1.) Rick’s Restaurant and Bakery, 1973 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-416-0090. This place is a Palm Springs breakfast institution and has a very local gay clientele, 2.) Elmer’s Restaurant, 1030 East Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-8419. This is an Oregon chain which I actually prefer to Rick’s but I’m out there by myself on this one.

Lunch: Sherman’s Deli & Bakery, 401 East Tahquitz Canyon Way, 760-325-1199. This is another Palm Springs institution. I love their chopped liver on rye. They also serve breakfast and dinner. Tyler’s Burgers, 149 South Indian Canyon Drive, 760-325-2990, another Palm Springs institution. It’s good but I actually prefer In-N-Out.

Dinner: Copleys on Palm Canyon, 621 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-9555. Upscale restaurant serving continental food – expensive. Johannes, 196 South Indian Canyon Road, 760-778-0017. Upscale restaurant serving continental and Austrian food – expensive, Spencer’s Restaurant, 701 West Baristo Drive, 760-327-3446. Pretty location. Serves continental food – expensive, Tropicale, 330 East Amado Road, 760-866-1952. Nice atmosphere with good food at moderate prices.

These are just a few places I personally know. Please keep in mind that with limited indoor dinning currently in effect in California EARLY reservations are a MUST at all of the nicer restaurants in town. It is NOT to early to make reservations NOW in fact it might even be too late

You sound like an epicure. Just on their face, I would trust your comments.

I had a good meal at Pomme Frite downtown. Expensive, but not prohibitive. And a wildly overpriced, but mediocre Chinese meal at what looked like a good place, but wasn't. Can't remember the name. Rick's and Sherman's are both quite good. The fast food eatery across the street from Canyon Club is fine for breakfast or lunch. There is a very simple Mexican place near the IHOP on south Canyon that turns out good grub. Dinner places tend to be pricey and are often no better than they have to be. I assume there may bee eceptions.

Breakfast: 1.) Rick’s Restaurant and Bakery, 1973 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-416-0090. This place is a Palm Springs breakfast institution and has a very loyal gay clientele, 2.) Elmer’s Restaurant, 1030 East Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-8419. This is an Oregon chain which I actually prefer to Rick’s but I’m out there by myself on this one.

I like Elmer's too!

Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know that I won’t be meeting up with you in Palm Springs this year. Unfortunately, my father is short for this world so I must go to Oregon to be with he and my sister. I was so looking forward to seeing all of you in my city. This year will be all more important with the sad news of Daddy/Guy. Have fun and make a toast for Daddy.

Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know that I won’t be meeting up with you in Palm Springs this year. Unfortunately, my father is short for this world so I must go to Oregon to be with he and my sister. I was so looking forward to seeing all of you in my city. This year will be all more important with the sad news of Daddy/Guy. Have fun and make a toast for Daddy.

Thanks for all you do around here Dave. And I was just thinking how we will definitely need to have some kind words and toasts to memorialize the great Daddy during some of this meet-up.

...And I was just thinking how we will definitely need to have some kind words and toasts to memorialize the great Daddy during some of this meet-up.

@David-SF is planning a pre-event at his home in Cathedral City (next door to Palm Springs). At the event, he is planning to plant a tree in Daddy’s honor. https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/attention-18th-annual-palm-springs-weekend-2021.163323/

Edited by Daverwr

I'm not vegan but can enjoy a good vegan meal. I highly recommend Native Foods (a small chain with a few southern California locations and a few locations in other states). Unpretentious but tasty, and unlike some vegan restaurants a carnivore isn't going to find the portion size lacking.

What I don't understand is how difficult it is to find good Thai food, not just in Palm Springs but in southern California in general. Maybe I just haven't had good luck at picking the right places, but of the several Thai restaurants I've gone to in the greater LA area and in Palm Springs the only one that came close to serving something that didn't just seem like generic "Asian" food (meaning that it actually had flavor from lemongrass, galangal, thai chilis, etc) was a place in Desert Hot Springs -- and that was far from the best Thai food I've ever had. Guess I'm spoiled where I live since it's easy to find decent or better Thai food in San Francisco. Hint: If you go into a Thai restaurant and you see things on the menu like sweet and sour chicken you are not going to be eating Thai food.

I echo Rick's for breakfast. I like Sherman's, too, but enjoy their sandwiches a lot more than their breakfast. My favorite place for dinner in Palm Springs is Trio, in part because I like their food but also in part because they hire so many attractive young men as waiters.

Damn, now I know what I'm ordering online today while getting my Pfizer shot ?

Well, on my way out of the door, my boyfriend's hair stylist called. He's already had both vaccination shots. She's already had both vaccination shots. she tested positive for covid on friday. He had his haircut on thursday. Guess who's just now today going for their vaccination shot. The first shot. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think...

Well, on my way out of the door, my boyfriend's hair stylist called. He's already had both vaccination shots. She's already had both vaccination shots. she tested positive for covid on friday. He had his haircut on thursday. Guess who's just now today going for their vaccination shot. The first shot. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think...

i got my first Pfizer shot on Friday. Went well with only a little tenderness in the spot plus yesterday a very mild headache but really nothing requiring a Tylenol. It passed quickly. I’m only scheduled to get the second shot in mid July so really not much will change for me until then.

I’m hoping the vaccine supplies will increase in June if the US meets its deadlines and they start to have surplus vaccine but who knows.

i got my first Pfizer shot on Friday. Went well with only a little tenderness in the spot plus yesterday a very mild headache but really nothing requiring a Tylenol. It passed quickly. I’m only scheduled to get the second shot in mid July so really not much will change for me until then.

I’m hoping the vaccine supplies will increase in June if the US meets its deadlines and they start to have surplus vaccine but who knows.

Your shots are being scheduled more than 3 months apart? I thought the second was typically given 3 weeks after the first.

Your shots are being scheduled more than 3 months apart? I thought the second was typically given 3 weeks after the first.

Parts of Canada are spreading them by 90+ days to ensure the highest number of people get their first shot as soon as possible. I understand that Pfizer provides 92% protection after the first, and the second raises that modestly to 94%, so that plan makes sense to me. We haven't had the same access to the vaccine as the US, with supply problems and logistical challenges.

Edited by CuriousByNature