Would you take a vaccination against Covid19 before trials end?

bigjoey
This topic is 1371 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The author suggests taking vaccination immediately before the phase three trials end due to the urgent nature of the pandemic.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2020/08/02/start-vaccinating-now/

For those Adults in good health without allergies, this might make sense. It could speed herd immunity in the population. For myself, I would if my doctor said to do so.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I want to hold out as long as possible because better vaccine candidates than the early ones out of the gate may evolve, but I can remain confined without financial consequence. My confinement stance also makes me a poor study subject because I would continue to take all measures to avoid virus exposure.

I don’t have expertise in Virology/Immunology, but what if a shitty vaccine on board in your system compromises the effectiveness of a better later vaccine option?

Edited by SirBIllybob

I’ll be concerned accepting the vaccine even after the trials are over and it is open to the general public. Last year, I became totally paralyzed for a few weeks with Guillaine-Barre syndrome probably caused by the flu vaccine. It was a grueling ordeal and had an unclear prognosis for a few weeks. Through the replacement of virtually all of my plasma and physical therapy I’m almost back to where I was. Now, I’m very cautious about vaccines.

I’ll be concerned accepting the vaccine even after the trials are over and it is open to the general public. Last year, I became totally paralyzed for a few weeks with Guillaine-Barre syndrome probably caused by the flu vaccine. It was a grueling ordeal and had an unclear prognosis for a few weeks. Through the replacement of virtually all of my plasma and physical therapy I’m almost back to where I was. Now, I’m very cautious about vaccines.

I know someone who had the same kind of reaction to the swine flu vaccine; treatment and rehab took a year, and she has never been the same.

May cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may be increased in patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Can can also cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events especially in the elderly, including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal.

Commonly reported side effects of include: hemorrhage, vomiting, anemia, decreased hemoglobin, eosinophilia, and hypertension. Other side effects include: upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage, upper gastrointestinal tract ulcer, dizziness, and dyspepsia.

The drug? Ibuprofen.

I got it (well, 50/50 chance I did). I am a nurse and work around Covid patients. I also have a couple doctor friends that got it for the same reason. I'd rather take my risk with the vaccine then not having anything other than a mask when having to be around people who are positive. I signed up for the Moderna study and had my first dose last Friday.

Absolutely yes. As a "previously" trained virologist, I think the paranoia of vaccine in this country has gone bananas. Even in this forum, which I believe represents a relatively more educated sector of the society, the hysterical fear of vaccine has reached beyond reason. Research has shown that most of the so called vaccine-induced illnesses are really not induced by vaccines at all, and vaccines by and large are exceedingly safe. The original poster asked if you would be willing to get vaccinated before the trials end. By clinical trial phase 3 or 4, the majority of safety studies have already been completed. So it should be reasonably safe to take such vaccination. Is it completely, 100% safe? Well, there is no such thing in life. You can sleep in your own bed and a giant sink hole could open up beneath your house and swallow you whole. The vaccine should be "safe enough."

I think resistance is two-pronged: fear based on pseudoscience, and skepticism about whether vaccination makes enough difference even if reliable science is not discounted.

I have taken influenza vaccine every year since late 1970s and I cannot remember the last time I had influenza; it is certainly decades. Yet influenza vaccination likely lowers the risk of probability of death from influenza infection by 30-40%. I am assuming that is due to less than 100% effectiveness of vaccination. The risk fatality reduction is pretty good from my point of view but I think many people would not be impressed.

Having been very ill with HBV at a point in history between the availability of blood-derived vaccine and eventual recombinant vaccine, I kicked myself for not knowing more about gay men’s health in the context of being recently out. My GP was gay but did not cover the hepatitis topic, perhaps because it was contemporaneous with early AIDS and HIV prevention that sucked up all the focus. [i am not excusing him; lesson learned]

If CoV vaccination is not effective for everybody while not attenuating disease severity for those who are vaccinated yet acquire infection, I think it stands to reason that mortality rates among that subgroup will approximate those of the non-vaccinated. In that case, maybe my thinking is distorted on this, but the ‘hard sell’ will be convincing people to take a partially effective vaccine (that is, not viable for all recipients), packaging in a convincing way the benefits of protecting others and reaching sufficient population immunity to mitigate incidence and reduce the numbers of people with sustained morbidity.

Edited by SirBIllybob

The author suggests taking vaccination immediately before the phase three trials end due to the urgent nature of the pandemic.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2020/08/02/start-vaccinating-now/

For those Adults in good health without allergies, this might make sense. It could speed herd immunity in the population. For myself, I would if my doctor said to do so.

I will, but not one of the first. I'll wait 3-6 months as they'll continue to work on a better vaccine that may have fewer unintended side effects. This is a virus that we have only known about for < 9 months, and there's still a lot of unknowns related to this coronavirus. Luckily, you have a researchers worldwide studying it. One of the questions, though along with vaccine development, are parallel studies on drugs that could prevent infection (like Truvada can to prevent HIV infection, for example).

I would not participate in the trial only because I do not want to risk being in the placebo group. I will get the vaccine as soon as it is available.

Got so caught up in this I forgot that component. Some trials will administer another ‘potentially better than nothing shot’ for control, such as meningitis vaccine, I think as well to attempt to mimic side effects of vaccine arm and maintain ‘double-blind’ rigour, but who needs it? Bless the hearts of volunteers, though, seriously.

I would not participate in the trial only because I do not want to risk being in the placebo group. I will get the vaccine as soon as it is available.

With the Moderna study, once they get approved or if another vaccine gets approved, the study will end and you will be able to get the vaccine. They want people to get vaccinated vs finish the study..

It depends. If trump starts promoting the Trump Vaccine created by Vaccines-R-Us just before the election, I'll pass. When there's a vaccine available that's endorsed by the nonpolitical medical community, then yes, I would get vaccinated. I suspect once there's a vaccine, requirements to wear masks and other precautions in public are going to be eased or eliminated. There will be a lot of unvaccinated, unmasked and potentially contagious people out and about, so it may be safer to go ahead and get the vaccine. Many businesses will require employees to be vaccinated or have proof of already recovering from the virus. Maybe airlines and cruise ships will require the same of both employees and customers.