Any good Netflix watches?

Netflix's 'Squid Game' will generate nearly $900 million for the company - despite costing only $21 million to make

• Bloomberg reported that the documents said the series was watched by a record 132 million people.

• "Squid Game" cost around $2.4 million an episode, far less than "The Crown" and "Stranger Things."

Speaking of HBO series (Sopranos), the 3rd season of Succession starts tonight, Oct 17. (so irritating the way HBO releases 1 episode at a time, what is this, 1990?)

Edited by tassojunior

On 10/12/2021 at 8:42 AM, pitman said:

I once had a rare opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of a dubbed show vs one with subtitles.  In the '70s PBS broadcast Bergman's SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE (far better than the current HBO version).  I had access to the PBS stations in both Madison and Milwaukee, which were showing it at the same time.  Madison showed the subtitled version while Milwaukee went with the dubbed version.  While watching I frequently flipped channels to see which I preferred.  In this case the dubbed version was excellent, dubbed by the actors in the film instead of a third party.  Both actors (Liv Ullman & Erland Josephson) were fluent in English and the dubbing was seamless and convincing.  Even so, I still preferred hearing the actors speak in the original Swedish.  Most dubbing is not of this high quality so I will always go with subtitles if they are available.

All Catalan-language movies/TV shows are dubbed into Spanish with the same actors since all Catalan speakers are bilingual.  Even though the quality of the dubbing is top-notch, I still can't watch the dubbed version because I just get too annoyed that the sound you hear & the actors' lips are so out of synch.

20 hours ago, tassojunior said:

dubbed movies always make me feel eerie that there seems to be another person in the room talking while the actors are just moving their lips. 

I always choose original audio language and English subtitles when available. Takes a bit more concentration (and need to pause the stream when running to kitchen for a snack!) but is a better presentation of a show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, MikeThomas said:

It was originally on HBO or Showtime. Can't remember. Excellent show Matt Leblanc plays a somewhat alternate universe Matt Leblanc character. Very funny.

The two Brits are very well established and regarded actors in the UK.

Just binged watched all 5 seasons of Episodes.  Matt LeBlanc was very good in the role of himself as a self absorbed, conniving, philanderer and alcoholic.  However, they gave his character some depth and there were glimpses of many other aspects of his character.  Granted most of those other aspects were not particularly nice either,  Despite all that, his character is ultimately iikable.  He received at least one Emmy nomination for the role and he deserved it.   

23 hours ago, purplekow said:

Just binged watched all 5 seasons of Episodes.  Matt LeBlanc was very good in the role of himself as a self absorbed, conniving, philanderer and alcoholic.  However, they gave his character some depth and there were glimpses of many other aspects of his character.  Granted most of those other aspects were not particularly nice either,  Despite all that, his character is ultimately iikable.  He received at least one Emmy nomination for the role and he deserved it.   

Great show.  Hilarious.  I didn't like/watch friends.  matt LeBlanc was excellent in Episodes.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:56 PM, Micheal Wade said:

Anyone watching "Maid" on Netflix? I like it

Maid 

Very interesting story about dealing with bureaucracy and a fucked-up mother among many other things. 

Nick Robinson (American actor) - Wikipedia looks unrecognizable and more matured as Sean and white trash but sexy. 

"Love Simon" age 22

spacer.png

"Maid" age 26

MAID_110_Unit_00580R-e1634046526980.jpg?

Edited by marylander1940

If you haven't already, check out Arcane on Netflix. It's received high critical and audience acclaim for its storytelling, animation (up there with Into the Spider-verse), cinematography, voice acting, and how well it was adapted from its video game source.

It's a dark, emotionally compelling story about two sisters trying to survive in a beautiful, but often brutal world around them.

Edited by curiousbynature12

A few pages (and several months) back, @thickornotatallmentioned the British show Doctor Foster. I just found it recently and am seconding his recommendation.

I have now seen the first (five episode) season, and the first episode of the second (and final) season. Although the title characer (played by Suranne Jones) is a doctor, this is not a medical show. The focus is on Dr. Foster's marriage, specifically her suspicion of her husband's infidelity. 

Jones plays her character to suggest that Dr. Foster (overworked and tightly wound) is sometimes just this side of madness, and it makes for a riveting show.

P.S. I found Doctor Foster after watching Dalgliesh (also recommended, but it's not on Netflix) in which Bertie Carvel (the husband in Doctor Foster) plays Adam Dalgliesh, the estimable poet-detective-protagonist in most of the mystery novels of P.D. James.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 9:46 AM, curiousbynature12 said:

If you haven't already, check out Arcane on Netflix. It's received high critical and audience acclaim for its storytelling, animation (up there with Into the Spider-verse), cinematography, voice acting, and how well it was adapted from its video game source.

It's a dark, emotionally compelling story about two sisters trying to survive in a beautiful, but often brutal world around them.

I highly recommend this show as well! It is based off a pc game, League of Legends, but viewers do not need to know a single thing about the game to watch the show. The animation and storytelling are truly refreshing. A must watch!

Eternal Summer (2006) is a Taiwanese film about a cute schoolboy and his handsome classmate.  

I enjoyed parts of it.   3 of 5 stars.   It's nearly 2 hours, and became a bit of a chore waiting for the end but I'm still glad I watched it.  Did we all fall in love with a classmate during high school or college?

spacer.png

I enjoyed a recent Taiwanese story much more, Your Name Engraved Herein (2020) which was briefly discussed in another thread.  Again, a cute schoolboy has a very handsome classmate.

In both cases I'm pretty sure the films make a lot more sense coming from a Taiwanese culture, especially YNEH, where a reveal makes the most sense if one understands a relationship to characters in the Chinese alphabet.    

spacer.png

• 5 months later...

I just finished The Innocent, a Spanish mystery thriller based on a Harlan Coben novel.  Wow, one of the best series I've seen on Netflix.  I'll rank it a strong #2 behind Money Heist.  The protagonist is a guy who is provoked into a bar fight in which he accidentally kills a man.  After he gets out of prison, he tries to put his life back together and does a good job of it until his wife gets a phone call and needs to go to Berlin for work.  But instead of going on a legit business trip, she mysteriously disappears.

Since I don't want to give away any spoilers, I'll leave it at that, but The Innocent is definitely worth watching.  Available in English dubbed and subtitles.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:46 AM, curiousbynature12 said:

Hate the music, hate that video-game style of animation...LOVED the series despite myself.  :-)

Great story, went directions I didn't expect.  I didn't find it especially dark, but I watch a lot of anime, so my threshold for labeling something "dark" almost doesn't exist.  

As soon as I finished the last episode I started googling, "Arcane S2 start date?" 

5 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

Hate the music, hate that video-game style of animation...LOVED the series despite myself.  :-)

Great story, went directions I didn't expect.  I didn't find it especially dark, but I watch a lot of anime, so my threshold for labeling something "dark" almost doesn't exist.  

As soon as I finished the last episode I started googling, "Arcane S2 start date?" 

That's fair. It's as dark as anime series like School Days, School Live, or Made in Abyss, but it had darker themes compared to most western animated series.

Fingers crossed that Arcane S2 comes out by the end of next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a Netflix movie worth watching, Below Zero, about a prison break that turns out to be something else.  It's a good thriller with enough twists to keep you guessing.

One disappointment was The Cook of Castamar, a Spanish period drama set in (I'm guessing) the 1700s.  It was great mostly because the bad guy is so deliciously evil.  You love to hate him, which makes the series so much fun.  But when the bad guy ends up as most bad guys end up, I realized everything else about the series was kinda boring.  The first 10 episodes when the bad guy is diabolically ruining everyone's life gets a 9 out of 10.  The last 2 episodes all about the other characters gets a 4 out of 10.

Edited by BSR
Deleted redundancy

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a huge fan of documentaries, and Netflix has some really good ones. 

I’d wholeheartedly recommend “Murder By The Coast”. It’s a Spanish language documentary with subtitles, about the murder of teen Rocío Wanninkhof in 1999. I don’t want to give too much away, but the series focuses on the bias against the main suspect, the lesbian ex- partner of the murdered girls mother. It’s very engrossing with twists, and turns that keeps your attention. 

There is a follow-up documentary called “Dolores”. Again, I’d wholeheartedly recommend this one. This documentary covers what happened to everyone involved since the murders, and trials 20 years earlier. This one is on HBOMAX. 

I primarily watch documentaries, mysteries, police procedurals, but I’ll watch anything provided it has a story that hooks me.

I’d also recommend any of the series based on Harlan Coben’s books, “Doctor Foster”, “Paranoid”, “The Puppet Master”, “Young Wallender”, “Sophie”, “The Ripper” among others. 

Covid saw me signing up for all sorts of streaming services. Now I subscribe to BritBox, Hulu, Netflix, HBOMAX, and not a streaming service, IrishBox. 

Always happy to give, and receive recommendations for any of them! 👍🏻

Cheers,
BBD