Any good Netflix watches?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Spanish series "Un paso adelante" (one step forward) just became available on Netflix.  It's pretty much a copy of "Fame," except that this school for the performing arts is in Madrid.  Be advised, the plots and dialogue are pretty bad, almost painful at times.  But you can fast forward through them to watch just the dance numbers, which are absolutely top-notch.  Some were so good I rewound & rewatched them 3-4 times.  One flamenco number I must have watched at least 10 times.

1 hour ago, tassojunior said:

Surprised there's no mention of The Squid Game. I was surprised I like it so much. Very Korean murder/comedy with a lot of soul-searching on the human condition, greed and poverty.  

A friend and I just binge watched 6 of the 9 episodes today.  I needed to work through the bad dubbing, but once I did, what a show.   I’m hooked and can’t wait to see the last three episodes.

3 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Surprised there's no mention of The Squid Game. I was surprised I like it so much. Very Korean murder/comedy with a lot of soul-searching on the human condition, greed and poverty.  

I watched the entire series in two days. I seriously hope the cliffhanger end isn't the last episode though tbh I wish it had ended differently but I won't say how for those who haven't seen the whole series yet.

2 hours ago, RJD said:

A friend and I just binge watched 6 of the 9 episodes today.  I needed to work through the bad dubbing, but once I did, what a show.   I’m hooked and can’t wait to see the last three episodes.

As a hearing impaired person, I watch movies and shows with the captions on. I watch all foreign items in native tongue since I would be reading subtitles anyway.

21 hours ago, Islesguy said:

As a hearing impaired person, I watch movies and shows with the captions on. I watch all foreign items in native tongue since I would be reading subtitles anyway.

We actually had the subtitles on in the beginning but the dubbed dialogue didn’t match the subtitles, which was annoying, so we turned it off.  

21 hours ago, Islesguy said:

I watched the entire series in two days. I seriously hope the cliffhanger end isn't the last episode though tbh I wish it had ended differently but I won't say how for those who haven't seen the whole series yet.

We finished it up tonight.  I had several people recommend it, but they all had difficulty explaining it.  I totally get it now that I’ve watched it.  

I’m sure there’ll be a second season, especially after the cliffhanger.  

3 minutes ago, RJD said:

We actually had the subtitles on in the beginning but the dubbed dialogue didn’t match the subtitles, which was annoying, so we turned it off.  

Dubbing still hasn't come very far from the old Japanese monster movie days for some reason. I could be wrong but I think subtitles are a more accurate translation of the script than the spoken dubbing.

1 minute ago, RJD said:

We finished it up tonight.  I had several people recommend it, but they all had difficulty explaining it.  I totally get it now that I’ve watched it.  

I’m sure there’ll be a second season, especially after the cliffhanger.  

Right. They cannot leave that as the end. I have seen movies with cliffhanger endings specifically to create a "design your own ending" situation. Never a fan.

2 minutes ago, Islesguy said:

Dubbing still hasn't come very far from the old Japanese monster movie days for some reason. I could be wrong but I think subtitles are a more accurate translation of the script than the spoken dubbing.

We were joking that the poor dubbing made it feel like we were watching a Godzilla movie.  

1 minute ago, RJD said:

The subtitles don't even match the dialogue in the original language.  If available, I watch Spanish-language movies/TV shows from other countries (i.e., any country outside of Spain) with Spanish subtitles because I miss just a little too much of the dialogue otherwise.  You'd think they'd just grab the script & plug it into the subtitles, but nope, plenty of discrepancies.  It drives me nuts. 

2 minutes ago, Islesguy said:

Right. They cannot leave that as the end. I have seen movies with cliffhanger endings specifically to create a "design your own ending" situation. Never a fan.

I hated the finale of the Soprano’s for that very reason.  I thought my cable went out at the most dramatic moment in the entire series when my screen went black and silent.  No, it was them forcing the viewer to create their own ending.  I don’t want to create my own ending.  Entertain me.  Give me the whole story.   

5 hours ago, RJD said:

I hated the finale of the Soprano’s for that very reason.  I thought my cable went out at the most dramatic moment in the entire series when my screen went black and silent.  No, it was them forcing the viewer to create their own ending.  I don’t want to create my own ending.  Entertain me.  Give me the whole story.   

You're not alone.  A cousin was a die-hard Sopranos fan.  His reaction at the ending:  "Please tell me the satellite dish went out."  He was in a bad mood for days after the finale.

10 hours ago, BSR said:

The subtitles don't even match the dialogue in the original language.  If available, I watch Spanish-language movies/TV shows from other countries (i.e., any country outside of Spain) with Spanish subtitles because I miss just a little too much of the dialogue otherwise.  You'd think they'd just grab the script & plug it into the subtitles, but nope, plenty of discrepancies.  It drives me nuts. 

I once had a rare opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of a dubbed show vs one with subtitles.  In the '70s PBS broadcast Bergman's SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE (far better than the current HBO version).  I had access to the PBS stations in both Madison and Milwaukee, which were showing it at the same time.  Madison showed the subtitled version while Milwaukee went with the dubbed version.  While watching I frequently flipped channels to see which I preferred.  In this case the dubbed version was excellent, dubbed by the actors in the film instead of a third party.  Both actors (Liv Ullman & Erland Josephson) were fluent in English and the dubbing was seamless and convincing.  Even so, I still preferred hearing the actors speak in the original Swedish.  Most dubbing is not of this high quality so I will always go with subtitles if they are available.

So as regards The Squid Game on Netflix, is the advice to watch the vid reading the subtitles or watching with the dubbing?  In reading through the posts I can't tell if there is a preference or if both versions are fairly insufficient.  I want to watch it but I'd like to start it using the preferred method.  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, TruthBTold said:

So as regards The Squid Game on Netflix, is the advice to watch the vid reading the subtitles or watching with the dubbing?  In reading through the posts I can't tell if there is a preference or if both versions are fairly insufficient.  I want to watch it but I'd like to start it using the preferred method.  Thanks.

The dubbing is so bad that I have to agree it was intentional to make it seem more Godzillaish and not a serious attempt at a "good" dub someone would actually use. 

Edited by tassojunior

45 minutes ago, TruthBTold said:

Honestly, it’s six of one, half-dozen of the other.  The irritating aspect was that the dub and subtitles didn’t match exactly.  We turned off the subtitles.  Both convey the story adequately enough, so I think it’s a matter of personal preference.  If you don’t mind subtitles, I’d play it in the original Korean so you don’t experience those differences between the English dub and English subtitles.  The dub was entertaining in that, as @tassojunior and I said, it had a Godzilla vibe.  

On 10/12/2021 at 1:34 AM, RJD said:

I hated the finale of the Soprano’s...  I thought my cable went out at the most dramatic moment in the entire series when my screen went black and silent.  No, it was them forcing the viewer to create their own ending.  I don’t want to create my own ending.  Entertain me.  Give me the whole story.   

On 10/12/2021 at 6:40 AM, BSR said:

You're not alone.  A cousin was a die-hard Sopranos fan.  His reaction at the ending:  "Please tell me the satellite dish went out."  He was in a bad mood for days after the finale.

Tony survived and Meadow testified against him in a big mob trial, which is why she's in the Witness Protection Program as a waitress in Montana named Tonya (on ABC's BIG SKY).

BTW, I assume y'all know she has MS and is Lenny Dykstra's daughter-in-law.