Drinking more during the lockdown?

Pensant
This topic is 1497 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have you found yourself drinking more lately? Not a big drinker, but I have been drinking more, as have most of my friends and family. Every Friday, my neighbors and I have a social distancing cocktail party. I’m going on a 30-day abstention starting today. I don’t want to acquire another bad habit.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you found yourself drinking more lately? Not a big drinker, but I have been drinking more, as have most of my friends and family. Every Friday, my neighbors and I have a social distancing cocktail party. I’m going on a 30-day abstention starting today. I don’t want to acquire another bad habit.

It can go from”social” to “bad habit” problem in a blink and you won’t even see it change.

I do have a little more "teensy weensy martinis" than I used to. Mainly to sleep.

The other thing is that my small condo building has had a "party day" planned where a day is picked and then everyone makes a portable baked good (liked cupcakes or cookies). Then they bag them for at least overnight to be brought down on the party day. Then people can go down to the room that is chosen (not that many to choose from) and take one or two things. You can then bag them and keep them out for a day if you want or have for coffee the next day. It is to lift spirits.

No - But I'm a teetotaler anyway. And I still practice full-time. I've found staying occupied to be really soothing, so Ive been taking care of all sorts of things I had been putting off. Weve been hitting the desserts pretty hard. My husband has been cranking out pies. A few days ago, I made blueberry lemon pound cake. Just yesterday. I found a Kodiak Cakes brownie mix in the cabinet and I made that. I think they might be the best brownies Ive ever had. I've been sleeping late every day. Feel terrific.

It can go from”social” to “bad habit” problem in a blink and you won’t even see it change.

My mom's family has a very bad history of alcohol abuse. Me too until I was 33. I still drink occasionally, but not to excess. I am still totally embarrassed by some the things I did when drunk.

I doubt my Mother ever had even a beer during her life, so a good

Roll model

Now that our restaurants can serve two cocktails to go with a food purchase, I've taken advantage of that a couple times and will have one drink with dinner and the other goes in my fridge for a night cap and in the past I would never have alcohol with a take out meal at home. I'm very anal about drinking and driving and normally only have drinks if it's a restaurant I can walk or bike to, so I'm getitng the chance to try a few different cocktails from places I would had diet coke with the meal at before.

But on the other hand there is a bar next door to my condo that is cheers type bar where a lot of people in my building go and a couple of my friends have apartments in that building and I would usually go there once or twice a week to meet up with friends and have a cider so my drinking there has decreased.