How to make a mask from an old T-shirt

Old Blue
This topic is 1489 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I would do some research to find out if the micropores in t-shirt fabric are small enough to stop Covid droplets and aerosol from coming into contact with my mouth and nose. And by the way, we also have receptors in our eyes, which it’s not being told on the media, I don’t know why. This is a fucking nasty virus and protective eye glasses are very important too.

If you go to Top Sellers on Amazon you can drop to Health Supplies where the top mask deals are every day.

50 for 5 bucks shipped right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Personal-Protection-Dust-Proof-Spittle/dp/B085Y4HYKR/ref=zg_bs_hpc_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4QRGH8ZTVMA2851ET54Y

Update: I got an email from Amazon these shipped 30 minutes after purchase.

61uK2n7hW%2BL._AC_SL1219_.jpg

Edited by tassojunior

If you go to Top Sellers on Amazon you can drop to Health Supplies where the top mask deals are every day.

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Personal-Protection-Dust-Proof-Spittle/dp/B085Y4HYKR/ref=zg_bs_hpc_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4QRGH8ZTVMA2851ET54Y

Thank you. I was about to post this. I just ordered my masks too. And actually Fauci has confirmed that Coronavirus is airborne, meaning that we can get it through breathing and talking in the same space where people infected are/WERE. The WHO says otherwise but at this point I don't believe anything they say anymore and I would NOT take any chances with a t-shirt mask. It looks like until they come up with a viable vaccine for everyone we're all fu**ed-up.

Edited by lonely_john

I wish I had ordered this when I saw your posting last night. The price was $5.87 with delivery by 04/09/20. Unfortunately I have this "Frienemy" (Friend/Enemy) called "Procrastination" that got in the way along with his cousin "Distraction" and failed to place the order. ;):p

When I remembered and checked early his morning the price had increased to $10.99 and delivery by 05/13/20 :confused:

I wish I had ordered this when I saw your posting last night. The price was $5.87 with delivery by 04/09/20. Unfortunately I have this "Frienemy" (Friend/Enemy) called "Procrastination" that got in the way along with his cousin "Distraction" and failed to place the order. ;):p

When I remembered and checked early his morning the price had increased to $10.99 and delivery by 05/13/20 :confused:

That "Best Sellers" Healthcare category keeps updating with great deals on masks, thermometers, oximeters, etc.

Nice! I would do some research to find out if the micropores in t-shirt fabric are small enough to stop Covid droplets and aerosol from coming into contact with my mouth and nose. And by the way, we also have receptors in our eyes, which it’s not being told on the media, I don’t know why. This is a fucking nasty virus and protective eye glasses are very important too.

If you're properly distancing and doing any kind of mask, odds you will catch it are significantly reduced. It's the compounding effect of partial measures that reduces the risk. Sure, we could all wear hazmat suits and then just do pretty much whatever we wanted, but that's kind of unrealistic. But You do one thing that cuts risk 20%, and another, and another, and you have really made a dent in things.

Suppose the number of cases triples every month if we do nothing. At the end of the year, one case becomes 3^12=531,441 cases.

Now suppose everyone takes measures that reduce the rate of transmission 50%, so it doubles every month instead of tripling. Then that one case becomes 2^12=4,096. So by implementing measures that are only 50% effective, you could reduce the caseload 99%. And that buys time to develop a treatment or vaccine.

Similarly even if not everyone adopts the measures but most people do, there's still a strong effect because chains of infection get broken.

The above were made-up rates to illustrate the concept. Things that on the individual level are not perfect still have a profound cumulative effect.

tl;dr doing something is better than doing nothing, and you don't need to freak out about not doing absolutely everything as long as most people are doing something. (If you yourself have a reason to think you are in a higher-risk group of complications, though, you are not wrong to want to take extra precautions beyond the recommendations).

I hope you didn't post this just to criticize Cuomo and agree with Trump?

Good thing I have so many old t-shirts sitting around collecting dust! I was wondering how to get face masks since they seem to be sold out everywhere. So glad I saw this video. Thanks!

not all masks are safe! It's in Spanish but he clearly shows there's a reason why professionals prefer certain kind of masks.

not all masks are safe! It's in Spanish but he clearly shows there's a reason why professionals prefer certain kind of masks.

Simple and to the point presentation that doesn't even require translation... Bien hecho!

The first masks are just fabric, i.e. similar to t-shirt fabric, and the last ones are medical use, similar to N95, hence the simulation of sneeze does not pass to the other side. i would definitely not risk using a t-shirt mask. THERE IS A REASON WHY T-SHIRTS ARE BREATHABLE SO WE CAN WEAR THEM AND FEEL FRESH. I would not put a price to my life and would buy any medical masks I can find on Amazon even if they cost $10. How much is your life’s worth?

Edited by lonely_john

The first masks are just fabric, i.e. similar to t-shirt fabric, and the last ones are medical use, similar to N95, hence the simulation of sneeze does not pass to the other side. i would definitely not risk using a t-shirt mask. THERE IS A REASON WHY T-SHIRTS ARE BREATHABLE SO WE CAN WEAR THEM AND FEEL FRESH. I would not put a price to my life and would buy any medical masks I can find on Amazon even if they cost $10. How much is your life worth?

Look up a few posts and you'll see how some just love saving a few bucks.

Here's another make your own mask option which seems a little easier than the t-shirt option.

I'll try this while waiting for the online mask order to arrive.

[MEDIA=twitter]1246186931643449349[/MEDIA]

If you don’t wash after every use I would at least open the whole fabril and spray with Lysol and send it to laundry after the third use.

Sure t-shirts may be breathable, but wearing masks in public is designed to protect the public from any pathogens you may breathe out, not to stop you from breathing them in. They stop you from broadcasting droplets and contaminating surfaces. The risk from inhaling aerosols is less than that from touching contaminated surfaces and subsequently touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Any sort of mask is likely to stop you touching your nose or mouth, even the ones that anti-globalisation protester wore. If you want to have a mask that reduces your chances of inhaling airborne viruses, you need an N95 mask or better. The plain surgical masks that clinicians used routinely in non-pandemic times are not much more effective than a cloth mask would be.

I'm in an urban area so when I go outside I'm now using a cheap surgical mask or a cheap cloth one. But absolutely I do not go into a grocery or any other store without my N95 on, even though it's uncomfortable. It's not as uncomfortable as dying of the virus. And it makes it hard to small talk with workers there I know, but while pleasant, their conversations are not to die for. I'm afraid my grocery store attire will soon be adding goggle-type glasses.

There are $10 washable cooling-material neck gaiters/wraps that can be pulled up over the mouth and nose. have high-filtration, and can be wet to cool in the summer.:

61TNiJHg2ML._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg81ze4Jq+RgL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg