Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

I don't pay a lot of attention to grocery prices, since my collection of products, at several different supermarkets, differs so much from one shopping to the next . However, I have noticed an increase in prices for the same items at Total Wine, where I purchase all my alcohol every two weeks. I assume that has more to do with the terrible fires over the last two years in California wine country than with the pandemic.

Have you seen an increase in your total spend on groceries post-covid?

Is Instacart better than the own delivery service of the supermarket itself?

Our grocery bill has gone up by about 25%. Things like meat are more expensive. You can’t buy or wait for sales any more. If you see it buy it. Otherwise they’ll be out of it. Frozen vegetable are constantly out of something. Fresh salad is hit and miss

Costco has the Vertuo Next for $190 with 62 capsules and Bed bath and beyond wants $210 without the capsules. Not sure if I can get the black friday 25 percent off on a Vertuo machine or if it's excluded from the discount.

Both places have the same stock photo with the milk frother next to it but neither indicate if the frother comes with it or not. If the frother comes with it that is a great deal at Costco if it's coffee you like.

If you can accept the least fancy Vertuo machine (the Next), you should be able to find that on sale for around $100. I almost got one last year at Target for just under $100, and I bit the bullet a couple of months ago when it was under $100 again.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I meant to know if you've felt like grocery prices have increased in your area since COVID ...

Sadly... I'm a typical millennial and didn't track the price of every grocery item. I do know that Coca Cola Zero... my addiction of choice... stayed the same at $1 per 2 litter bottle on sale

If you can accept the least fancy Vertuo machine (the Next), you should be able to find that on sale for around $100. I almost got one last year at Target for just under $100, and I bit the bullet a couple of months ago when it was under $100 again.

Does it really pay to buy a more expensive machine if someone is only making one or two cups of coffee a day?

Our grocery bill has gone up by about 25%. Things like meat are more expensive. You can’t buy or wait for sales any more. If you see it buy it. Otherwise they’ll be out of it. Frozen vegetable are constantly out of something. Fresh salad is hit and miss

Thank you. I thought it was only my impression.

Sadly... I'm a typical millennial and didn't track the price of every grocery item. I do know that Coca Cola Zero... my addiction of choice... stayed the same at $1 per 2 litter bottle on sale

Speaking of coke zero that is getting hard to find. I haven't seen Cherry or Orange vanilla coke zero in a few months (or any flavored diet coke) and a lot of grocery stores don't have coke zero any longer and I haven't seen it at Costco in a long time. The Wendy's by my office hasn't had coke zero syrup the past few times I've been there.

Does it really pay to buy a more expensive machine if someone is only making one or two cups of coffee a day?

I looked at a YouTube video where someone compared a Vertuo Next with a more expensive VertuoLine machine. The froth/foam produced by the Next machine dissipated more quickly after the cups finished brewing. The person who made the video claimed that the next machine's cup tasted slightly less good. I've never done a comparison myself, but am happy with what I get out of my Next machine.

The real reason someone might want a more expensive machine is features. The Next is manual -- you have to push the lid down with a fair amount of force, and then move the locking lever to the left with a fair amount of force until it's locked in place and the machine is ready to brew. I have never used a VertuoPlus myself, but I've seen one used at a Nespresso shop and just looked at a YouTube video to confirm my memory that opening and closing that machine requires just a little push of a finger on a lever. I imagine that someone who has difficulty using his hands would find the Next a bit frustrating to use. Beyond that, the size of the water tank differs between models (though the difference here is only 3 ounces) and the form factor differs, so one machine might fit one's space better than the other.

Long lines or long walks? I like walking the lines don't bother me either.

Once or twice a month I don't mind a long line specially if I see other products that are not on my list and discover new things. As I posted before in this thread even though I buy a few things online I'll never give up the experience of going to the supermarket. We can always find an hour twice or once a month to do it. I find grocery shopping a relaxing experience and for some of my friends who live in a suburb that might be the longest walk they do.

I shop at a smaller boutique market which becomes as much as a social thing as it is a shopping event.

Speaking of coke zero that is getting hard to find. I haven't seen Cherry or Orange vanilla coke zero in a few months (or any flavored diet coke) and a lot of grocery stores don't have coke zero any longer and I haven't seen it at Costco in a long time. The Wendy's by my office hasn't had coke zero syrup the past few times I've been there.

Supposedly the Coca Cola Company has been focusing on keeping their main brands in stock at the expense of less popular flavors, as factories and supply chains are having trouble keeping up with demand

My local Starbucks is like that too. And it is practically next door. But just take out during covid19

Mine also! In fact, since I order the same thing, Venti Iced Americano, all year long, there were a couple of times in the morning on the way to work that they noticed me waiting to cross the street, started it and it was finished by the time I got to the register!

Beginning with the start of the COVID dilemma, I generally don't go to the grocery store. Very occasionally I do and it sometimes is Whole Foods. I generally bring my own Whole Foods bag to reuse. When I went this time the clerk asked me that because I was reusing my bag did I want to bag my own groceries. I certainly was not offended and told him that I did not mind it (particularly as I wanted to try to get them all in the one bag). I am not sure if he would have bagged them in my bag if I said "no" or if he would have used the bags they had that day. Or perhaps he was just offering because people have complained about their reusable bags being touched by the clerk. I had no idea.

Beginning with the start of the COVID dilemma, I generally don't go to the grocery store. Very occasionally I do and it sometimes is Whole Foods. I generally bring my own Whole Foods bag to reuse. When I went this time the clerk asked me that because I was reusing my bag did I want to bag my own groceries. I certainly was not offended and told him that I did not mind it (particularly as I wanted to try to get them all in the one bag). I am not sure if he would have bagged them in my bag if I said "no" or if he would have used the bags they had that day. Or perhaps he was just offering because people have complained about their reusable bags being touched by the clerk. I had no idea.

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in AZ have required customers who use their own bags to bag the groceries for some time. The checker "asking" if you'd like to bag them yourself might be a polite way of saying "if you use your own bag, you have to bag the groceries."

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in AZ have required customers who use their own bags to bag the groceries for some time. The checker "asking" if you'd like to bag them yourself might be a polite way of saying "if you use your own bag, you have to bag the groceries."

New York is also on the same wagon with "bring your own bag or pay for one" - so far the checkout folks have been kind enough to help me bag things up.