Close to 50yo.... Where to retire?

MidwestCoastal
This topic is 1625 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just curious where older gay men are thinking about or have chosen to retire. I could be 15+ years away from ultimate retirement, but thinking I want to start 'trying out' some locations....Airbnb visits....then possibly buy a small home.... try before I ultimately make the decision.

Open to anywhere, but ideally:

-Liberal

-Not a huge city

-Don't think I want heat/beach

-I do like the mountains

-College town

I'm partial to Asheville, NC.... maybe Charlottesville, VA....

Any suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been lots of strings on this subject, but given your list, I'd consider Portland OR unless you consider it a huge city, which I don't. If you really would like a major university, then maybe Corvallis OR. We don't consider the hills around Asheville or Charlottesville to be "mountains" here on the west coast. Also, those towns can get pretty steamy in the summer. I find Portland OR to be very pleasant and livable. It's not inexpensive, but not really up there, either.

There have been lots of strings on this subject, but given your list, I'd consider Portland OR unless you consider it a huge city, which I don't. If you really would like a major university, then maybe Corvallis OR. We don't consider the hills around Asheville or Charlottesville to be "mountains" here on the west coast. Also, those towns can get pretty steamy in the summer. I find Portland OR to be very pleasant and livable. It's not inexpensive, but not really up there, either.

I agree about Oregon in general and Portland especially. I have. Hitched throughout Washington and Oregon twice (years ago). Especially nice in the Summer.

admittedly, I'm not an Easterner, but just trying to think of places that meet all the stuff on your list, I come up with......

Boulder, CO (a bit full of itself, though)

Missoula, MT (the Moscow of Montana)

Austin, TX ("Moscow On The Colorado", a bit warm in the summer and some might call the hills nearby "mountains" ??)

Ogden, UT (despite the UT in there, you'd be very surprised about the entire Wasatch Front)

Seattle, WA (may be "huge" to you??)

KAW_STICKER_tydy__29345.1550848933.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Buffalo or Binghamton, NY.

I know it's not mountainous, but New Haven, CT is great and you can take a commuter train direct to NYC.

Almost any college town is going to be liberal even if the surrounding area isn't. Little pockets of blue as some call them.

Portland, absolutely. Several smaller towns outside it are fine. No heat. Mountains ! Waterfalls ! Mountain Ocean Beaches ! Plenty of air connections everywhere on Alaska. 2 gay strip clubs with lap dances.

On the east coast I don't think we're allowed to retire anywhere but Wilton Manors in Ft Lauderdale, are we? 3 biggest gay stipclubs in the US with nude private-room dances. Maybe too hot.

At any rate Ashville and Charottesville are big No's. "College towns" full of Hills and hillbillies. UVA but also Liberty University and Jerry Falwell.

Edited by tassojunior

QUOTE="azdr0710, post: 1827731, member: 5778"]admittedly, I'm not an Easterner, but just trying to think of places that meet all the stuff on your list, I come up with......

Austin, TX ("Moscow On The Colorado", a bit warm in the summer and some might call the hills nearby "mountains" ??)

Ogden, UT (despite the UT in there, you'd be very surprised about the entire Wasatch Front)

Not one of the states in which those cities are located are majority liberal.

Based on the OP's criteria, he wants to retire to Evanston, IL.

-Liberal: Makes Berkeley look conservative and very very LGBTQ... friendly

-Not a huge city: 70K population, but right next to Chicago in case you decide you need a huge city for a day

-Don't think I want heat/beach: It's always cooler near the lake. Oh, wait - there's that beach thing. Live west of the L tracks and you'll never see the water. Trust me.

-I do like the mountains: Sorry, no mountains but there is that hill right off Ridge Blvd

-College town: Take your pick: Northwestern and National-Lewis University

I would add Eugene, Oregon to that list. College town, beautiful surroundings, very liberal and inclusive, close proximity to beach and mountains. Also, Oregon has no sales tax making it more affordable.

I would add Eugene, Oregon to that list. College town, beautiful surroundings, very liberal and inclusive, close proximity to beach and mountains. Also, Oregon has no sales tax making it more affordable.

Also, no self-serve gas stations in Oregon. So young men will come up to you in your car and chat you up!!

Glad to see recommendations of Eugene, OR. I almost moved there myself, and I may still do so if the weather in Palm Springs keeps getting worse (it's that global warming thing).

Portland is becoming a very big city, and Seattle is huge; both also have terrible traffic and housing is getting pretty expensive. Austin has no mountains, and the population is exploding.

Santa Fe fits most of the criteria, but it can be fairly expensive. Olympia, WA, is not really a college town, but smaller state capitals often are like college towns, and it fits the other criteria. Flagstaff, AZ, is a bit isolated, but otherwise a possible candidate; likewise for Missoula. No one has mentioned Bellingham, WA, which at one time was rated the most desirable place in America to live by one of those retirement guides.

The only place mentioned so far by other posters that I have never been to is Boulder, but I have heard good things about it.

Finally, have you ever thought about Pittsburgh? It is not a really big city any longer (the population is only about one quarter of Austin's) but it still has big city amenities, a couple of important universities, good health care, mountains, relatively liberal, and a lower cost of living than many of the other places mentioned here.

I just turned 60 and have been looking for a place to retire to for 10 years!! I'm already retired from work but I returned to Michigan about 3 years ago due to aging parents. Dad has since died but I still live with and care for mom. I won't be moving as long as she is still around. Personally, I would never consider anywhere in Florida. I lived in Miami during most of the 90's and early 2000's and suffered through Hurricane Andrew. I consider the hurricane threat in Florida to be too great. As a peninsula, it is so exposed to the weather. I'm not willing to take that risk again. Nice place to visit but not live IMHO.

Of all the places in the US I have visited in the last 10 years, I was most impressed with San Diego and Portland Or. I could easily live in either. Neither is very cost effective however....especially San Diego.

Here in Michigan, I would probably only consider living in East Lansing or Ann Arbor longer term. Both very liberal medium sized college towns. Having said that, I will probably end up back in Houston, where I have the closest friends. That was where I lived prior to moving back to Michigan. Before I get flamed, yes I know hurricanes can also affect Houston. That is true. however, I don't see the risk as severe as in Florida. Galveston is very exposed but Houston being 30-50 miles inland is less at risk. The main threat for Houston is flooding... whether from a hurricane or just normal tropical weather. The key is to not live in lower lying areas that are prone to flooding. It seems that the same areas keep flooding over and over again....even from just a strong thunderstorm.

Best of luck to the OP.

P.s. I would also consider Montreal as a place to retire to in North America but obviously one has to come to terms with the severe winters or plan to go south for 4 months of the year.

Don't forget that a lot can change in fifteen years. After lots of research and lots of visits to potential retirement locations all over the US, we settled on Palm Springs as ideal. After fifteen years here, it no longer seems as ideal to us, due to growth and climate change, combined with slow degradation of the environment and unexpected allergies. I do think that your idea of trying a place out for a while before making a permanent commitment is a good one.

Just curious where older gay men are thinking about or have chosen to retire. I could be 15+ years away from ultimate retirement, but thinking I want to start 'trying out' some locations....Airbnb visits....then possibly buy a small home.... try before I ultimately make the decision.

-Liberal

-Not a huge city

-I do like the mountains

-College town

Any suggestions?

Have you thought about getting out of the country?

Maybe this area (there are other subdivisions nearby too).

Real pine trees and winter snow.

Paste the following into Google Earth Search:

36 15’25.15”N 115 37’57.43”W

Ski resort about 30 minutes to the northwest.

“The Strip” about 50 minutes to the southeast.

7400ft altitude - so it’s typically about 20F cooler than “The Strip”.

Chains and / or AWD often required for access in the winter.

There’s a Resort nearby that you could stay for a few days to check out the area:

https://retreatoncharlestonpeak.com

A few thoughts....college towns often are relatively isolated and you will be neither town nor gown which may be isolating. Also, if you want to socialize with gay people, it will be a small world of people who are happy to live in a rather isolated place. You also have decide what there is to do there...if you're not interested in sports and the school doesn't have much in the way of music or theater programs, there isn't going to be much to do/see. Some college towns like Boulder are quite expensive. Eugene seems to have had its day and passed. Austin is a sprawlburg well past its prime.

Are you going to try to get involved in the community? What kinds of things do you want to be doing? I have several neighbors and acquaintances who live in Rehoboth where there's enough of a gay community to have gay activities. It also means interacting with the same people all the time and it's also in a place miles from specialty care for health problems. One of my former neighbors regularly makes trips to DC for health care--3 tedious hours each way in low traffic.

Have been to Asheville several times....twice this year. One time, it was filled with traffic and tourists and the other time it was dead...neither seemed very attractive. You're also a long way from anywhere else. Again small social circles and I'd think twice about health care. My friends who are retiring there have had a weekend place for years there and one of them has a mother in a nursing home with a sister nearby--in other words they are integrated into the pace. Another friend considered it but health care needs nixed it. Other than outdoor stuff there isn't a lot to do in terms of easy weekend stuff---it's a pain to go to Atlanta which is...Atlanta, after all and the other side of the Smokies is Knoxville and tourist traps. I've generally tried live some place where I can take some varied weekend trips and have a change of scenery.

Sante Fe is expensive. I know people who've retired to Taos, as an alternative but it sounds like a place with small social circles which are initially interesting and varied but later a bit constricting.

Cheap places can be a natter of you get what you pay for. My former brother in law lasted a year in Columbia, SC which made some 10 best places to retire list. It has a state capital and a flagship university, but it also doesn't have much to do.

Foreign places raise a number of questions---some countries make it difficult to be year round residents (Brazil comes to mind), health care is a consideration although places like Thailand have people boarded in the US and UK. A lot of people like Coats Rica. The problem with foreign places is that the expat communities, even in big places like Bangkok, are small and can be cliqueish. I considered doing at least part of my retirement in thailand but as time has passed, I know fewer and fewer people and it seems less and less attractive.

You really need to spend time in a place and spend it like a local, not a tourist. You also really need to walk through how you would establish yourself and spend your time. I have relatives in DC who have had a cabin in Pennsylvania near State College for ages. They considered State College for retirement until they realized that some place that's ok in the summer when the students aren't there for a Home Depot or Wegman's trip isn't the same as State College during the school year the world there was going to seem small in ways they could do without. They retired in place in DC and seem very happy with the choice.

admittedly, I'm not an Easterner, but just trying to think of places that meet all the stuff on your list, I come up with......

-Not a huge city: 70K population, but right next to Chicago in case you decide you need a huge city for a day

-Don't think I want heat/beach: It's always cooler near the lake. Oh, wait - there's that beach thing. Live west of the L tracks and you'll never see the water. Trust me.

-I do like the mountains: Sorry, no mountains but there is that hill right off Ridge Blvd

Being a native Chicago/suburbs boy I love the bit around Ridge Avenue in Evanston. Don't forget Mt. Trashmore!

Jon

Being a native Chicago/suburbs boy I love the bit around Ridge Avenue in Evanston. Don't forget Mt. Trashmore!

Jon

I meant the quote ABOUT Ridge Avenue in Evanston. It's true. And I can second that Evanston is quite diverse, lots of good restaurants, shopping and cultural activities right in town.

-Liberal

-Not a huge city

-I do like the mountains

-College town

Any suggestions?

Denver, State college in pa, Austin Texas

Checking in...

First... thank you to everyone who took time to respond. As always, this community has really provided much needed support for someone who doesn't have it 'in the real world'.

I've spent years being depressed about single. I always thought I would retire to somewhere with a partner. I have decided I need to potentially get comfortable with the fact I may never be partnered, so I'm trying to sample what that life could be like.

I don't know what I will do in the community I ultimately settle down in. I'm a loner right now who has focused years on trying to maximize my 'earning years'. I thought sampling a social life in a few places now may be a good idea.

I don't own a home and only have $650k saved... I'm starting to panic that I won't nearly have enough saved to live in a major city, so I'm thinking mid or small town. Many of you bring up valid concerns, I may end up miserable and alone and stuck in a small town with no theater, museums, shopping, etc. but I'm worried I will run out of money in a 'metro gay mecca'.

I'm contemplating leaving this job a year and a half from now after I get my full 5 year vest and last big bonus. I may not find a job with equal income or equity. I've always wanted to try to work for a start-up for a few years then maybe head back to school and teach at some small college until I actually retire, hence my interest in college towns.

The holidays will afford me some time to think. I will continue to look for advice here. Thank you again.

Jon

I lived in the Ridge Historic District for several years and loved it! My place was east of Ridge, near Dempster and Maple.