Quotes from literature (or other sources)

loremipsum
This topic is 777 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On ocean cruises:

“Jail with the option of drowning.”

-Sir Billy Connolly

A little older than that, at least the sentiment is.

'No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company.'

Samuel Johnson

“People think I’m in the closet. People think I’m out of the closet. People think I’m straight. People think I’m gay. Whatever you want to believe is fine with me.” ~ Andre Aciman, Rain Magazine interview, 4-2-2020

Edited by E.T.Bass

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”

-Mark Twain

There's speculation that may've been what killed Chris McCandless, the guy who died living in the wild in Alaska, the movie "Into the Wild" is about him. He had a book about native plants but may have mis-read it or the book had an error, and he ate toxic berries.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,

The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,

I know of no reason

Why the Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.

I would have expected Guy Fawkes to post this quote. (I still remember kids in London asking, "A penny for the Guy!")

I would have expected Guy Fawkes to post this quote. (I still remember kids in London asking, "A penny for the Guy!")

Indeed, but it's 5 Nov here earlier than in Nevada (although I posted this late in the evening of the day). I did add, 'A penny for the Guy', when I tweeted it. I usually remember to post this every year.