Quotes from literature (or other sources)

loremipsum
This topic is 768 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What are some of your favorites? I’m partial to a great many — some of mine are:

“The wicked envy and hate; it is their way of admiring.” -Victor Hugo

“No man made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do little.” -Edmund Burke

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -J.K. Rowling by way of Albus Dumbledore

“Fas est et ab hoste doceri.” (Right it is to be taught by an enemy/a wise man may seek good counsel even from a foe.) -Ovid

Though not great quotes of literature, two recent favorites, of reminiscing while trying not to suffer regret.

he was more me than I had ever been myself, because when he became me and I became him in bed so many years ago, he was and would forever remain, long after every forked road in life had done its work, my brother, my friend, my father, my son, my husband, my lover, myself.

&

but we had crossed to the other bank, where time stops and heaven reaches down to earth and gives us that ration of what is from birth divinely ours

Andre Aciman, Call Me by Your Name

Just about anything by Dorothy Parker or Oscar Wilde. I've got a book called "The Portable Curmudgeon" which is mostly curmudgeonly quotes arranged by topic, interspersed with mini biographies of said curmudgeons.

“This is not a book that should just be tossed aside — it should be thrown with great force.” ?

nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus

we can endure neither our vices nor their remedies.

I apply to the state of our country with so many self inflicted wounds: racism, debt (personal and national), gun violence, culture of rape in our colleges, obesity, hypocrisy, etc.

Edited by marylander1940

“From whence shall we expect the approach of danger? Shall some trans-Atlantic military giant step the earth and crush us at a blow? Never. All the armies of Europe and Asia...could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years. No, if destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.”

Abraham Lincoln

I'll post it on the gun control thread after the next shooting. This is the Republican excuse, you can't prevent everything therefore why bother.

These days I typically apply the quote to workouts; if I’m too weary to complete a “full” workout, feeling I won’t be able to dive into it with adequate alacrity, I figure “Might as well wait till tomorrow.” It’s a case of the “all-or-nothing” cognitive distortion, as they say.

These days I typically apply the quote to workouts; if I’m too weary to complete a “full” workout, feeling I won’t be able to dive into it with adequate alacrity, I figure “Might as well wait till tomorrow.” It’s a case of the “all-or-nothing” cognitive distortion, as they say.

When I'm in a hotel I always think doing a few exercises according to what kind of equipment it's available is always better then doing nothing. Going to the pool after is always a treat!

“Don't attach yourself to anyone who shows you the least bit of attention because you're lonely. Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is to know yourself, know what you want, and not let the cattle stand in the way.”

-Janet Fitch

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.

What a piece of work is man!

The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven.

Can you match each quote with the work without Googling? So many of his lines heard so often can seem trite.

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.

What a piece of work is man!

The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven.

Can you match each quote with the work without Googling? So many of his lines heard so often can seem trite.

I don’t know the third one. But the first is from Romeo and Juliet — I think most people at least vaguely know it or have heard of it: “...so Romeo would, were he not Romeo called.”

Fun fact: In the scene when Juliet says “Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?” most people interpret it as “Where are you, Romeo?” However, “wherefore” means “for what reason/why.” He is a Montague, and she is a Capulet — the surnames of two warring families. She is asking “WHY do you have to be Romeo (a man from a hostile clan with whom I could never legitimately associate)?”

The second is from Hamlet, the Shakespeare play which houses my favorite Shakespearean quotes — good ones in it are plentiful.

Just about anything from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - originally a radio serial, then a book/BBC-TV series, then a record, then a stage play, then a video game, then a movie... I have two of them framed, the one about Zaphod & stupidity (because it reminded me of a co-worker), the other about "The Universe (and some information to help you live in it)", most of it is footnotes.

One of the major difficulties Trillian experienced in her relationship with Zaphod was learning to distinguish between him pretending to be stupid just to get people off their guard, pretending to be stupid because he couldn't be bothered to think and wanted someone else to do it for him, pretending to be outrageously stupid to hide the fact that he actually didn’t understand what was going on, and really being genuinely stupid. He was renowned for being amazingly clever and quite clearly was so—but not all the time, which obviously worried him, hence, the act. He preferred people to be puzzled rather than contemptuous. This above all appeared to Trillian to be genuinely stupid, but she could no longer be bothered to argue about it.

Doing the footnotes justice is beyond my editing skills, but here's a page with that quote. http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/tomsnyder/hg-2-19.html

The first is Romeo and Juliet, the last is The Merchant of Venice. I am drawing a blank on the middle one, except that the song from Hair! that starts with that line keeps running through my brain.

The middle one is from the work with perhaps his most famous quotes.

The middle one is from the work with perhaps his most famous quotes.

“A custom more honored in the breach than the observance” is one I’m still trying to work into everyday conversation.

Same for “To the manner born.” First time I heard it, before The Prince of Denmark, was in the film “The Talented Mr. Ripley” (it was said by Gwyneth Paltrow). (I was actually able to use this one with a client I deemed to be from a patrician background — all signs pointed to it — but he then informed me that he had built himself “from the ground up.”)