Quotes from literature (or other sources)

loremipsum
This topic is 773 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

She should have died hereafter;

There would have been a time for such a word.

— To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury

Signifying nothing.

— Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28)

Signs are taken for wonders. "We would see a sign!"

The word within a word, unable to speak a word,

Swaddled with darkness.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
President Calvin Coolidge was known for not being very talkative. A young woman sitting next to him at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her he quietly retorted, “You lose.”

Feeling a bit under the weather one Sunday, Mrs Coolidge sent silent Cal to church on his own. Upon return she asked Cal what the sermon was about. “Sin” he replied. “What did the preacher say about sin” she asked. Cal responded “He was agin it.

Somebody once asked a psychiatrist what was the difference between a neurotic and a psychotic. The psychiatrist replied that a neurotic thinks there are castles in the air and a psychotic lives in a castle in the air. The person asked the psychiatrist what he did for them. Oh he replied I collect the rent.

Somebody once asked a psychiatrist what was the difference between a neurotic and a psychotic. The psychiatrist replied that a neurotic thinks there are castles in the air and a psychotic lives in a castle in the air. The person asked the psychiatrist what he did for them. Oh he replied I collect the rent.

Comedian Rita Rudner had a riff on this. "You've heard that neurotics build dream castles in the air, and psychotics live in them? My mother cleans them."

Many years ago I was listening to Federal Parliament on the radio with then leader of the Labor Party Arthur Caldwell was making a speech. A political opponent was constantly interjecting and the Speaker finally called this member to order. To which Arthur Caldwell responded "Don't worry Mr Speaker, the honourable gentleman was born a fool and has been losing ground ever since.''

• 2 weeks later...