AMC Gremlin

VictorPowers
This topic is 1742 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Quirky fact about myself. I intend in the coming years to buy an AMC Gremlin :) I love old weird cars. My first ever car was a ‘74 VW Transporter.

If you want a car that will increase in value, hunt down an old Mercedes Benz. They are quirky but good looking. They are also becoming more popular and spare parts are actually not that hard to find. ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had two Renaults too, a 12 and a Fuego. They were both a delight to drive but the Fuego had an intermittent electrical problem that made the engine stop and not start, most annoying. For the last 20 years I've had two Citroëns.

I was one of the last GI’s deGaulle kicked out of France in 1967. I dreamed of rotating back to the US with one of the old Citroën gangster wagons with the wide running boards. Alas it was not to be. I ended up with a Simca Etoile that didn’t quite make it back. I ended up selling to a Turkish Gastarbeiter in Germany. Maybe he could get it to go more than 150 miles on less than a quart of oil.

I loved my two Renaults, especially the fuego.

I owned a Fuego for about six weeks, drove it for 3 days, had it towed 3 times. It spent the rest of that time in the shop.

It had trouble starting after sitting, such as overnight. It would grind and grind and grind, nothing. 10 minutes later it would start right up. The service dept. kept calling to tell me it was ready, but when I showed up and the attendant trotted out to the lot to retrieve it it wouldn't start.

It was a long, brutal saga but Virginia had JUST passed its first lemon law. The dealership ended up buying it back (admittedly partly to shut me up). At one point during the saga, the sales manager loaned me his demo (again, to shut me up). I had to have it towed back when it wouldn't start. LOL

For my 16th birthday we got this new 1965 Plymouth Barracuda (for a "family" car). ID said it was the 64th one made. It had push-button transmission! I so wish I had been able to keep that car. SO many memories. Crazy design up there with any Citroen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrFkmrYg9n1r8a2b6IMoZ4f_d8HxcztHEP3qzd3N3xvmdbQy9kKA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj8yf2fLI6ItBKzhwkPcfERAa6s1RZH3scP3PwFM4-EesVrgvS

We once fit eight people in one. Tight! It was high school.

When I was growing up we had a Hornet Sportabout wagon, which was a close relation to the Gremlin. It was the first new car my parents ever bought, and the choice came down to either the Hornet or a Gran Torino wagon. My mom thought the Gran Torino was too big, so they chose the more compact Hornet, which I suppose was a kind of counter-culture move for the time. Light blue with a brown striped vinyl interior. I drove it a few times once I got my drivers license and was surprised how fast it was, and that it was pretty fun to drive.

My best college buddy bought a Ford Pinto, before they pulled them off the market for exploding. A few years back on trips to Berlin and to Montenegro I became familiar with the Yugo and the Trabant, arguably the worst cars ever made. Only the Yugo was marketed in the US .(disasterously,) but everyone in the German Democratic Republic owned a Trabant--there was no other choice. In what was East Germany, they are still regarded with some affection.

I actually bought TWO Pintos; the second one was quite luxurious in my estimation--it had a sunroof and an FM radio! Ford had an "undisclosed" recall for an engine scuff (not even sure what that is!) on the second one and it was only disclosed after I complained vigorously; I thought Ford was being devious and I have never purchased a Ford product since.

My best college buddy bought a Ford Pinto, before they pulled them off the market for exploding. A few years back on trips to Berlin and to Montenegro I became familiar with the Yugo and the Trabant, arguably the worst cars ever made. Only the Yugo was marketed in the US .(disasterously,) but everyone in the German Democratic Republic owned a Trabant--there was no other choice. In what was East Germany, they are still regarded with some affection.

Trabants were also popular with young DDR-sympathizers in western Europe. I had an affair with a young Dutchman who had a Trabant, and the worst thing about riding in it was the exhaust smell inside. We drove once from Amsterdam to Groningen, and I was almost sick by the time we arrived.

My best college buddy bought a Ford Pinto, before they pulled them off the market for exploding.

My first 2 years of high school a neighbor girl gave me a ride to school every day in the back seat of her Pinto. Not sure I could even get into that seat today.

None of us knew that was the suicide seat back then.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you know that there was a Levi Edition of the Gremlin with an all denim interior? Puts a spin cycle on your new wheels doesn't it. https://www.heddels.com/2014/08/levis-amc-denim-gremlin-car-wore-pants/

I too question the copper button in the middle of the seat ...

Man, on a hot day in direct sun that copper button could leave marks in and uncomfortable place!