AMC Gremlin

VictorPowers
This topic is 1745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of quirky cars-my Avatar is mine. Citroen 2CV Beachcomber. One of the most unique & quirky cars ever built. Much like its owner! ;)

I remember being driven around in the Swiss Alps in a 2CV many years ago by a friend who was very upset and had been drinking; it had no seat belts, and I seriously considered trying to jump out.

I have friends who bought a Peugeot. The thing kept stopping mysteriously, Peugeuot claimed a fault with the anti theft system that required a factory reset and parts that took weeks to come from France. Each time it cost thousands of dollars and weeks of using rental cars and cabs.

I had a Pinto. I got one of the good engines but it was otherwise a rust bucket. Toward the end I could sit in the driver seat, look down and see the pavement.

I also had a Fiero that liked up to its name by burning to a cinder on the toll road one day.

• 1 month later...

Well the time has come. Mid August I found the Gremlin for me! 1970 6 cylinder automatic. The car was restored and looks to be in show car condition. I’m flying out to see it and if all goes well, I’ll be shipping it from the east coast to my home in UT. Wish me luck!

@RealAvalon Yes I’m aware of the Levi’s edition. Those ones are hard to come by and really rare. I’m not big enough of an enthusiast and collector to find one/restore one/pay the premium.

Well the time has come. Mid August I found the Gremlin for me! 1970 6 cylinder automatic. The car was restored and looks to be in show car condition. I’m flying out to see it and if all goes well, I’ll be shipping it from the east coast to my home in UT. Wish me luck!

@RealAvalon Yes I’m aware of the Levi’s edition. Those ones are hard to come by and really rare. I’m not big enough of an enthusiast and collector to find one/restore one/pay the premium.

Congratulations! I think you will have such fun with it!

The old car you always wish you hadn't sold, a great way to feel young again! For me it would be a 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner, in red with a four speed manual and black bench-seat interior. Traded it for a Ford pickup in 1983, had I stored it away would be worth six figures today. Or, a black 1979 Buick Skyhawk teardrop hatchback, Gawd I miss those cars!!

My friend bought a Delorean recently! I haven’t seen it yet

Out of curiosity, how does one service cars made by companies which no longer exist, such as DMC, AMC? Do spare parts have to be custom-made?

Out of curiosity, how does one service cars made by companies which no longer exist, such as DMC, AMC? Do spare parts have to be custom-made?

Valid question, there are numerous online companies that specialize in vintage automotive parts. Here’s one example:

https://www.kanter.com/index.aspx

In some instances, a classic car purchase may include a “parts car” Which are stripped down for parts as needed. A friend was recently looking at a 1950s Ford (I forget the model) and the seller was including a beaten up parts car as part of the purchase. He didn’t buy the car but gave it serious consideration due to the parts car bonus.

A friend of mine owns a DMC 12! I want to set up a race! Should be evenly matched!

There are quite a lot of Forums, pages and groups where fellow enthusiasts post sought after parts. Parts cars are all over and the good bits are sold off. Sometimes people wait years for their really specific parts that just cannot be remanufactured. Purists will only want original parts anyway.

Although Gremlin … its a terrible name for a car don't you think?

NOUN

informal

1. an imaginary mischievous sprite regarded as responsible for an unexplained problem or fault, especially a mechanical or electronic one.

Maybe so but the model of my next kick ass car!

• 4 weeks later...