AMC Gremlin

VictorPowers
This topic is 1745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gremlin and its equally bizarre looking contemporary the Pacer were notorious for their bad mechanics and general poor quality of ride and performance. As you are someone with a great ride and excellent performance, I would suggest you make another choice. But opposite attracts. I must admit though, that the Gremlin has a rather unique and fascinating rear end so you both have that in common.

@VictorPowers This article in Hagerty might interest you, the Gremlin is experiencing a resurgence among car collectors. I loved this little car when it was introduced in the 1970s. A high school buddy had one, ah the fond memories.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/19/amc-gremlin-gaining-collector-car-legitimacy

I have already read that. Did you watch the promotional video from the 70s putting down the Beetle?

I was one of the bankers who watched AMC tank because of the Gremlin.

One of the early warning signs of AMC’s demise came when visiting the headquarters north of Detroit and noticing that none of the cars parked along the fence surrounding the parking lot were AMC cars. Even employees with their discount were picking other brands.

I was one of the bankers who watched AMC tank because of the Gremlin.

One of the early warning signs of AMC’s demise came when visiting the headquarters north of Detroit and noticing that none of the cars parked along the fence surrounding the parking lot were AMC cars. Even employees with their discount were picking other brands.

When I was young, my folks bought a house near their HQ in Detroit. Often saw the new models being driven around the neighborhood before they hit the showrooms, including the Pacer wagon (yes, there was a wagon model that I thought was much better looking than the original version), and the Hornet hatchback (thought it was nice looking, especially with the optional mag type wheels).

A few years later, met people who worked at their HQ in Southfield, north of Detroit. At the time, some drove Renaults, which had a financial interest in AMC in the early 80's

My first new car was a '74 Gremlin. Green, base model with a vinyl bench seat, but it had automatic, and power steering, and the best feature was the 304 cubic inch V8. It moved. Get the X trim package.

family had purple with the denim nterior -- of course that was ater the pink on pink rambler station wagon with the column shift

I had an R10 and two R12s. The 10 was a wonderful little vehicle (it cost $1750 new), but the 12s were problematic. I was stuck for three days in rural Ohio one time, waiting for the arrival of a necessary part for repairs to the first one, and the entire manual floor shift in the other one came out in my hand while driving on a highway one afternoon.

I loved my two Renaults, especially the fuego.

I had two Renaults too, a 12 and a Fuego. They were both a delight to drive but the Fuego had an intermittent electrical problem that made the engine stop and not start, most annoying. For the last 20 years I've had two Citroëns.

I had two Renaults too, a 12 and a Fuego. They were both a delight to drive but the Fuego had an intermittent electrical problem that made the engine stop and not start, most annoying. For the last 20 years I've had two Citroëns.

My uncle had a Citroën GS from the 70s. I loved that car, especially the hydropneumatic suspension! It was so cool to watch the car “settle” when you turned it off and “pick up its skirt” when you switched it on. :)