Saying Sayonara To The Pacific Northwest

Gar1eth
This topic is 2256 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Myasthenia Gravis is classified as a rare disease. There are estimated to be only 60,000 to 100,000 people with it in the United States. I always knew I was special. I just didn’t know I was a 1 out of 60,000 to 100,000 special.

When I was diagnosed in October, it seemed like it was just going to be an annoyance that I would get used to. That’s still true, but the symptoms have become more onerous starting in December . I was hospitalized three weeks ago for five days of intravenous gamma globulin due to moderate problems eating. It was taking me three hours to finish a hamburger because my jaws were too weak to chew. And at least 50% of the time food would lodge at the back of my throat. I’d have to cough to try to get it so I could attempt chewing it again.

And then there’s been loss of hand strength, trouble talking, difficulty holding my head up, and multiple other symptoms that can change from day to day.

All isn’t hopeless. Before I was on therapy that was only directed at symptoms. The fact that the medication isn’t cutting it anymore means the myasthenia has progressed to the point that I need therapy that attacks the disease and doesn’t just try to ameliorate the symptoms while allowing the underlying disease to progress. Those are medications that decrease the immune system much like someone who has received an organ transplant. The first medication they usually try is high dose prednisone for at least 6 to 8 weeks-or longer if it continues causing further improvement after that. I’m on about day 12 of taking 60 mg of Prednisone. I’m not sure if it’s really done anything yet except give me two forehead zits (sorry if that was too TMI).

In any case I wasn’t working a lot before my diagnosis, these new symptoms combined with the hospitalization have made it pretty much impossible to work at all.

Hopefully in 6 to 8 weeks I’ll be much better from the prednisone. But whether I am or not, the time has come, as the Walrus is wont to say, to go back home to be with family in Texas. On one hand I’m sorry to leave the PNW. On the other hand my Mom is 83. She’s in pretty good health. But still, she’s 83. It used to really upset me to leave her after a visit. I also have 4-greats (great nieces and nephews) all under 6 years of age. One just turned two, and I’ve only seen her about three times. As Erma Bombeck once wrote, “Families, The Ties That Bind- And Gag. But in spite of the gagging to come, it is time for the prodigal Gman to return to the fold.

Sayonara PNW. I’ll miss you.

Dallas, place of my birth, I’m coming home.

Gman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God Bless you Gman, you've always been one of the good guys on here, and a true gentleman. Sorry to here you are leaving your loved PNW, but corny as it is to say, "For every door that closes, another one opens". Stay positive, and keep looking forward. Speaking for many of us here, you can always come and bend our ear.

I’m sorry to see you leaving and wish you the best in the move and with your new treatment.

Incidentally, I was just checking out the ads in Dallas and saw lots of folks visiting there from here (plus I believe that AndrewK is also in the midst of moving there), so if you get a hankering for a “taste” of the PNW, you’ll have lots of options ;)