Weight loss

Stormy
This topic is 2229 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost, very slowly too, about 30 pounds a couple of years ago. Began to walk every day, ate more protein, but very little red meat, hardly any sugar, egg whites, only one yolk, and tried to eat foods that were low on the glycemic index. Carbs are my worst enemy. Always have craved them. Found some whole wheat/grain pastas, gave up french fries, potato chips, or any form of potatoes. Two years later, skipped some days walking, occasionally would order fries with meal, or occasionally buy chips, and cook white pasta. Put back on about 15 pounds. You'll need to find a way to make eating habits a permanent change, not something temporary with the only goal to just to loose weight at this moment.

Just stick to a program, eat mindfully, drink a ton of water and be as active as you can be.

There's no quick fix for getting healthier. It's not just a lifestyle change, but a change in the mentality of why and how we eat.

Most people have very unhealthy relationships with food.

Slowly is good. Although everyone is different, generally, the slower it comes off, the most likely it is to stay off.

I started managing my weight last year using an intermittent fasting strategy that turned out to be so easy for me, if I had known about it, I would have done it a long time ago and not gotten so large.

Guest SimonL

"Eat for nutrition, not for pleasure." My doctor told me that and somehow that mantra has helped change my relationship with food. And little to no carbs, eating slowly, lots of water ... All good advice from others in this thread

i joined Weight Watchers and the pounds are coming off.....slowly. Anyone with interesting weight loss tips beside cutting off a leg? Your input would be appreciated. My goal is a 40 pound loss

I am down 68 pounds using Weight Watches. I have lost about a pound a week. It is about changing habits and reducing your sugar intake as a way of life. The bottom line is carbs. Even on weight watches, you have to do your best to limit carbs. My doctor says carbs kill. It is not easy. It is away of life.

I am down 68 pounds using Weight Watches. I have lost about a pound a week. It is about changing habits and reducing your sugar intake as a way of life. The bottom line is carbs. Even on weight watches, you have to do your best to limit carbs. My doctor says carbs kill. It is not easy. It is away of life.

Congrats! I am down 9 pounds in 5 weeks really wanted faster weight loss. But they say I'm doing well

eat mindfully

This sums up so much. My life spun out of control when my partner died 20 years ago and I gained 80 pounds. I spent years mired in mindless eating until I took control back a little over 10 years ago. It took about a year of actual dieting and counting every calorie to get back to "normal," but I have kept it off through mindful eating and figuring out what works for me. That's going to be different things for different people.

What works for me is:

1. Nothing is off limits. The minute I tell myself I will never eat another french fry is the minute I will start obsessing about them. I have a cheat day each week where I don't go crazy but I will eat those damn french fries if that's what I've been craving. The rest of the week is mindful and always having a general idea about the amount of calories consumed.

2. I developed a "good enough" philosophy when it comes to food. Fried chicken is delicious but a roasted chicken breast is good enough. A baked potato with all the fixings is delicious, but a baked potato with a little butter and a little sour cream and a lot of pepper is good enough. A big rich dessert is delicious, but a square of dark chocolate slowly melting in your mouth is good enough. Etc, etc.

3. This is counter to what a lot of people suggest when dieting, and may be more appropriate in a maintenance phase, but I weigh myself every single day. I know my body and I know that my weight will fluctuate a couple pounds up or down, but I know that anything more than that means I am being too lax and I nip that in the bud. A couple days of being extra mindful about what I'm eating will get me back on point.

This sums up so much. My life spun out of control when my partner died 20 years ago and I gained 80 pounds. I spent years mired in mindless eating until I took control back a little over 10 years ago. It took about a year of actual dieting and counting every calorie to get back to "normal," but I have kept it off through mindful eating and figuring out what works for me. That's going to be different things for different people.

What works for me is:

1. Nothing is off limits. The minute I tell myself I will never eat another french fry is the minute I will start obsessing about them. I have a cheat day each week where I don't go crazy but I will eat those damn french fries if that's what I've been craving. The rest of the week is mindful and always having a general idea about the amount of calories consumed.

2. I developed a "good enough" philosophy when it comes to food. Fried chicken is delicious but a roasted chicken breast is good enough. A baked potato with all the fixings is delicious, but a baked potato with a little butter and a little sour cream and a lot of pepper is good enough. A big rich dessert is delicious, but a square of dark chocolate slowly melting in your mouth is good enough. Etc, etc.

3. This is counter to what a lot of people suggest when dieting, and may be more appropriate in a maintenance phase, but I weigh myself every single day. I know my body and I know that my weight will fluctuate a couple pounds up or down, but I know that anything more than that means I am being too lax and I nip that in the bud. A couple days of being extra mindful about what I'm eating will get me back on point.

Excellent!!

I lost about 20 lbs recently and @MikeyGMin Is right on.

I also found that apples can be your best friend. 1-2 apples plus a small steak or chicken or fish for lunch/dinner is great. Green, red, whatever different kind - eat them all.

Intermittent Fasting - there are various methods - it focuses not on what you eat as when you eat. The one I like is the Eat-Stop-Eat ----> fasting from dinner one day, to dinner the next, basically a 24-hour fast. I do it once a week.

I-F is not only good for losing weight but has been shown to improve overall body metabolism. There's lots of info online about fasting.

I also walk on the treadmill 3 miles a day - or in the park during nice weather.

I lost, very slowly too, about 30 pounds a couple of years ago. Began to walk every day, ate more protein, but very little red meat, hardly any sugar, egg whites, only one yolk, and tried to eat foods that were low on the glycemic index. Carbs are my worst enemy. Always have craved them. Found some whole wheat/grain pastas, gave up french fries, potato chips, or any form of potatoes. Two years later, skipped some days walking, occasionally would order fries with meal, or occasionally buy chips, and cook white pasta. Put back on about 15 pounds. You'll need to find a way to make eating habits a permanent change, not something temporary with the only goal to just to loose weight at this moment.

Agree with everything but the egg whites. Studies have shown (like how vague that is?) that it is better to eat the whole egg than just the whites.

5 years ago I was obese and my general health was very bad. After a major weight-related health care, I made eating well my first priority, sleeping enough my second priority and moderate exercise my third priority. Today I am more fit than ever. I'm in my 50's and have been told that I have the body of a 25 year old. I was fortunate to have lost the weight slowly and sensibly enough to not have any excess skin hanging around. I had to be patient - I lost the weight in stages over the course of 2 years, and continue to sculpt my frame.

Think of it this way - eating is the most important thing that you will do today and everyday. It makes sense to plan your meals. Know what you're going to eat for your next meal before you finish your last meal. If you know how to cook, great. If you don't know how to cook, learn. Don't rely on prepared foods, most of which are high in sodium, fat and preservatives. Simple foods are all you need at first (poached chicken, baked fish, grilled steaks, plus salads and healthy soups) until you develop your skills. Keep healthy snacks on hand and have scheduled times to eat them. There's a lot more, but know that you CAN do it. Visualize yourself in shape and you can get there.

One thing few speak about is the psychological difficulties you might encounter on the way down. The crap in your gut can send negative messages to your brain "You'll never do this," and "Feed me," are two frequent messages you'll get. Hold on to your vision and drink water when you get cravings.

If you're on a lot of meds for weight-related conditions, find a doctor who will help you wean yourself off of the meds. If your doctor doesn't get that the meds are not helping you long term, get a new doctor.

One last side benefit - hard body usually means bigger, harder dicks! Just something to think about.

We can all be our best selves!

About four years ago I had a health scare. I had some minor surgery and wasn't hungry so I was eating only soup for a few days. When I went for the post-op I had lost ten pounds. That night I had a salad for dinner and haven't looked back. Once I recovered from the surgery a friend set me up with a trainer at a gym (I had never been in a gym in my life). The end result? I lost 90 pounds in eight months and was able to wean off all medications.

I now workout every day, am careful about my meals, and have never felt better. I eat carefully, with breakfast and lunch being the same every day except for an occasional treat, and dinner is a huge salad with some protein. It probably helps that I love to cook and also have acid reflux which limits choices. I also drink two quarts of water every day to flush my system.

I am convinced that diet is most of the struggle. When I get sloppy I gain weight, although the constant exercise limits the damage. A support system also helps. I lost mine recently, and I'm struggling a little to find a new one, but the health benefits are too important to ignore the risks.

Keep at it, find what works, and persevere. It's worth it.

It’s wonderful to read about all your successes! I’ve been a fitness obsessed person for most of my life, but about 15 years ago I really started into the paleo world and the results have been superb. I’m also an O blood type, so protein is my friend. All of my ratios are optimal and I’ve lost all cravings for sweets and most carbs. You can find gluten-free pizza for cheat days. I haven’t had a bagel or “enriched wheat” products in years. Only in Europe will I touch bread, since they are using ancient grains and are non-GMO.

You do need the yolks, btw. A great breakfast for me consists of two scrambled eggs, an avocado and a few dollops of salsa.

I’m very interested in the intermittent fasting idea, mainly for the metabolic benefits.

Cody, you’re dead on about the juices and sodas. Diet soda is particularly harmful. And a glass of orange juice is a sugar and calorie bomb. Get in the habit of drinking a liter of water first thing in the morning for immediate hydration and satiation.

I'm down 30 pounds been 2 years on weight watchers, the new free style program is really working for me, I've been down a pound a week.

Tracking for me is key, cutting carbs, portion size.

My downfall has been trying to cut down on alcohol, my partner is a great help, very supportive.

Keep up the good work.

Intermittent Fasting - there are various methods - it focuses not on what you eat as when you eat. The one I like is the Eat-Stop-Eat ----> fasting from dinner one day, to dinner the next, basically a 24-hour fast. I do it once a week.

I-F is not only good for losing weight but has been shown to improve overall body metabolism. There's lots of info online about fasting.

I also walk on the treadmill 3 miles a day - or in the park during nice weather.

I do a weekly isagenix cleanse not just for weight loss but to cleanse my system.

http://www.isagenixhealth.net/why-cleansing-with-isagenix-works/

A few years back, when I was in my mid40s, I made some significant "lifestyle changes" and dropped about 75 pounds over about a year.

It's been almost 4 years and most of that weight has stayed off. My strategy stayed pretty simple -- eat less, move more -- and, for that first year especially, I was vigilant with the food tracking and daily movement goals. (My movement goals were also simple -- hit the daily stepcount no matter what and engage one hour of "exertion," either strength training with my trainer or a group fitness class, either on video or in person.) I also stopped weighing myself daily and instead only checked when I felt like I needed to. Things have shifted over the years, and I no longer track calories (mostly just pay attention to balance of macros) but I still pay close attention to what I eat and have a structured/supervised near-daily activity regimen.

The hardest part for me probably came at about the 9-10 month mark, when the pounds STOPPED melting away. I had become accustomed to the "reward" of dropping 1-2 pounds a week, so, when that slowed (or, rather, came to a grinding halt), I found it challenging to sustain the discipline. Fitness plateaus are tough. But I stayed on task and thanks to my newly-discovered commitment to strength training I began to discover other measures of whether I was on track or not. I'm by no means done, as it's a lifelong thing I think, and I've still got a few sizable stubborn spots of residual flab, which may be mine forever -- but I'm very glad I made the commitment to make that "lifestyle change"...

BTW: when I started this journey, I deleted my WW subscription (which I had maintained off and on for nearly a decade) and switched to LoseIt for tracking, which I found very clarifying. Some of those old WW tricks do come in handy -- yay dill pickles -- but I've found the macro-nutrient approach as simple and even more portable than "points"...

Just stick to a program, eat mindfully, drink a ton of water and be as active as you can be.

There's no quick fix for getting healthier. It's not just a lifestyle change, but a change in the mentality of why and how we eat.

Most people have very unhealthy relationships with food.

It helps to learn to see food as fuel and to learn that you don't have to reward yourself with a sensual experience every time you eat.

I'm down 30 pounds been 2 years on weight watchers, the new free style program is really working for me, I've been down a pound a week.

Tracking for me is key, cutting carbs, portion size.

My downfall has been trying to cut down on alcohol, my partner is a great help, very supportive.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the support, you as well. I started at about 337. I am hoping to be blow 250 in the next year or so. I joined the YMCA as well and do weekly classes. This has helped as well.