Do You Like Avocados?

Avalon
This topic is 1765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am just this very moment eating healthy toast with an avocado (very lightly mashed)/cilantro/lime/salt topping.....with turkey bacon and scrambled egg whites mixed with onion, tomato, bell pepper, feta, and dill, it makes a very healthy meal (fats, protein, carbs)......hitting the gym in a bit!.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVLdH5dt-c

I love sliced avocado, as long as it isn't too mushy. But I also like guacamole.

Typically, I smash up the avocado when I make my toast. To your point, a mushy avocado is overripe and no one wants to eat an overripe avocado.

I love avocados! Yes, lots of fat, but your system does need some fat, and avocados provide good heart-healthy fat. One of my favorites is avocado ice cream, which has been popular among Filipinos for decades. With the recent avocado craze, avocado ice cream is starting to be a "thing" in foodie circles. I gotta think that putting avocado in ice cream counters whatever health benefits of the avocado. Hey, I never said I ate it for my health; I just love the taste.

http://www.flyingfourchette.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Avocado-Ice-Cream-9.jpg

I love avocados. Millennials not being able to afford to buy a house because they spend too much on smashed avos on toast in cafes has been a feature of the national conversation here for several years now. I'm a leftist, so back to ME, avocados on toast with black pepper and a splash of balsamic or cider vinegar is a delight. I eat more salads when I'm at my sister's house, and hers are often the more substantial for having diced avocados, feta cheese and olives in them. The little bit of liquid in them from the feta and the olives and the final bits of avocado flesh that you scrape off the skin means you don't really need a dressing on the salad.

TRIVIA: avocado is an original fruit from Mexico. The Spanish word for avocado, aguacate, comes from the Aztec ahuacatl, which means testicle, “probably because of the likeness of the fruit and that body part, and because they grow in pairs hanging from the tree”.

Hehehehehe! Thanks!

Most of us who were born and raised in California are big fans of avocados AND artichokes. I love them both.

California avocados are nowadays virtually a thing of the past. Many of the ideal growing regions in the state have been developed. Where groves of avocados once predominated now track houses march endlessly to the horizon. Most avocados are now imported from Mexico. Recently there has a been a shortage as many of the Mexican farmers are being blackmailed by cartel members. It is a truism that, here in California, some of the best agriculture land in the world has been covered with urban sprawl.

In the past most California artichokes were grown in Castroville in the north central part of the state. However, about five years ago a new variety was developed that grows well in the arid regions of the state and produces several crops a year -- unfortunately they are virtually tasteless. Reminds me of the tomato saga -- tough skins so they can be picked by machine but virtually tasteless.

Edited by Epigonos