Know anyone who has had weight loss surgery?

FreshFluff
This topic is 1771 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister had it done - twice. While she has no regrets, she had it done the first time and lost weight. After three years of stable weight, she decided she wanted to be a mother. About two years after giving birth, she started gaining weight. The doctor discovered that the original band was broken. she had the same procedure done again and her weight dropped to a lower weight than after the first time.

She will admit that she often misjudges how much she can eat during holidays dining, and then needs to lie down. Again, no regrets, but not without some tough moments even 15+ years after then first surgery.

Mo Mason, you definitely wouldn't qualify. Minimum BMI to get insurance coverage is 40. Most people are happy with the results but some regret it because of the side effects.

Sam.Fitzpatrick, glad it worked out for your sister even though she needed a second surgery. The problem she described is exactly what I'd be concerned about.

BTW, I'm not having this done myself but someone I know is. I totally support the decision. I'm worried about the lifestyle change, but I hope it works out great.

Edited by FreshFluff

i knew one coworker who had the lap band. He refused to moderate his portion sizes and kept bursting the band. After 5 or 6 times of this and getting surgery to replace it, work changed the coverage, only 1 time per life.

my best friend got gastric bypass. she loves it. she lost alot of weight, goes to the gym regularly.. she does watch how much she eats and also what she eats. she doesnt drink any carbonated stuff. she cant load on carbs, itll make you sick.

Why would anyone regret that? I only wish I could have it done... but apparently 20 pounds overweight isn't enough to warrant surgery. I dunno.. I would have had liposuction when I was 160 pounds if they'd have let me.

Why would anyone regret it? Especially the traditional roux-en-y surgery disrupts your natural anatomy, is associated with a large number of side effects, some of which can be life long problems and weight loss, while initially quite good, is frequently less in amount and shorter in duration than one thinks going in. I have had numerous patients with blind loop syndrome, marginal ulcerations, stoma stenosis, rapid transit, intractable iron deficiency and B12 deficiency. Recurrent abdominal pain with pancreatitis. That is not to say that there aren't success stories of uneventful recovery with long term weight loss. But ultimately, if you are expecting a non weight gaining free lunch, do not be surprised if there is a big bill at the end.

The gastric sleeve and other gastric size limitation procedures have fewer side effects and in general do not generate the same weight loss that the diverting procedures do.

Best advice, if you are having other medical problems associated with morbid obesity and you have had failure with other weight loss methods, then carefully consider the surgical option. If you think it is a quick fix, you may find yourself in a fix that lasts a lifetime.

The gastric sleeve and other gastric size limitation procedures have fewer side effects and in general do not generate the same weight loss that the diverting procedures do.

Best advice, if you are having other medical problems associated with morbid obesity and you have had failure with other weight loss methods, then carefully consider the surgical option. If you think it is a quick fix, you may find yourself in a fix that lasts a lifetime.

The gastric sleeve produces a significant weight loss (20% of base weight, I think), but unlike the lap band, it is irreversible.

Why would anyone regret it? Especially the traditional roux-en-y surgery disrupts your natural anatomy, is associated with a large number of side effects, some of which can be life long problems and weight loss, while initially quite good, is frequently less in amount and shorter in duration than one thinks going in. I have had numerous patients with blind loop syndrome, marginal ulcerations, stoma stenosis, rapid transit, intractable iron deficiency and B12 deficiency. Recurrent abdominal pain with pancreatitis. That is not to say that there aren't success stories of uneventful recovery with long term weight loss. But ultimately, if you are expecting a non weight gaining free lunch, do not be surprised if there is a big bill at the end.

I had RNY in 2010 and loss about 150 lbs. Have had no side effects and NO regrets over the surgery. I keep up on my labs to make sure there are no problems post-surgery.

Have relatives that went with gastric sleeve but while their results have been good results but less than mine.

Totally agree that this is not a "quick fix" that should be undertaken lightly. This is serious surgery that can have long-term consequences.

What about the alternative of doing nothing and having a heart attack, diabetes or a sedentary life?

What about the alternative of doing nothing and having a heart attack, diabetes or a sedentary life?

All true and the same arguments I've used with my friend for years, but unfortunately for a lot of people over eating is just another addiction that most of us don't understand. After considering the surgery for over a year, she is about to pull the trigger, but it does come with risks. For her it is emotional and I feel that unless she finds out why she is overeating in the first place, changing her behavior may not be successful.

It's sad watching the quality of someones life deteriorate. I've known some successes, but there are failures too.

Edited by bigvalboy

All true and the same arguments I've used with my friend for years, but unfortunately for a lot of people, over eating is just another addiction that most of us don't understand. After considering the surgery for over a year, she is about to pull the trigger, but it does come with risks. For her it is emotional and I feel that unless she finds out why she is overeating in the first place, changing her behavior may not be successful.

Not sure there is a rational why. I think some people are just less easily satiated than others. For now, I eat pretty much whatever I want and have been happy with my weight. I don't know what I'll do if/when I have to choose between enjoying myself and looking good. (That said, I'm hardly the skinniest girl around here, but that look doesn't work for me anyway.)

I had RNY in 2010 and loss about 150 lbs. Have had no side effects and NO regrets over the surgery. I keep up on my labs to make sure there are no problems post-surgery.

Have relatives that went with gastric sleeve but while their results have been good results but less than mine.

Totally agree that this is not a "quick fix" that should be undertaken lightly. This is serious surgery that can have long-term consequences.

+1 here, RNY in 2009. Down 117#, also keep up on labs (man they draw a lot of blood!), light exercise, surgeon calls me "poster boy" for gastric bypass surgery.

A coworker died due to infection after weight loss surgery (not sure if if was a gastric sleeve or something else). Another coworker nearly died following her surgery, but she pulled through. She lost some weight but not that much. Another coworker lost a lot of weight and has kept it off, but given that her breath smells like an open sewer a lot of the time I suspect her weight maintenance plan involves purging.

I think that surgery for weight loss makes sense for people who are severely obese who want it, but the coworker who died wasn't even that heavy. She was heavy, but it isn't like she weighed twice as much as she should have. I was shocked when I heard she had the surgery because, prior to then, I had no idea that a doctor would perform such a risky operation on someone who was only moderately overweight.

My partner had bariatric surgery (sleeve). Counselling was part of the process. Weight loss isn't just because of overeating. Often ridding oneself of one sort of addiction means substituting it with another addiction. Very often people lose the weight but regain it because they reduce food intake but substitute it with alcohol consumption. For anyone thinking about weight loss surgery check out a forum called Obesity Help.

After two years of working hard (and UNsuccessfully) to lose weight, A friend (older than I am) was told by her Dr. to try Whole30 -- https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/ - that she would lose weight even with her 24 medications. She lost 20# in 30 days.

SO! I started Whole30 on June 26th -- 30 days of faithfully NOT violating the eating program!

4 days of withdrawal HELL -- expected as I have dieted before -- then two weeks of thinking about the foods I would bring back after 30 days!!! By the time 30 days was up, my body was reprogrammed! AMAZING!

I would try things like pizza & ice cream -- enjoy the treat and say "Nope, I don't need that"

I lost 20# in the 30 days and and now down 33# since June 26th -- feeling great, BP & Glucose much better.

I recently posted:

"I have found my body's response to food to be so interesting since I started Whole30 on June 26th!

The concept is 30 days w/o straying! and then to slowly bring back and try food you have eliminated.

I have found that my body wants to stay on Whole30!

As you know from my posts, this weekend I had some non-Whole30 foods/treats that I did enjoy - I just don't enjoy enough to bring back on a regular basis!

2 weekends a month and events outside my space w/ friends is ample ad even then I do not go crazy.

This morning, it felt so good to just be back to Whole30 eating.

Everyone reacts differently - I only share my journey as an example - it worked/works for me!!!

33 pounds gone! That feels good too!"

Whole30 is simple and very basic! I have brought corn on the cob back (local seasonal) and use ghee rather than butter and I enjoy crumbly bleu on my salads! Almond butter has replaced peanut butter (legume)

I am most content with a Whole30 plate of food! where I save half the salad for breakfast!

I know a lot who have had the band and the sleeve.

A very small minority have succeeded and kept it off.

Most still eat bad and eventually stretch it .

One had a faulty band and had to be opened up again to have it replaced. She did lose about 70 kilos, then paid $20K for surgery to remove all the loose skin, 16 weeks off work and lots of pain. She looks good, but the d

Sad thing is her husband is still sleeping wi her mistress.

I have had a virtual band. (hypnosis) and that is working.

My partner had bariatric surgery (sleeve). Counselling was part of the process. Weight loss isn't just because of overeating. Often ridding oneself of one sort of addiction means substituting it with another addiction. Very often people lose the weight but regain it because they reduce food intake but substitute it with alcohol consumption. For anyone thinking about weight loss surgery check out a forum called Obesity Help.

Picking up another addiction can be an issue. Also, many patient's (I'm being specific to bypass surgery here) palate changes in the months/years after surgery. Some lose a taste for red meat, sugar, carbs - and/or vice-versa to the same! Hard to predict.

My surgeon had performed 3500 procedures prior to mine. He had developed a very strict pre-surgery protocol that included mandatory multiple group sessions with other pre/post bypass patients, psychologist visit, dietician consult, a raft of medical tests including treadmill stress test, barium radiography, bloodwork, etc. I signed a "contract" outlining my post-surgery followup exercise program, more group sessions, annual visits for five years, etc.

It's not a simple decision, nor a quick cure. As a patient you are sometimes mocked as having taken the "easy" way or "shortcut" to weight loss. It's not simple to keep,the weight off. Yes, there are post-surgical horror stories (as with any required or elective surgery). I'm one of 4 close relatives/friends who did the RNY or similar, I'm the only one to keep 100% of my weight off, 8 years for me now.

It was a massive positive game changer in my life, but it's not a quickie cure all.

Not sure there is a rational why. I think some people are just less easily satiated than others. For now, I eat pretty much whatever I want and have been happy with my weight. I don't know what I'll do if/when I have to choose between enjoying myself and looking good. (That said, I'm hardly the skinniest girl around here, but that look doesn't work for me anyway.)

is not about just "looking good" (whatever that means) for some folks is about being able to walk 1 block, or getting in and out of an uber without making an effort.