IDIOTIC WAYS TO DIE

samhexum

On 10/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, samhexum said:

A 34-year-old Ohio man fell to his death from his hotel room balcony in South Carolina during Hurricane Ian while he was trying to perform a handstand.

Markell Hope, of Akron, was staying at the Patricia Grand Hotel in Myrtle Beach when he attempted the stunt about 3:30 p.m. Sept. 30, as the storm was passing through, Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard told WYFF.

He fell 15 floors to his death, officials said.

I don't know what's more idiotic-- doing a handstand on a balcony during a hurricane, or vacationing in South Carolina.

One more reason why Myrtle Beach needs to be wiped off the planet. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, samhexum said:

Man found dead in Jeep that crashed on collapsed bridge

The North Carolina State Highway Patrol found a 2020 Jeep Gladiator upside down and partially submerged in the water where the road was washed out. 

Troopers said barricades that were put up to warn drivers of the collapsed bridge were apparently removed, leading to the crash.

The driver, identified as Philip John Paxson, was with his wife, daughters and friends celebrating their daughter's birthday party Friday night. His wife left ahead of him with the kids, while he stayed behind to help clean up but he never came home.

Google Maps sued by family of North Carolina man who drove off collapsed bridge following directions

A new lawsuit alleges Philip Paxson died using Google Maps at night after he drove off a North Carolina bridge that collapsed nine years prior.

Read in USA TODAY: https://apple.news/AZPeH8z2dR7-8XsmH2LD_qw

Season 4 Computers GIF by The Office

15 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Google Maps sued by family of North Carolina man who drove off collapsed bridge following directions

A new lawsuit alleges Philip Paxson died using Google Maps at night after he drove off a North Carolina bridge that collapsed nine years prior.

5 hours ago, samhexum said:

"...The troopers added there were no warning signs or barriers present along the roadway, which wasn't repaired by the time of the incident...".  Well, I'm usually against these types of civil suits, but in this case, if there were really no signs or barriers, the family may have a case against whichever government agency should have put up the signs and barriers (such as the county if this was not in a city). This type of accident was certainly foreseeable.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

I find it very difficult to believe that a road to a "collapsed bridge" had no barrier and no signs.

Call me skeptical.

I have no knowledge of the truth in this matter, obviously, but why would the troopers lie, putting their local government and employers in legal jeopardy? That wouldn't make rational sense.

I heard a report about this that said that barriers had been damaged or removed by vandals or scrappers, and the contractor hired by the local roads department that was supposed to maintain or replace them was slow to do so. 

Also it was said that Google maps didn't show the road as closed, so it was frequently used in directions. Locals repeatedly had sent repeated requests to correct the map, but they didn't act on the request.

If this happened at night when and there isn't any lighting, the driver might not have been able to see the bridge out well if they we're following the Google maps directions.  But the family will have to prove the lack of barrier maintenance and that Google should have known the map was wrong and failed to correct it when notified.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I find it very difficult to believe that a road to a "collapsed bridge" had no barrier and no signs.

Call me skeptical.

I tried... I typed in @skeptical but no avatar popped up.

19 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I have no knowledge of the truth in this matter, obviously, but why would the troopers lie, putting their local government and employers in legal jeopardy? That wouldn't make rational sense.

I know, I know... @Unicorn feels a song coming on (sort of)

16 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

It's a mystery indeed.

Not if you read my original post, where it's all explained.

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

4 minutes ago, DynamicUno said:

... Also it was said that Google maps didn't show the road as closed, so it was frequently used in directions. Locals repeatedly had sent repeated requests to correct the map, but they didn't act on the request.

... But the family will have to prove ...that Google should have known the map was wrong and failed to correct it when notified.

I guess not. If locals had repeatedly warned google maps, it's axiomatic that GM knew the map was wrong but refused to correct their maps.

• 3 months later...

Italian prosecutors have opened a manslaughter case after a woman who was allergic to dairy products died from eating a supposedly vegan tiramisu.

Anna Bellisario, 20, suffered anaphylactic shock after eating the dessert in a vegan restaurant she visited with her boyfriend in Milan last January.

The dish contained mascarpone, which was labelled as vegan but contained dairy products, prosecutors in Milan said.

As soon as she started to feel unwell, Ms Bellisario rushed to the lavatory to try to make herself vomit and also took the cortisone and asthma medication that she carried with her at all times.

She was taken to hospital but went into a coma and died 10 days later.

Prosecutors said the incident proved fatal because of her acute allergy to dairy products, which she had suffered from since birth.

“The quantity of milk protein found in the product in question indicates that there was mascarpone present…notwithstanding the fact that the product was sold as ‘vegan’,” Marcello Viola, a prosecutor, said in a statement.

Victim ‘very careful about what she ate’

Ms Bellisario was “always very careful about what she ate and that evening had specified to the restaurant that there must be neither eggs nor milk” in the food she ordered, prosecutors said.

Not only did the tiramisu contain milk, but a purportedly vegan sandwich that Ms Bellisario ate contained egg in its mayonnaise.

The two owners of the company that produced the tiramisu, Giuseppe Loiero and his mother, Giovanna Anoia, are being investigated for manslaughter. The tiramisu has been withdrawn from sale.

The pair are yet to publicly comment on the investigation.

Prosecutors said their firm, called Glg, had failed to respect food preparation procedures and that its training of staff was inadequate.

One employee had only completed a four-hour course on food hygiene.

In a wire-tapped conversation, Ms Anoia was overheard saying: “When you produce a product like that you don’t think about people who have allergies, you’re doing it for vegans, not for those with allergies.”

Prosecutors accused her of “underestimating the different types of consumers that the product was being made for”.

The firm produced vegan and non-vegan products in the same room at the same time, investigators alleged.

Employees allegedly mixed up animal-based products such as mascarpone with “ingredients of vegetable origin”.

The restaurant where Ms Bellisario ate, Flower Burger, is not thought to be under investigation.

https://www.aol.com/news/manslaughter-charges-woman-allergic-dairy-181714321.html

A day of celebration quickly turned into a horror show when a tech CEO plunged 15 feet to his death in an on-stage mishap in front of horrified employees in India.

Vistex CEO Sanjay Shah and Vistex President Vishwanath Raju Datla were inside an iron cage that was being lowered onto a stage as part of their grand entrance to a company party when a wire snapped, the Times of India reported.

Shocking video showed the moment the yellow cage hovering near the rafters began to wobble as fireworks exploded and a voice implored the crowd to “put their hands together” for the pair.

The cage then quickly dropped to one side, sending the two heads of the Illinois-based company hurtling 15 feet to the ground — roughly a one-story drop.

One of the men completely flipped over, landing head-first on the ground, the video shows.

Shah was killed in the accident. Datla was left in critical condition.

Although the cause was attributed to a snapped wire, officials are investigating the incident and faulty cage, which was pulled by a rolling machine and had iron wires and grills.

Shah and Datla were in India to celebrate their Vistex Asia’s silver jubilee, which was being celebrated across two days at the famous Ramoji Film City.

“Shah and Raju being lowered from the cage onto the dais was a planned event to kickstart the celebrations,” a company official told the outlet.

Vistex, founded by Shah in 1999, is an advisory service company with more than 20 global offices and a hefty client list that includes GM, Yamaha, Coca-Cola and more.

The Mumbai, India native immigrated to America more than a decade earlier to attend Lehigh University’s business school, where he earned his MBA in 1989 at the age of 21, according to the institution.

He went on to donate $5 million to establish the Vistex Institute for Executive Education at the school in 2017.

Shah was a philanthropist who also established the Vistex Foundation, which provides grants to nonprofits focusing on health, education, and basic needs programming.

In 2020, he opened the Vistex Hospital in Bihar, India, which became recognized as a national model COVID-19 facility.

12 minutes ago, newatthis said:

I always wondered about the origin of that expression (yes, I know about google).

And as Occam's Razor would predict, the film, or rather the book about Operation Market Garden, is the origin of the idiom.

1 minute ago, mike carey said:

And as Occam's Razor would predict, the film, or rather the book about Operation Market Garden, is the origin of the idiom.

17 minutes ago, newatthis said:

I always wondered about the origin of that expression (yes, I know about google).

Without going to look up one of my many books on history of WWII, my memory tells me it was an objective of the Allies in WWII to reach a bridge in northwest Europe that led to Germany in the last phases of the war.

There were several armies in the quest to reach Berlin first and the hope was that the Americans and British would be first ahead of the Soviets. This bridge was a strategic objective in this quest by the British army but German resistance was particularly fierce in this sector. 
As it turned out the Red army coming from the east made it to Berlin first. Eisenhower, the Supreme Commander, ordered a halt at the Rhine River of the surging American army.  Instead of heading directly to Berlin, they turned south eastwards. 
The British army led by Montgomery failed to take the bridge at (at Arnheim I believe) in order to get to Berlin ahead of the Soviets. 

The postwar division of Germany reflected the military outcome of the three armies, with the British getting the northwest of Germany, the Americans the southwest and the Soviets the entire east. The French were given a small section as a sop. Berlin was carved up in a similar way, isolated as an island in the Soviet sector. 
A very complex solution and not one that would last. 

On 1/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, samhexum said:

A day of celebration quickly turned into a horror show when a tech CEO plunged 15 feet to his death in an on-stage mishap in front of horrified employees in India.

perfect example of a imperfect risk/reward calculation.  the participants were seeking adulation in third-world relatively risky proposition.  things went predictably wrong & the couple paid the price.  doesn't seem worth it really - but who am I to judge ??
they aren't the first to be done in by narcissism & vanity - and they won't be the last 

18 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

perfect example of a imperfect risk/reward calculation.  the participants were seeking adulation in third-world relatively risky proposition.  things went predictably wrong & the couple paid the price.  doesn't seem worth it really - but who am I to judge ??
they aren't the first to be done in by narcissism & vanity - and they won't be the last 

I don’t think you can call India a third world country any longer. After all they landed a spacecraft successfully on the moon last August, placing them in the ranks of only four countries to have done that by then. Japan has just landed one as well making 5 countries altho theirs had a hiccup. 

India is also now the largest country by population in the world. They may well overtake China in many other respects by the end of this century.

On 1/22/2024 at 7:37 AM, mike carey said:

Operation Market Garden

Thanks to @mike carey and @Luv2play for their responses.  I did google it myself later in the day and found the explanation.  But both @mike carey and wikipedia seemed to think that "Operation Market Garden" was something I would know about.  Am I really so out of things?  Is this something well-known to the most people?