NYC Time Square New Year Eve

JayNY
This topic is 2695 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a crowd of something like half a million people. Sure you could "leave and come back" but you would just be fighting your way through a crowd the whole time. I don't understand why anyone would want to do it. Much better watched on TV...

Agreed. I went once...never again.

My uncle used to work in a Times Square restaurant. He said on New Year's Eve, every bar, restaurant, and hotel (basically any business with a bathroom) guards their bathroom like Ft. Knox. So no, there is no bathroom available. That means not only do you have to pee in public (what if you have to go #2? eek!) but also that you should expect to be wading in the pee of a half-million of your fellow revelers.

Still wanna go?

I'm not sure you can leave and come back...They seem to close off each street once it gets full and don't let more people in.

It was this way 20 years ago. I'm sure the crowd control hasn't diminished in more recent years.

An acquaintance back then had a 40th floor office overlooking Times Square and invited me to his annual party. Instructions were "arrive by noon or you may not get in".

It was this way 20 years ago. I'm sure the crowd control hasn't diminished in more recent years.

An acquaintance back then had a 40th floor office overlooking Times Square and invited me to his annual party. Instructions were "arrive by noon or you may not get in".

Now with Mr. trump's tower in the area, I expect access would be even more limited.

As many others here, went once and never went back. It seems it is a "I did it once" kind of life experience. Go. Bring someone to keep you warm. Use the facilities before going. Amazingly, an hour later the place is a relative ghost town.

Once inside the "zone" you cannot leave, even for bathroom breaks. Once the ball drops, Times Square is cleared of all visitors and cleanup begins, so don't expect to hang out in the street till all hours of the morning. The police will demand the you clear the area. Most subways will skip the Times Sq (42ndSt) stations. Also you need to get there early to get a spot, so plan on arriving hours before everything begins. Here are some guidelines from the New York City government site:

Times Square New Year's Eve Celebration

Going to see the ball drop in Times Square? Here are some things to know:

- Use mass transit! Drivers should expect traffic delays, and gridlock at bridges and tunnels.

- Avoid driving in midtown on New Year's Eve.

- Backpacks and large bags are prohibited.

- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.

- Property may not be abandoned at checkpoints.

- Attendees who leave before the ball drops will not be able to gain entry to their original viewing area.

- Expect delays getting into the Times Square area on foot.

- All visitors must go through metal detectors.

- Large screens will be set up in Times Square for those who cannot get close to the ball drop location at 43rd Street and Broadway.

Street Closures & Parking Information

Beginning at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, December 31st, Times Square will be closed to vehicle traffic. People are strongly advised to use public transportation. On-street parking will be extremely limited in the Midtown area. The NYPD will continue its drunken driving enforcement on New Year's Eve through DWI patrols and checkpoints throughout the City.

Read the NYPD's New Year's Eve Traffic Advisory (includes detailed parking and street closure information)

Visit the NYC Street Closures Map

Visit the DOT weekly street closure page

Transit Information

The easiest way to get to Times Square is by subway. Some subway station exits in the Times Square area may be closed due to crowding. See other recommended subway stops. Buy MetroCard in advance.

Learn more about New Year's subway and bus service via www.mta.info

Read MTA's Service for New Year's Holiday press release

Go to MTA's Holiday Weekend Service and Special Events page

Stay home. Watch it on TV.

It was cringe-worthy. I almost felt sorry for her, except that it was self-inflicted.

The whole sad affair is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTy_vSPkWc

I didn't see this last night, so I'm just watching it now for the first time. Frankly, whatever happened, whether it was her fault or the technology or whatever, her little diva moment at the end (a defeated "it just don't get any better" and attitude-filled exit) spoke volumes for her (lack of) professionalism. One might - might have been inclined to let her off the hook a little - until she forgot one of the hard and fast rules of show biz - stay in the moment and keep your head up. If she had managed a graceful exit, even laughing herself out of it all and giving a final "happy new year" or something, we would have at least been left with the impression of a classy performer who was trying to make the best out of a lousy situation. It's too bad she didn't opt for the high road.

That said, I'm sure she was flustered and humiliated/angry/etc. But she still needed to find a way go out on a high note (pun intended), and she sure didn't.

Maybe she'd like to go perform for the inauguration? I hear they're desperate for more acts...

Wow - never been much of a Mariah Carey fan and this certainly has not caused me to have a change of heart.

+1......(first time I've ever done that +1 thing!).....she did try to salvage it with a little dancing/flitting around, but gotta say I'm glad she got busted lip-syncing.....

Not to defend Ms Carey, but networks routinely utilize prerecorded vocal tracks during major live broadcasts. Whoever sings the National Anthem at this year's Super Bowl will sing live, while a taped version of the song plays simultaneously. Too much is riding on the performance to chance a human or technical snafu.

Archived