Mary Frances "Debbie" Reynolds (April 1, 1932 – December 28, 2016)

marylander1940
This topic is 2663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Debbie-Reynolds.jpg

I only saw Debbie Reynolds in person once. She was in the audience of "Minnelli on Minnelli" on Broadway. It was Liza Minnelli's musical tribute to her dad, director Vincente Minnelli. In retrospect, I am so glad she was there, a representative of the old Hollywood musicals.

You sure about that?

As I said: I saw it. Along with House of Wax, also in 3-D. Singin' in the Rain was particularly odd for a 3-D film, as it looked like you were watching it through a window, rather than the more "realistic" 3-D that sort of comes out of the screen.

It was at the Coolidge Corner theatre, where I also saw Brokeback Mountain in its second week of performance.

Not to be exceptionally bitchy, but as is the case with many mothers, Carrie and Debbie did not always get along. Debbie could be quite the scene stealer and while she admitted to Carrie's success, she was rarely effusive about it. Perhaps Debbie died in an effort to upstage Carrie. She got to be the grieving mother and the corpse in the same 24 hours. Well maybe that was exceptionally bitchy.

Debbie Reynolds was a 16 year old in the 11th grade in Burbank, California in 1948. There was a "Miss Burbank" beauty contest where the first prize was a blouse. Debbie Reynolds entered the contest because she wanted the blouse. She won the contest and not only won the blouse, she got a 7 year contract with Warner Brothers. Here she is in "Singin' in the Rain" filmed in 1951. In just 3 years she is holding her own in a complex number with two of the greatest dancers of the time, Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor.

As I said: I saw it. Along with House of Wax, also in 3-D. Singin' in the Rain was particularly odd for a 3-D film, as it looked like you were watching it through a window, rather than the more "realistic" 3-D that sort of comes out of the screen.

It was at the Coolidge Corner theatre, where I also saw Brokeback Mountain in its second week of performance.

Maybe they adapted it to 3-D "digitally" more recently? They were attempting to with THE WIZARD OF OZ, but weren't successful.

KISS ME KATE was in 3-D. Also a MGM musical, it was released the year after SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. Same year (1953) as HOUSE OF WAX and Bugs Bunny's 3-D appearance in LUMBER JACK-RABBIT. (MGM's own Tom & Jerry didn't do 3-D, but Paramount's Popeye and Casper, Disney's Donald Duck and Universal's Woody Woodpecker did.)

"Post Cards on the Edge" was written by Carrie. The film starred Meryl Streep as 'Carrie' and Shirley McLain as 'Debbie' with different names of course. A fun, serious and ultimately satisfying film that did a great job of showing the relationship between the two of them.

Debbie had a long and very successful career as one of the most dependable and popular actresses in films. Her Miss Burbank start is legendary and she appeared in several classic movies. She was also a canny, complex woman who knew how to use the press. The contrast between Elizabeth Taylor's glamour in diamonds and mink to Debbie's photos in plain, old clothes with a diaper pin on her blouse, holding one of her babies wasn't accidental. All the sympathy was with Debbie. Of course, Taylor was no slouch and soon topped her, regaining filmdom's sympathy and an Oscar, by nearly dying. Those were the days.

I always found Eddie Fischer rather blah, but maybe he was packing. He must have had something to entice two such amazing women to fight over him. At any rate, Debbie Reynolds was a great star!

Not to be exceptionally bitchy, but as is the case with many mothers, Carrie and Debbie did not always get along. Debbie could be quite the scene stealer and while she admitted to Carrie's success, she was rarely effusive about it. Perhaps Debbie died in an effort to upstage Carrie. She got to be the grieving mother and the corpse in the same 24 hours. Well maybe that was exceptionally bitchy.

As Alice Roosevelt Longworth said, with sardonic affection, about her father Teddy, who even managed to steal the scene at the wedding of his niece Eleanor to Franklin Roosevelt, "Papa wanted to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral."

Archived