Mary Frances "Debbie" Reynolds (April 1, 1932 – December 28, 2016)

marylander1940
This topic is 2684 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debbie had a long and very successful career as one of the most dependable and popular actresses in films. Her Miss Burbank start is legendary and she appeared in several classic movies. She was also a canny, complex woman who knew how to use the press. The contrast between Elizabeth Taylor's glamour in diamonds and mink to Debbie's photos in plain, old clothes with a diaper pin on her blouse, holding one of her babies wasn't accidental. All the sympathy was with Debbie. Of course, Taylor was no slouch and soon topped her, regaining filmdom's sympathy and an Oscar, by nearly dying. Those were the days.

I always found Eddie Fischer rather blah, but maybe he was packing. He must have had something to entice two such amazing women to fight over him. At any rate, Debbie Reynolds was a great star!

Yeah... Eddie was a buddy of Michael Todd and THAT was the attraction. After his untimely death, Liz needed the man whom she most associated with The Ghost.

Eventually the novelty wore off and she later hooked up with Richard on CLEO.

Debbie and Liz bonded later in life and even co-starred in a movie. Carrie always liked Liz too. She was so easy to forgive.

Maybe they adapted it to 3-D "digitally" more recently? They were attempting to with THE WIZARD OF OZ, but weren't successful.

KISS ME KATE was in 3-D. Also a MGM musical, it was released the year after SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. Same year (1953) as HOUSE OF WAX and Bugs Bunny's 3-D appearance in LUMBER JACK-RABBIT. (MGM's own Tom & Jerry didn't do 3-D, but Paramount's Popeye and Casper, Disney's Donald Duck and Universal's Woody Woodpecker did.)

Maybe that's it. I have no reason to doubt what Gallahadesquire said he saw. "Kiss Me Kate" is usually referenced as MGM's first 3-D musical, that's why I asked, since I've never read anywhere that "Singin in the Rain" was filmed in 3-D. But I defer to film experts on this.

It is way too soon to draw final conclusions about the relationship between Carrie Fisher and her mom. That's up to Carrie's daughter and brother. Lucie Arnaz did not always have a good relationship with her mom, Lucille Ball. Yet she responded to every single condolence letter from the famous and just ordinary person. At the time, Lucie was still raising her children and performing occasionally. When my dad died young, the people who helped my mom the most were not the co-workers he would have expected. Instead it was families one rank below my dad. Added on 1-1-2017: My dad died in 1960, but I can still remember the names of two of his work friends although I may have only met them once in my life, or not at all.

Finally I apologize to @AdamSmith , he was far more right about all this than anyone else.

It is way too soon to draw final conclusions about the relationship between Carrie Fisher and her mom. That's up to Carrie's daughter and brother. Lucie Arnaz did not always have a good relationship with her mom, Lucille Ball. Yet she responded to every single condolence letter from the famous and just ordinary person. At the time, Lucie was still raising her children and performing occasionally. When my dad died young, the people who helped my mom the most were not the co-workers he would have expected. Instead it was families one rank below my dad.

Finally I apologize to @AdamSmith , he was far more right about all this than anyone else.

I'm sorry I didn't understand. What are 'families one rank below...'?

Gman

My mom rarely or never heard from the people who worked closely with my dad. But., two people with lower level jobs, whom my dad rarely mentioned, stayed in touch for decades.

Was your dad a manager? The people under him might have been who he worked most closely and the ones at his level may have been simply doing the same thing he was with different teams? In my job the managers just went to status meetings together, while they had occasional interaction in terms of balancing workflow they spent much more time with their underlings than each other.

Was your dad a manager? The people under him might have been who he worked most closely and the ones at his level may have been simply doing the same thing he was with different teams? In my job the managers just went to status meetings together, while they had occasional interaction in terms of balancing workflow they spent much more time with their underlings than each other.

He had been a supervisor, but he had his first heart attack three years before the one that killed him. The company shifted him to another job with less day to day stress. So for the last three years, he may have had little contact with the men whom he had once mentioned so frequently. Thanks @sniper, I believe you are correct. As important, I always like your thoughtful and kind posts. I wish you would post more often.

4060786171_bbe83604b5.jpg

With Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Until now I did not realize Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds were relatively short. In the early 1950s, Eddie had a 15-minute TV-show five nights a week after the nightly news which, I believe, because a half hour prime time show once a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived