Go Cubs

stevenkesslar
This topic is 2759 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was rooting for the Cubs too.

Otherwise the game on Sunday would have conflicted with the season premier of The Walking Dead.

What is it with that show?

I'm visiting my Mom and Dad. My Dad and I wanted to hear the Cubs game (on radio) which which did at his house. In my Mom's room at the nursing home yesterday her roommate was playing what I'm guessing were reruns of The Walking Dead nonstop. I'd never seen it before. It is really, really gross. I was thinking, "What a wonderful thing for old women with dementia to be watching." :eek:

FS1 showed a dude who was waiting to get tickets the LAST time the Cubs were in the World Series. He was 12 at the time.

Wow...I bet he is ecstatic right now.

There is probably rumbling on the ground of Starved Rock State Park, where we scattered my parents' ashes.

What is it with that show?

:

Some would say it's got more gore than a cheap teen slasher movie.

Some would say it's about family and community.

Some would say it explores the moral heart of mankind.

Me, I think its appeal lies in its habit of killing off well loved, central characters w/o hesitation or even a hint of foreshadowing.

All other TV dramas, you know that, no matter what's going on, every body essential to the ratings is going to somehow make it through. Not on The Walking Dead. It's like a Star Trek where a Spock or a Sulu or a Dr. McCoy gets killed off regularly. No red shirt rule on this series. ;)

This is only the second time the Cubs have made the World Series in my lifetime, and the first ever to be televised, I believe. The last time they actually won the WS, there wasn't even a radio broadcast. Now fans can watch it live on their phones!

My Dad remembers the last time. He said he was on a ship in the Pacific toward the end of WW2. At least we won that one.

This is only the second time the Cubs have made the World Series in my lifetime, and the first ever to be televised, I believe. The last time they actually won the WS, there wasn't even a radio broadcast. Now fans can watch it live on their phones!

The last time the Cubs won the World Series, Ford had been producing the Model T for only a few weeks. (Oct. 1, 1908 is when it first rolled off the assembly line.) And we were 18 years away from sliced bread.

This is the year! They're due.

The last time the Cubs won the World Series, Ford had been producing the Model T for only a few weeks. (Oct. 1, 1908 is when it first rolled off the assembly line.) And we were 18 years away from sliced bread.

Exactly, my mother was born on August 8, 1908. She was the eight child in her family, so it would not have surprised her if the Cubs win the World Series for the first time in 108 years.

Viewed from here this is the year of the outsider, and that will be true whichever of the teams wins the 'World' Series. Leicester City won the EPL, Cleveland won the NBA, in Australia the Western Bulldogs won the AFL for the first time since 1954 and Cronulla-Sutherland won the national rugby league for the first time in their 50 year history. For MLB I don't have a dog in the fight, but I know that @Brian Kevin and @seaboy4hire do, good luck to both teams.

I figured this series would go all 7 games.

Still lots of history made.

• Last night's game was the first Cubs WS game to be broadcast (radio or TV).
  • Kyle Schwarber's double makes him the first NL player since 1988 to get his first hit of the year in the World Series. He's been out with a knee injury since game 2.
  • (And, come on! He hasn't seen major league pitching since April and he hits a double that would have gone out without the wind? Off Kluber?????)
  • When Dexter Fowler stepped into the batter's box in the first inning last night he was the first African-American to play in a Cubs World Series game. Blacks and latinos weren't allowed in the league in 1945.

Archived