Go Cubs

stevenkesslar
This topic is 2744 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, based on entirely nothing I would have to question that statistic. The city isn't even 3 million if I remember correctly and not everyone went. Then I am not sure how many could have come from the suburbs and surrounding areas. Then there is the number of hotel rooms or other type of rentables. Of course, it would be great for the city if it went up to that much. It would certainly help with our drowning school system and our need to pay into our pension system. We unfortunately have to pay for overtime to monitor the extra millions. Even still, Go Cubs.

All I can say is that was the city's official estimate I read today.

The rally in Grant Park could only hold 500,000 and people were being turned away hours before it started because it was already full. There's video of the gates opening and it looks like the Chicago Marathon but with everyone in Cubbie blue.

(It was a pretty freaking great celebration, either way. Chicago did itself proud!)

Unfortunately, based on entirely nothing I would have to question that statistic. The city isn't even 3 million if I remember correctly and not everyone went. Then I am not sure how many could have come from the suburbs and surrounding areas. Then there is the number of hotel rooms or other type of rentables. Of course, it would be great for the city if it went up to that much. It would certainly help with our drowning school system and our need to pay into our pension system. We unfortunately have to pay for overtime to monitor the extra millions. Even still, Go Cubs.

Don't forget that metropolitan Chicago comprises nearly 10 million people. People coming in from the suburbs would not be renting a hotel - they would drive or take Metra or CTA for the day. According to ABC-7 news, the 5 million estimate included people who lined the parade route (approximately 6.7 miles, including along Lake Shore Drive, which could hold people on both the Outer Drive and Inner Drive/Sheridan Road) and the celebration in Grant Park. I don't think the estimate is impossible.

All I can say is that was the city's official estimate I read today.

The rally in Grant Park could only hold 500,000 and people were being turned away hours before it started because it was already full. There's video of the gates opening and it looks like the Chicago Marathon but with everyone in Cubbie blue.

(It was a pretty freaking great celebration, either way. Chicago did itself proud!)

Certainly Bozo and Rocky Troll are wondering how many people at the parade were shot. It's Chicago. :rolleyes:

I wish ANYONE had told me about the Bryzzo bromance. Apparently, it's been a thing all season.

I don't know if the Cubs have a captain, but if they don't, it should be Rizzo.

#Bryzzo has been a thing for two years. They became best buds immediately when Bryant was called up last year.

At the beginning of the 2016 season, MLB made a video in their #THIS campaign for each team. Here's the one for the Cubs.

with organ accompaniment!

Trivia: Wrigley Field was the first park in baseball to feature an organist.

When Cubs fans gather for Cubs Convention every winter, they're greeted by the Wrigley Field organist Gary Pressey playing in the hotel's lobby. If the event hadn't had the organist I don't think it would be missed, but it felt so right to have it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFf6WUVKgPimlm6GLm4kT09A3Ann2x8qHrXRwhbcsFXAS9z6Tn_Q

I'm glad to see the Cubs in it, but I'll be rooting for the Tribe!:)

And not to be a bitch about it, but you can see exactly how far your ..... er, dated logo got you.

Honest, Injun. Sorry to be so blunt.

But that's okay. I'm still hoping I'll be just like you - an old slut - when I grow up. Maybe by that time YOUR team will figure out how to win. ;)

Not to diminish the Cubs' achievement at all, but another long term drought was broken on Saturday.

Ireland first played New Zealand in Rugby Union at Lansdowne Road in Dublin in 1905 and lost, in the ensuing 111 years they had played 27 more matches, never winning. They played again on Saturday, with New Zealand defending both this record and a world record of 18 consecutive international tests, three of them this year against Australia, so I'm not exactly impartial in this discussion. Ireland had a great game, defeating the All Blacks 40-29 at Soldier Field!

Four Cubs players were nominated for Rawlings Gold Glove awards. (Winners should be announced this evening.)

Joe Maddon is a finalist for Manager of the Year.

Kris Bryant is a finalist for MVP.

Kyle Hendricks and Jon Lester are finalists for Cy Young.

Sporting News named Theo Epstein the MLB Executive of the year. (From the department of DUH!)

Not a bad year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived