Go Cubs

stevenkesslar
This topic is 2744 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was fortunate to be seated behind home plate (with my mother - Dad was out in left field;)) for the fifth game of the 1948 Series in Cleveland with the Boston Braves . Classic between two Hall of Fame pitchers - Bob Feller and Warren Spahn. Was the largest crowd ever to see a baseball game, over 86,000, as they allowed people to stand behind the outfield fence in Cleveland Stadium. Unfortunately, the Tribe lost 8-5, but clinched in the 6th game in Boston.

GO TRIBE!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the the 1954 World Series on TV. Maybe this is Cleveland's year. In 1954,the Indians lost the series in four games, despite an excellent pitching staff of Bob Feller, Mike Garcia, Early Wynn, and Bob Lemon.

If I remember, that was the year Cleveland won 111 games, and everyone took it for granted that they would win the series.

If I remember, that was the year Cleveland won 111 games, and everyone took it for granted that they would win the series.

I believe you are correct. The first World Series I remember watching was 1950 when the Yankees beat the Phillies in 4 straight games. I was not living in Philadelphia yet. Still, I felt sorry for the Phillies.

Question for the Cubbies among us: If Chicago does not win the current World Series, will the year be considered a failure or a success?

As a Red Sox fan, I feel I'm qualified to answer this, lol - it would be a failure. The Sox made it to the Series many times, only to lose - we didn't really feel vindicated until 2004.

I think it should be considered a success. It's a lot harder to just get to the Series now than it was in 1945, when there were only seven other teams to play, no night games, less travel and no jet lag, no play-offs and fewer regular season games to play.

So - when the Sox broke their losing streak (that streak referred to by some as "the curse of the Bambino") in 2004, they first defeated the Yankees in the ALCS, winning the last 4 games after the Yankees won the first 3. They just kept winning after that, sweeping the Cardinals in the first 4 games of the World Series. Coincidentally, the brand new manager for the Red Sox that season was one Terry Francona, who of course is now the manager for Cleveland. (Which means that yes, Francona beat his old team in the ALDS this year. Ugh.)

So, not quite the same thing here, but the Cubs won tonight, and must win the next 2 games to win the series. It could happen...:D

Archived