I Was Robbed!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2971 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gman,

So sorry you have had to endure this ordeal. You have received a great deal of good advise. This happened to me years ago walking home from a neighborhood bar. In addition to the other information, make sure to take the time to sit down and write down the entire experience in as much detail as possible. If the police catch the perps, you may be required to testify, and it is very important that your statements are consistent. I had to testify in court, and felt great when the shit heels that robbed me at gunpoint and pistol whipped me with a revolver were sentenced to prison. No detail is too small. Writing down the experience also has the added benefit of getting the experience out of your head, so you stop re-running the experience on a continuous loop.

I hope you feel better and can begin to put this behind you.

Glad you are physically okay Gman. A man's home is his castle. Not sure I can give you any advice other than what has already been said. (((Big Bear Hugs)))

http://gundecalz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PN-2537.jpg http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/m/m9wF0duT92xwBVIR_VZUPcg/s-l225.jpg http://www.posnerposnerposner.com/images/dog-bites-case.jpg http://www.abcsofdogtraining.com/files/1992084/uploaded/rex.JPG

Thank you for the advice but in this case it doesn't matter my friend, he fell asleep at 4:15 AM inside his car in front of his own house/apartment.

One more things: castle laws do apply to your own car in TX and other states.

I'm not trying to be funny. I was actually just robbed at gun point. I'm still a bit shaky.

What happened was I was just returning from seeing a guy. It was the guy I told y'all about a month or so ago-the one I had looked up info on and freaked him out (As an aside -he thinks I'm manly, calls me a 'f-cking stud', and loves my tallywacker. Of course he only contacts me when he's drunk, so his judgement may be off just a bit).

Anyway he lives about 15 miles from me. I left his place about 3:45 AM and got back home at around 4:15 AM. I was listening to the public radio station in the car. There was an interesting story about NASA's plans to go to Mars. I turned off the motor but wanted to hear the rest of the story. I leaned back in my seat. And I fell asleep in front of my house inside my car. Hey-it was 4:15 in the morning.

Next thing I know-two teenage guys with ski masks on-are tapping my car window with a handgun. They tell me to put the wallet on the roof of the car. It takes me a second or two-#1 They've woken me up from a sound sleep-I have sleep apnea -I can usually fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Plus I didn't get a lot of sleep yesterday. #2. Anyone who has seen my wallet knows it resembles George Costanza's. They tell me to get out the wallet or do I want to be shot. I get out the wallet. I put it on top of the car. They grab it and start walking away towards the end of the block.

I go inside my house. I call the bank immediately to put a hold on my debit card. Then I call 911 to report the robbery. The police get there in next to no time. Plus my across the street neighbor heard the robbers. And he came outside when the police arrived. I don't know what all was in my wallet. Of the things I can remember, there was my debit card, my driver's license, and a few blank checks. I had some cash in the wallet. But it was less than $50 as far as I remember.

I've canceled my bank account. But these guys have my name which is worrying. Plus as it's Sunday, I'm not going to be able to get any cash. I have food in the house. The only thing I think I might need money for this weekend would maybe be to get gas. Luckily if worse came to worse, I could borrow a bit of money from a friend. Monday I'll be going to the bank for a temporary debit card and going to a state office for a new driver's license. I'm glad I have a passport. Otherwise I don't really have anything for proof of my identity.

Gman

I'm glad you're alive, you're hiring again and going out of your house, I'm also glad you have a passport to prove your ID and get a new Driver's license, things always could be more problematic in life. It was just a bad day (night) next time you get to your house look around... and get yourself back into your house/apartment as soon as possible, if you fall asleep in your car at 4:15 AM you're a seating duck.

I am a bit worried about identity theft @bigvalboy as I can't remember what exactly was in my wallet. I know that the following were in there-my license, debit card, a few grocery/drugstore loyalty cards, probably some cards for the County STD Clinic and Gay City Testing in Seattle, a book of stamps, possibly my AARP card, and not very much money (probably under $50).

I'm glad you're alive, you're hiring again and going out of your house,

Just a clarification. It wasn't a hire. It was actually a non-monetarily based 'hook up'. They don't happen a lot. But occasionally even I get 'lucky'-aside from being robbed of course.

I just caught this as well. Glad that you are safe. Also, you handled it in a cool, calm and collected way... Well as much as possible that is!

Well we all knew that you are a cool guy. It's the calm and collected part that we really had no clue about!!:)

Thank you for the kind words. If you had seen the the multiple times due to fumbling it took me to unlock my iPhone, get into my contacts list, and to press the phone icon to call Wells Fargo, you might not be complimenting my cool head.

Oh and get this-so I'm talking to the Wells Fargo customer service rep. I've explained what happened. And she has cancelled my debit card. I am trying to decide whether to close the entire account. But I decide I need to get off the phone with her and call the police. I can decide after that whether to call Wells Fargo back. I tell the rep, I need to hang up to call the police, and I'll decide whether to call them back later. So. After I say they, she says something like 'I would like to bring to your attention an account service.....'

Geez-I know they have a script they have to read from. But I had just told her I was robbed and that now I needed to hang up and call the police. And she is still trying to up-sell me. She ought to get the WELLS FARGO CHUTZPAH Award. :confused:

Gman

I hope the next victim they run into it is carrying their own weapon and isn't afraid to use it.

Or that the police or sheriff's deputies apprehend these people, that they are successfully prosecuted, and that restitution is ordered. In any event, I'm very sorry to hear about this Gman.

Gman -

What an awful experience. The advice mentioned earlier to watch out for your mental health is important. Do find a professional who knows how to consul on stress. Perhaps the policy department has someone it can recommend.

When I started my banking career, I had several co-workers that had been in armed robberies. One of them stated that the first time she was robbed at gunpoint, the adrenaline kicked in and when the robber was arrested within the hour (he walk through the snow back to his apartment) she thought she was fine. Then a week later at the hour of the hold up, she suddenly started weeping and ended up need to take a leave of absence for two weeks and have counseling for some time.

Take care of yourself.

I hope the next victim they run into it is carrying their own weapon and isn't afraid to use it.

This always stuns me. It is good you did not get hurt. It is too bad they have not been caught yet. Ultimately it probably is a lot easier to live with the robbery trauma than it would be with the blood of a dying teenager dripping on your driveway or yours saturating your car seat. For pity's sake people, even people walking the streets with masks and guns at 4 in the morning have parents.

Glad you did not get hurt!!! That's the most important thing.

Good luck with all the cars/license/bank issues!

I put an NPR app on my phone, so I can continue listening (by streaming my local station) when I'm done driving. That might solve that issue for you.

This always stuns me. It is good you did not get hurt. It is too bad they have not been caught yet. Ultimately it probably is a lot easier to live with the robbery trauma than it would be with the blood of a dying teenager dripping on your driveway or yours saturating your car seat. For pity's sake people, even people walking the streets with masks and guns at 4 in the morning have parents.

The parents? My guess those apples probably doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Ugh, that is a terrible feeling. I was actually mugged and beaten I my 20's. I was so elated that I wasn't killed or my child taken (brand new baby in a brand new car still running) that I thought I was fine. The next day, I was horribly sorry but mostly incredibly depressed.

Happened to me again in S. Africa and I fought back and won. Still... a terrible feeling.

It's definitely easier than living (?) with my blood saturating my car seat. You'll forgive me, I hope, if I say the jury is still out on the other possibility you mention although in all probability you are right (except for the fact that I don't have a driveway). On the other hand, it still feels unreal to me.

I had wanted to treat myself to a nice dinner-but I didn't have enough money lying around the house for it. Also I'm near empty on gas. And it being Sunday-the bank is closed. I could have asked a friend to borrow some money. But it felt funny when I don't desperately need it considering I didn't have anywhere I needed to drive today. And my cupboard is full of food. So I'm not starving. It was more the idea of not being able to access any money rather than the actual need for money. Instead I ended up sleeping the day away. I'm about to fix myself a sandwich.

I also thought about going online and possibly replacing my driver's license that way-then it occurred to me-I couldn't pay for it online. My card is canceled. It also reminded me that the first thing I need to do tomorrow is go to the bank and not the license bureau. I probably would have gone to the bank first anyway. But realizing having no money just reminded me that I definitely needed to go to the bank first.

Again I am so happy I have a passport-until a few months ago-I had the passport but my brother in Texas was keeping it for me (long story). I decided I wanted it with me. So I had him send it to me a few months back. Replacing my license and establishing proof of my identity for the bank would be next to impossible without it as I don't have a birth certificate on me either.

That brings up a question-if you don't have a birth certificate on you, live outside both the city and state where you were born, and don't have a passport on you-how would you go about proving your identity to get a new license and access to your bank account immediately?

Gman

It's definitely easier than living (?) with my blood saturating my car seat. You'll forgive me, I hope, if I say the jury is still out on the other possibility you mention although in all probability you are right (except for the fact that I don't have a driveway). On the other hand, it still feels unreal to me.

I had wanted to treat myself to a nice dinner-but I didn't have enough money lying around the house for it. Also I'm near empty on gas. And it being Sunday-the bank is closed. I could have asked a friend to borrow some money. But it felt funny when I don't desperately need it considering I didn't have anywhere I needed to drive today. And my cupboard is full of food. So I'm not starving. It was more the idea of not being able to access any money rather than the actual need for money. Instead I ended up sleeping the day away. I'm about to fix myself a sandwich.

I also thought about going online and possibly replacing my driver's license that way-then it occurred to me-I couldn't pay for it online. My card is canceled. It also reminded me that the first thing I need to do tomorrow is go to the bank and not the license bureau. I probably would have gone to the bank first anyway. But realizing having no money just reminded me that I definitely needed to go to the bank first.

Again I am so happy I have a passport-until a few months ago-I had the passport but my brother in Texas was keeping it for me (long story). I decided I wanted it with me. So I had him send it to me a few months back. Replacing my license and establishing proof of my identity for the bank would be next to impossible without it as I don't have a birth certificate on me either.

That brings up a question-if you don't have a birth certificate on you, live outside both the city and state where you were born, and don't have a passport on you-how would you go about proving your identity to get a new license and access to your bank account immediately?

Gman

I can't speak for the DMV or for Wells Fargo, but at the large bank I work for we would ask you what are called "Knowledge Based Authentication" questions. For example, did you ever live at such and such street, which of the following names relate to you and so forth. We also ask questions about your relationship with us. Think about it: they could have robbed you inside of your house and taken your passport. If all we would accept is a birth certificate or passport what would you do then?

I can't speak for the DMV or for Wells Fargo, but at the large bank I work for we would ask you what are called "Knowledge Based Authentication" questions. For example, did you ever live at such and such street, which of the following names relate to you and so forth. We also ask questions about your relationship with us. Think about it: they could have robbed you inside of your house and taken your passport. If all we would accept is a birth certificate or passport what would you do then?

Yes that's what I was wondering about. I remember now. I've answered those questions before. It's been awhile back-maybe when I had lost a wallet and was trying to re-establish my bank account.

Gman

Well, while you are cleaning up this mess, be sure to introduce yourself to your bank manager. Tell him you were robbed and you realized that you were not well known at this bank so you wanted to introduce yourself. You might also get a safety deposit box for the passport a copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your will. Good luck with getting through this

The parents? My guess those apples probably doesn't fall too far from the tree.

I was not going to engage this bit of trollery, but it is late so what the heck.....So if they had bad parents then the parents deserve to be punished? Or the teens and the parents ? Why not just take a submachine gun to their house, or street or neighborhood? And if it turns out that the parents were great parents, the kids were misguided youth who had never been in trouble before. Well at least the kids and you agree that if you are going to be out at 4 AM you should be packing.

Why not just take a submachine gun to their house, or street or neighborhood?

Yeah, execute the families of these terrorists. Oh wait, that's already been said in the campaign. Seriously though, criminal behaviour may well result from having criminal parents, but it's more likely to be the result of simply poor parenting, or indeed just the teens deciding on this course of action themselves.

Archived