I Was Robbed!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2971 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not trying to be funny. I was actually just robbed at gun point. I'm still a bit shaky.

What happened was I was just returning from seeing a guy. It was the guy I told y'all about a month or so ago-the one I had looked up info on and freaked him out (As an aside -he thinks I'm manly, calls me a 'f-cking stud', and loves my tallywacker. Of course he only contacts me when he's drunk, so his judgement may be off just a bit).

Anyway he lives about 15 miles from me. I left his place about 3:45 AM and got back home at around 4:15 AM. I was listening to the public radio station in the car. There was an interesting story about NASA's plans to go to Mars. I turned off the motor but wanted to hear the rest of the story. I leaned back in my seat. And I fell asleep in front of my house inside my car. Hey-it was 4:15 in the morning.

Next thing I know-two teenage guys with ski masks on-are tapping my car window with a handgun. They tell me to put the wallet on the roof of the car. It takes me a second or two-#1 They've woken me up from a sound sleep-I have sleep apnea -I can usually fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Plus I didn't get a lot of sleep yesterday. #2. Anyone who has seen my wallet knows it resembles George Costanza's. They tell me to get out the wallet or do I want to be shot. I get out the wallet. I put it on top of the car. They grab it and start walking away towards the end of the block.

I go inside my house. I call the bank immediately to put a hold on my debit card. Then I call 911 to report the robbery. The police get there in next to no time. Plus my across the street neighbor heard the robbers. And he came outside when the police arrived. I don't know what all was in my wallet. Of the things I can remember, there was my debit card, my driver's license, and a few blank checks. I had some cash in the wallet. But it was less than $50 as far as I remember.

I've canceled my bank account. But these guys have my name which is worrying. Plus as it's Sunday, I'm not going to be able to get any cash. I have food in the house. The only thing I think I might need money for this weekend would maybe be to get gas. Luckily if worse came to worse, I could borrow a bit of money from a friend. Monday I'll be going to the bank for a temporary debit card and going to a state office for a new driver's license. I'm glad I have a passport. Otherwise I don't really have anything for proof of my identity.

Gman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gman,

You are a man of action. I'd probably be too shaken to have thought & acted as wisely as you have. I could almost bet you they dumped your wallet and kept the contents. If they were smart, they dropped your DL to avoid incriminating evidence. Maybe you could walk around the neighborhood in DAYLIGHT and look around? Do it with your neighbor or with a buddy. Don't be surprised if this incident hits you like a ton of bricks later today...you may still be running on adrenaline. Maybe you could hang out with a buddy later today? Just to have some company. Hug.

Ps- it is not lost on me....glad to hear you got some studly action with that guy from your past ;)

I'm not trying to be funny. I was actually just robbed at gun point. I'm still a bit shaky.

What happened was I was just returning from seeing a guy. It was the guy I told y'all about a month or so ago-the one I had looked up info on and freaked him out (As an aside -he thinks I'm manly, calls me a 'f-cking stud', and loves my tallywacker. Of course he only contacts me when he's drunk, so his judgement may be off just a bit).

Anyway he lives about 15 miles from me. I left his place about 3:45 AM and got back home at around 4:15 AM. I was listening to the public radio station in the car. There was an interesting story about NASA's plans to go to Mars. I turned off the motor but wanted to hear the rest of the story. I leaned back in my seat. And I fell asleep in front of my house inside my car. Hey-it was 4:15 in the morning.

Next thing I know-two teenage guys with ski masks on-are tapping my car window with a handgun. They tell me to put the wallet on the roof of the car. It takes me a second or two-#1 They've woken me up from a sound sleep-I have sleep apnea -I can usually fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Plus I didn't get a lot of sleep yesterday. #2. Anyone who has seen my wallet knows it resembles George Costanza's. They tell me to get out the wallet or do I want to be shot. I get out the wallet. I put it on top of the car. They grab it and start walking away towards the end of the block.

I go inside my house. I call the bank immediately to put a hold on my debit card. Then I call 911 to report the robbery. The police get there in next to no time. Plus my across the street neighbor heard the robbers. And he came outside when the police arrived. I don't know what all was in my wallet. Of the things I can remember, there was my debit card, my driver's license, and a few blank checks. I had some cash in the wallet. But it was less than $50 as far as I remember.

I've canceled my bank account. But these guys have my name which is worrying. Plus as it's Sunday, I'm not going to be able to get any cash. I have food in the house. The only thing I think I might need money for this weekend would maybe be to get gas. Luckily if worse came to worse, I could borrow a bit of money from a friend. Monday I'll be going to the bank for a temporary debit card and going to a state office for a new driver's license. I'm glad I have a passport. Otherwise I don't really have anything for proof of my identity.

Gman

So sorry this happened to you after such a great night. Hope you're ok & getting over the shock.

Holy crap - that's scary! The important thing is that you weren't hurt.

@Truereview has good advice about finding the wallet. I can understand how being robbed in your own driveway would be freaky but it sounds like a crime of opportunity and not something that's likely to happen again.

I hope the financial impact evaporates into nothing more than a minor pain in the butt GMan.

*Hugs*

Hi Gar1eth,

Just received the news of you being robbed, babe. I'm happy you weren't hurt, and that you survived through that awful and terrifying experience.

Stay strong, baby, and we all are glad your okay.

How you holding up?

That's fucked up Gman...The bright side is that you weren't hurt. Everything else is replaceable. Your passport should be enough to get money from the bank on Monday, and borrowing money to get you through today is a good idea. That said, keep an eye out for identity theft. Make a list of what was in your wallet, and take steps to secure or change that information. And above all consider this a lesson learned, and just be more careful coming and going, at any hour, especially after dark. Crimes of opportunity can happen anywhere and at anytime, just realize that, and protect yourself the best you can without driving yourself crazy...Good luck.

Just saw this, Gman. I am so sorry. I would have been too shaken to have taken immediate action.

I think BVB has good advice about preventing identity theft. But to put your mind at ease, my guess is that these guys, like many criminals wanted cash for drugs. Selling the driver's license, even via the dark web, would put them at additional risk. I had my wallet stolen a few years ago, with my driver's license and a blank check inside. I immediately cancelled the bank account, but took a while to deacativate the driver's license. No identity theft as far as I know.

How awful. It sounds like you are taking good practical steps though. Maybe a nice impractical step is also in order -- a nice dinner out or some other pleasure to celebrate that you came through the ordeal safely. Glad you did.

Glad you are physically okay Gman. A man's home is his castle. Not sure I can give you any advice other than what has already been said. (((Big Bear Hugs)))

http://gundecalz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PN-2537.jpg http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/m/m9wF0duT92xwBVIR_VZUPcg/s-l225.jpg http://www.posnerposnerposner.com/images/dog-bites-case.jpg http://www.abcsofdogtraining.com/files/1992084/uploaded/rex.JPG

Don't be surprised if this incident hits you like a ton of bricks later today...you may still be running on adrenaline.

There might be some PTSD. Get professional help or surround yourself with caring friends/family to get through it

Exactly. I was robbed at knife point in the middle of the day. Gman, unless you are Superman watch for an adrenaline fade out.

Ditto all of the above. The wallet and it's contents are replaceable. I'm more concerned about your long range sense of well being. When my house was robbed and vandalized, it was the sense of safety, of peace and contentment that was the hardest to recover. Hugs and best wishes, my friend.

"The man who steals my purse steals trash."

Ben Franklin

Glad to hear you weren't injured.

Had my apartment robbed once. I was a poor student. There wasn't much to steal

and what they took was junk, so I didn't file a police report at the time.

That was a big mistake.

Almost a year later after I had moved away, a stack of my checks that had forged

signatures started showing up all over town. In retrospect they obviously stole a

book of checks from deep in my stack of checkbooks so I hadn't noticed they were

missing after the robbery.

Even though I had closed the bank account when I moved, it still wreaked havoc

on my credit. I had to make a special trip back to that town to file a police report

at the local police station IN PERSON, then write about 20 letters to idiot companies

that took personal checks without verifying them for things like $3,000 worth

of sneakers...$5,000 worth of car parts...$10,000 worth of stereo equipment!

It enraged me that the those companies were stupid enough to accept checks for

pounds and pounds of goods that are so easy to sell on the street, but I was the one having

to do all the work to clear my name. And it was WORK. All in all it took well over 2 years

to get all my credit reports cleared up. Thankfully I wasn't trying to buy a house or

car at the time, I would have been screwed!

On place even tried to make me show up at their office to prove I wasn't the one who wrote

the check. Again, I already lived hundreds of miles away and I had already had to make one

trip back to that god forsaken town to file my police report. Thankfully a copy of my real

driver's license was sufficient. Let's just say I'm a different race and sex than the person

who used my checks....lmao.

Just a cautionary tale about how one stolen checkbook can ruin your credit for years

even if the bank account has already been closed.

GMan,

I just saw this (slept in today). I am so sorry this happened to you. I am very glad you are physically well and escaped having lost only your wallet and its contents. That is a pain in the butt to deal with, but certainly better than the pain associated with being physically harmed.

It is true: you might be operating on adrenaline right now and might crash later. You also might not. Please don't feel like something is wrong if, in fact, you do not experience a crash or symptoms of PTSD. Everyone is different. Only time will tell. Nonetheless, reach out to friends and family for support. That includes us in the Forum.

Archived