I Was Robbed!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2972 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For the future, it might help to have a cash stash hidden at home for emergencies. When I had some cabinet work done during a home remodeling a few years back, I had the cabinet maker put in a secret compartment. Even without such a formal place, I have had friends hide money in their freezer or there are products you can buy like a phony wall socket that lifts up to reveal a hidden compartment.

It doesn't have to be much money but just enough to get you through an emergency like you had. In addition, valuable things like your passport can be hidden there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the future, it might help to have a cash stash hidden at home for emergencies. When I had some cabinet work done during a home remodeling a few years back, I had the cabinet maker put in a secret compartment. Even without such a formal place, I have had friends hide money in their freezer or there are products you can buy like a phony wall socket that lifts up to reveal a hidden compartment.

It doesn't have to be much money but just enough to get you through an emergency like you had. In addition, valuable things like your passport can be hidden there.

Great ideas. I travel a lot so a few years ago I got into the habit of spreading a few hundred dollars and spare credit cards in different bags so if I lost one I'd have money in the others. I've never had an issue with hotel workers that have access to rooms but they'd have to take the entire bag. If I'm traveling for a while and have a lot of cash I do use the in room safe. I also have pictures of my drivers license and passport along with credit card numbers on my phone.

I wonder if homeowners or auto insurance cover any losses from a robbery like this.

Great ideas. I travel a lot so a few years ago I got into the habit of spreading a few hundred dollars and spare credit cards in different bags so if I lost one I'd have money in the others. I've never had an issue with hotel workers that have access to rooms but they'd have to take the entire bag. If I'm traveling for a while and have a lot of cash I do use the in room safe. I also have pictures of my drivers license and passport along with credit card numbers on my phone.

I wonder if homeowners or auto insurance cover any losses from a robbery like this.

Having pictures of the driver's license, passport, credit cards on your phone is good but let me add one more thing: a picture of your checked luggage. If lost, it helps the airline identify your bags.

Having pictures of the driver's license, passport, credit cards on your phone is good but let me add one more thing: a picture of your checked luggage. If lost, it helps the airline identify your bags.

Where would you give it to them? Often there's only a website with descriptive items on it to make the claim with.

Gman

What are castle laws?

Your home is your castle, and you are allowed to defend it by shooting someone if they invade it. I'm not sure every state has them. And if they do, they are probably different from state to state.

Gman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

In some cases they fail into entrapment, but the prosecutors have the duty to prove it was a set up.

But he says if someone lures a thief into his garage, it's much harder to say he felt an immediate threat.

"Is it reasonable to use force to defend your house, when you've basically brought someone into your house?" King-Ries says "It's not like somebody's just suddenly there."

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/20/372136054/montana-shooter-found-guilty-despite-states-castle-doctrine

http://policestatedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/castle.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/12/01/06/2EF38B4C00000578-3340288-image-a-39_1448952830780.jpg

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/12/castle-doctrine-10.jpg

Stand your ground states

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1akjchifp1qmaoalo1_r1_1280.png

Insult to injury-I'm at the bank right now. I'm ordering new checks, but their normal delivery time is 10 business days. To rush the checks to me is a fee of from $50 to $55 dollars. I'm going to see if there are local printers I can get checks from. Thank gosh for temporary debit cards.

One nice thing-Wells Fargo--you can put pictures on your debit card. They've had the service for a while now, but I've never used it before. They only have 8 University Logos though . They only offer two Texas Universities. And instead of the two being UT and A&M as most of the time in cases like this the offerings would be, one of them is my alma mater for a change.

(Oh and the 'nice' personal banker has a cough. She politely is coughing in her hands. But she's also using that hand to handle my passport and new debit card.:confused:)

Now I'm on to be gouged at the driver's license place next. The local one is closed today. Luckily the next one nearest me is only 12 miles away.

Gman

Insult to injury-I'm at the bank right now. I'm ordering new checks, but their normal delivery time is 10 business days. To rush the checks to me is a fee of from $50 to $55 dollars. I'm going to see if there are local printers I can get checks from. Thank gosh for temporary debit cards.

Ask the bank for counter checks.

Ask the bank for counter checks.

Better yet, just bank on line. If you have payees that don't accept electronic payments, the bank will mail a check out to that payee for free.

Sorry to hear about your being robbed, Gman. Sounds terrifying. I was assaulted on the street twice (never with a weapon, though), and one of the most difficult things is regaining your sense of general well being.

Where would you give it to them? Often there's only a website with descriptive items on it to make the claim with.

Gman

Most airports have a service office near the luggage carousels to report missing bags. You can show the picture to the person there for a more accurate description of the lost bags.

As far as the trollery goes you also have the freedom to just ignore me btw..

In fact if you had reading comprehension skills designed to elucidate rather than antagonize, you would have noted the full quote at the start of that use of trollery: "I was not going to engage this bit of trollery but...." making your comment unnecessary rather than just worthless.

For now, I prefer to ignore judiciously,( how you doing jjk?) and to continue to evaluate whether your posts univerally are worthy of being ignored based on just plain ignorance or if they bring ignorance to a special level which needs others to bear witness, So far, for me, your ignorance is not total and complete, but do not be concerned about my awareness of how to ignore you. I await your "Yo Mama" joke.

You know thinking about my recent singular experience in light of this whole mixed-up crazy cosmic universe we inhabit, it was probably a good thing that happened.

You see my wallet in addition to looking like George C's was falling apart. But I was having trouble making myself clean it out and put things in a new one. And what makes my resistance to change even more ridiculous, I had a fresh unused wallet sitting around begging me to be used and put into my back right pocket (is there possibly a wallet equivalent of the hanky code (which by the way I've never known)?)

So now I have a lovely, fresh-I might even say virginal:rolleyes:-wallet getting to know my right 'cheek':eek: on a close-up and personal basis without having to go through all the stress of cleaning out the old one.

Is this a great world, or what!!!!:p

Gman

"You must ignore your fear. When you're afraid, you can't act - you can't act, you can't defend - you can't defend, you die!'

Well if we are quoting aphorisms, how about...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Gman

In fact if you had reading comprehension skills designed to elucidate rather than antagonize, you would have noted the full quote at the start of that use of trollery: "I was not going to engage this bit of trollery but...." making your comment unnecessary rather than just worthless.

For now, I prefer to ignore judiciously,( how you doing jjk?) and to continue to evaluate whether your posts univerally are worthy of being ignored based on just plain ignorance or if they bring ignorance to a special level which needs others to bear witness, So far, for me, your ignorance is not total and complete, but do not be concerned about my awareness of how to ignore you. I await your "Yo Mama" joke.

Bla bla bla. Allot of thought put into all that for little ol me. I'm glad you value my contribution here too. Lol

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Gman

Good quote, thanks Paul. I mean Usul. I mean Muad'dib...

Gman

Good quote, thanks Paul. I mean Usul. I mean Muad'dib...

Please, just Muad to my friends!!:)

Gman (Muad'dib)

You know thinking about my recent singular experience in light of this whole mixed-up crazy cosmic universe we inhabit, it was probably a good thing that happened.

You see my wallet in addition to looking like George C's was falling apart. But I was having trouble making myself clean it out and put things in a new one. And what makes my resistance to change even more ridiculous, I had a fresh unused wallet sitting around begging me to be used and put into my back right pocket (is there possibly a wallet equivalent of the hanky code (which by the way I've never known)?)

So now I have a lovely, fresh-I might even say virginal:rolleyes:-wallet getting to know my right 'cheek':eek: on a close-up and personal basis without having to go through all the stress of cleaning out the old one.

Is this a great world, or what!!!!:p

Gman

This proves my philosophy that usually something good comes out of something bad... and if not at first usually one can find a way to turn something seemingly bad into something good!

Now I get all confused with the hanky code and colors, but in the leather world left is top and right is bottom. So if your wallet is leather or at least black wearing it in your right pocket makes you a sub. A few years ago I switched to wearing my wallet on my left side because the sciatica that I developed on my right side made sitting with the wallet pressing against the piriformis muscle of my butt unbearable. Shortly thereafter I suddenly became interested in playing the Dom, so there just might be something to it after all!

Archived