Vet comforts scared abandoned dog

geminibear
This topic is 3065 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Heart-warming moment vet comforts a scared, abandoned dog by sitting in its cage and eating breakfast alongside it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3450589/The-adorable-moment-veterinarian-comforts-scared-abandoned-dog-sitting-cage-eating-breakfast-alongside-it.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/17/07/314E6F5F00000578-3450589-Breakfast_The_video_opens_with_Dr_Andy_Mathis_sitting_down_to_br-a-34_1455692797077.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/17/07/314E6F7800000578-3450589-image-a-39_1455692818164.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adopt a shelter animal.

Times 1000 :) And spay/neuter your pets. Where I live, and likely in many other areas since we're slowly getting smarter about controlling dog/cat populations, dogs and cats need to be licensed/vaccinated/neutered/spayed. An animal that isn't neutered/spayed has to have been issued a permit from the city exempting it. There are lots of local organizations that will spay/neuter/examine/vaccinate for nearly free for people who aren't well off. Our current rescue (best dog in the world) was $190 which included the cost to spay, vaccinate, examine twice for health (before adoption and 30 days after), micro chipping and 60 days of free health care insurance (offered through a pet insurance company that wants people to pay for beyond the first 60 days). The shelter is no kill. We were so impressed we made a four figure donation on our second visit. Yes, those of you who pay taxes helped cover that tax deductible contribution :)

you guys and gals are pushing me precariously close to getting myself another dog....I swear I'm going to do it.....

(trouble is I'm gone at times for days on end and often go to places where dogs aren't allowed....and don't want to rely on others to take care of a dog and I don't want to put one in a kennel)

Hugs to Gemini.

How about an update and pix about Julia?

Sorry [uSER=9945]@funguy[/uSER] from what I could find, it looks like Julia is doing well and will be up for adoption soon. :D Thanks for caring.

Once she's recovered, Julia will be placed in a foster home through A.R.T. N Paws Animal Rescue, where, whatever species she is, she'll have two wolf hybrid siblings to play with. To support Julia's recovery and those of other dogs like her, you can make a donation to Hope for Paws or A.R.T. N Paws

Wolf hybrids maintain many of the characteristics of their wild relatives, and because so few owners are prepared to care for them, they often wind up the victims of neglect and abuse. If you'd like to bring a more appropriate pet into your home, you can visit Adopt-a-Pet.com.

980x.jpg980x.jpg

Sorry [uSER=9945]@funguy[/uSER] from what I could find, it looks like Julia is doing well and will be up for adoption soon. :D Thanks for caring.

Once she's recovered, Julia will be placed in a foster home through A.R.T. N Paws Animal Rescue, where, whatever species she is, she'll have two wolf hybrid siblings to play with. To support Julia's recovery and those of other dogs like her, you can make a donation to Hope for Paws or A.R.T. N Paws

Wolf hybrids maintain many of the characteristics of their wild relatives, and because so few owners are prepared to care for them, they often wind up the victims of neglect and abuse. If you'd like to bring a more appropriate pet into your home, you can visit Adopt-a-Pet.com.

980x.jpg980x.jpg

Hope for Paws

JULIA'S DNA TEST RESULTS JUST ARRIVED!!!

Before I tell you the results, I'll tell you that I looked at a bunch of DNA test results (for different dogs), and usually there are TWO or THREE main breeds, and then there are traces of FIVE other breeds.

Julia's test results were different!!

Just two breeds!

No traces of anything else - she is a pure mix smile emoticon

OK, last chance to guess! Done?

Alright - now click here for the results: Eldad Hagar

12771768_1220817274599625_8783340811989332071_o.jpg

Also, two days ago I posted a NEW rescue video. Special thanks to The Dodo for sharing the story and the video:

https://www.thedodo.com/benji-dog-makeover-1577912156.html

you guys and gals are pushing me precariously close to getting myself another dog....I swear I'm going to do it.....

(trouble is I'm gone at times for days on end and often go to places where dogs aren't allowed....and don't want to rely on others to take care of a dog and I don't want to put one in a kennel)

If your travels are in the US you could say the pup is a service animal. By law the pup can go anywhere you go and they can't ask you what he/she is assisting you with nor ask you to have it demonstrate its abilities.

Hugs,

Greg

Update on Graycie. Looks like finding her a good home won't be a problem once Dr. Mathis concludes she is ready.

"Along with the countless phonecalls from people wanting to praise Dr. Mathis for his compassion, numerous callers from around the nation have also offered to adopt Graycie. “I’ve been offered $2,500 for her,” said Mathis. “But she’s not ready.” Mathis tells everyone who calls, regardless of their location, the same thing. “There are a thousand dogs just like her out there needing adoption,” he said. “Some of them are within a 10 minute drive from where you live.” Mathis also has a charity fund set up for those wishing to support his work with rescue dogs. “If it had not been for people donating to the charity fund, it’s likely I would have had to put her down,” said Mathis. And now, more than four million people who have seen Graycie are glad he did not as well."

I had the same thoughts before we got our current dog. Its a tough decision for many people like you and so I think "it depends" on how often you'd be away. I know some people who have jobs that require weekly travel and so that (I think) is too much for a dog to deal with. When we have to be away and can't take our dog with us (much easier today than years ago), we decided on a kennel. Reason is she is watched over most of the day and the facility has a vet on site. When we drop her off we don't even get a good bye as she strains to get to the play area. She plays all day long, gets the use of a swimming pool, yogurt treats, dog DVDs and there is a camera we can see her on via a website. Yes, its expensive but the bill helps alleviate my guilt. When we pick her up, she gives us a really harsh cold shoulder treatment for about five minutes. I'll admit to having had a freakish concern before her first one week stay and so I brought her to the kennel for a few days of day camp and then an overnight a few times. In my mind I had to convince myself that process assured her that while she was being dropped off we were always coming back for her.

Some alternatives I see others use is having friends stay at their home, employing a dog sitter that will either visit or stay at your house or dropping their dog off at a sitters house. These options, from what I see quoted on line, are less costly than the kennel we use.

One thing we told ourselves before our last adoption was "the dog is in a shelter so how is the periodic stay at a luxury kennel worse when in return she'll get a good home, love, dog health insurance, money in our will (yes my kids know that), natural food, daily walks, toys, vacations, lots of trips to the dog park (unbelievable how many friends we've made at the dog park), etc., etc.?".

I really applaud you for asking yourself if adopting a dog is right for you. Too many people don't ask themselves and then give them up (something I understand may be better for the dog but I struggle with).

thanks for the suggestion on the "service dog" idea, @seaboy4hire, but I think that is one of the biggest rackets existing today.....I love dogs and don't mind them anywhere, but the sense of self-entitlement some have who want to bring their little baby pooch with them anywhere, when they are entirely capable, is utter selfishness....you can buy a "service dog" vest on ebay for $30 or something

I have four service dogs: One allows me to clean, by making a mess. One allows me to cook, by eating only fresh chicken. One allows enhancement of my social interactions, by running away and forcing me to ask people if they have seen my dog. And Bear, my big beautiful black Bear allows me to test my sense of smell but passing gas of various octanes throughout the day and night. In fact, Bear is testing me right now and this one is definitely high octane.

thanks for the suggestion on the "service dog" idea, @seaboy4hire, but I think that is one of the biggest rackets existing today.....I love dogs and don't mind them anywhere, but the sense of self-entitlement some have who want to bring their little baby pooch with them anywhere, when they are entirely capable, is utter selfishness....you can buy a "service dog" vest on ebay for $30 or something

When flying my pooch cross-country once, I didn't want to put her in cargo, and it was suggested that I get service dog papers. When all was said and done, I just couldn't do it. AA was absolutely amazing, and she survived the journey, but you are right azdr, I have little patience for those who skirt the law regarding service-dogs...OR Handicap Parking...don't even get me started on that one.

That said...there are numerous kennels that do not use cages. They separate the dogs by size and allow the dogs to run free, indoors and outdoors 24 hours a day. A weeks stay is about 500 dollars including food, and a free grooming session at the beginning or the end of your pets stay. If I keep her there longer, they drop the price of the daily fee 20% and throw in one free day. It's just a cost that I include in my travel. It's really not bad, and worth it when you realize that your pet is safe and in the hands of professionals, with access to a veterinarian if need be.

Another friend has a close relationship with his neighbors, and always brings in one of them to house sit, or you can hire a professional dog sitter. That way your pet stays at home. The cost for that is about the same as a kennel, or significantly cheaper if you only want them to come by 3-4 times a day to feed, play and walk your pet. Lots of options. If you want a dog, I would encourage to get one. I do know that you travel a lot, but think about how you can get a dog in your life. There are so many that need a good home. Good luck...

I believe you do a lot of travel by driving and there are now a lot more dog friendly hotels along the roads.

Although I do not see you as a small dog kind of guy, a dog small enough to fit into a carrier which may be placed under an airline seat might allow you to travel by air and have a dog.

Archived