Do people take the train in the USA?

Wolfer
This topic is 3192 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know this may sound like a silly question, but from what I've been able to deduce (from friends travelling in the US) is that Americans either take their car, the plane or the bus.

Like, for instance, if you'd wanna go to the beach, would you (be able to) take a train, or just a car? And if it's too far, fly in first?

This question's been on my mind since taking the train seems like it happens much more over here in Europe.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is difficult to just hop on a train and go somewhere they way you would in Europe. In the early 20th century, the US had an extensive rail network, but it was dismantled in the 1950s and replaced with a system of interstate highways. You can travel long distances on the train e.g from New York to LA, and in the northeast there is passenger service between Boston, New York and DC. In the New York City area, lots of people get to and from work on commuter trains, but that's about it. Here in the Bay area, people travel between San Jose and San Francisco on Caltrain. We're hoping that part of the climate initiatives will be to revitalize the national rail network, but there is a huge amount to be done.

varies greatly depending on density of urban development.....

in the northeast part of the country, very densely developed, many take trains, subways, buses, etc. because of crowded roads and limited parking.....daily commuting by mass transit is common there....outside the NE, only the largest, most densely developed cities have mass transit commonly used - Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles

cars, often with only one occupant, are very common in most other areas....

As a foreigner who has travelled in the US, yes you can take the train. But unlike Europe they don't go everywhere. There are rail services of various standards in cities, especially in the north-east. Also, in the north-east there are more intercity trains. Elsewhere there may be train services but only one a day, and between a limited number of destinations. Buses and aeroplanes are more likely to cover where you want to go.

I know this may sound like a silly question, but from what I've been able to deduce (from friends travelling in the US) is that Americans either take their car, the plane or the bus.

Like, for instance, if you'd wanna go to the beach, would you (be able to) take a train, or just a car? And if it's too far, fly in first?

This question's been on my mind since taking the train seems like it happens much more over here in Europe.

Adding to what others have said about the rail corridor in the Northeast and public transit (including by commuter train) rail is somewhat popular when traveling between the coastal California cities of San Diego and Los Angeles, with stops in between. Likewise, rail travel is also popular when traveling between Chicago and Milwaukee in the upper eastern Midwest and between Chicago and Central Illinois.

As a former European , now American, I can say that from a European perspective, no we do not take the train here.

If we go somewhere we take the car, if we go far and do not want to drive then we fly and rent a car at arrival,

or if the budget is limited we take the grey hound bus.

Without a car you are stranded here, unless you live in a big city with subway/buss.

Adding to what others have said about the rail corridor in the Northeast and public transit (including by commuter train) rail is somewhat popular when traveling between the coastal California cities of San Diego and Los Angeles, with stops in between. Likewise, rail travel is also popular when traveling between Chicago and Milwaukee in the upper eastern Midwest and between Chicago and Central Illinois.

Methinks the train to Central Illinois would be less traveled, were it not for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne. (I think Champagne-Urbana sounds so much better, but the University offices are in Urbana, so there you are.) Also known as Chambana and Urpagne.

Las Vegas doesn't have a train station. To get to say Palm Springs; I'd have to take a hour and a half mile ride to Needles, CA and then then the 2 hours train to a platform in the middle of the desert, and finally a 10 minute ride to downtown.

On the other hand If I just drive to Palm Springs, it's about a four hour drive that if I take the back way goes through some of prettiest desert around, gives you a chance to cruise down the famous "Highway 66"

Methinks the train to Central Illinois would be less traveled, were it not for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne. (I think Champagne-Urbana sounds so much better, but the University offices are in Urbana, so there you are.) Also known as Chambana and Urpagne.

The state capital is in Springfield, which is located in Central Illinois. Amtrak markets the train service for Central and Southern Illinoisans to see Chicago by offering train/theater and train/museum packages. You can even take a train (and a bus) to the beach!

That would be Champaign. Not Champagne.

Things may have changed in the last decade, but there used to be only two trains/day between Chicago and New Orleans, stopping in Champaign. Both tended to be quite full every day. One accepted general seating (cattle call) and one was reserved seating only.

Greyhound bus service was more readily available. But these days there's so much construction on I-57 between Champaign and Chicago even that can't be a pleasant trip.

Things may have changed in the last decade, but there used to be only two trains/day between Chicago and New Orleans, stopping in Champaign. Both tended to be quite full every day. One accepted general seating (cattle call) and one was reserved seating only.

I'm almost positive the "City of New Orleans" has been the only train that has gone from Chicago to New Orleans, once a day, for the last several decades. The other trains that head down that track, the Saluki and the Illini, stop in Carbondale in southern Illinois.

I'm almost positive the "City of New Orleans" has been the only train that has gone from Chicago to New Orleans, once a day, for the last several decades. The other trains that head down that track, the Saluki and the Illini, stop in Carbondale in southern Illinois.

I feel a song coming on...

The number of train lines which have good, reliable, and prompt service in the US can be counted on the fingers of one's hands. I will leave out many commuter services of little interest to most tourists, including good commuter rail services around New York City, Boston, Chicago, DC, and San Francisco.

1. NYC-Philadelphia-Wilmington-Baltimore-DC

2. NYC-New Haven-Providence-Boston

3. Chicago-Milwaukee

4. San Diego-Los Angeles (the Pacific Surfliners)

5. San Jose-Oakland-Sacramento (the Capitol Corridor)

6. Oakland-Fresno-Bakersfield (the San Joaquins)

7. Philadelphia-Lancaster-Harrisburg (Keystone service)

If I've missed any, someone may correct me. The only service I can think of which serves beach cities is, as its names implies, the Pacific Surfliner. Yes, you can also take the LIRR to Sayville in order to catch the ferry to Fire Island (I've never been there). I'm sorry that for the most part, it's not as easy as taking the train from Brussel Zuid to Knokke or De Panne...

Pacific_Surfliner_%40_San_Clemente_CA..jpg

110725_Adinkerke_IMG_0301.JPG

132-F.jpg

Nothing like the Belgian coast tram...

The Coast Tram (Dutch: Kusttram) is a public transport service connecting the cities and towns along the entire Belgian (West Flanders) coast, between De Panne near the French border and Knokke-Heist. At 68 km (42 miles) in length, it is the longest tram line in the world, as well as one of the few interurban tramways in the world to remain in operation. The line is built at 1,000 mm (3 ft 33⁄8 in) metre gauge and fully electrified at 600 VDC.

Kusttram2.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all the info! Yeah, the trains in Europe are quite handy (even if there's lots of delays). I always used to take the train to De Panne when visiting the Belgian seaside. :D

Ah, that brings back memories. We even had an LGBT youth group day trip once to De Panne.

At the end the guys took a swim in the sea. It was quite a pleasant sight!

I used to take the LIRR train to Jones Beach and to the ferry to Fire Island, but offhand I can't think of anywhere else where one can "take a train to the beach."
You can take a train from NYC and get to the Jersey Shore. The Long Branch Station, for example, is walking distance from the beach.

i have also travelled to Miami from NYC, though not specifically to the beach. In general though, train riding, belongs to a different eras here in the US. A bygone era of elegant trains and possibly a future era of bullet trains.

As a NYC resident, I ride subways all the time. I stopped flying to DC or Boston years ago; Amtrak is much more convenient. Also, train to the plane - I use the train to JFK or Newark Airports, and for trips upstate. (Taxis to LaGuardia, unfortunately, as there is no train connection direct to the airport.)

Archived