Whole Paycheck lives up to its name!

dutchmuch
This topic is 1859 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Noooo, it doesn't show at all!

And I am sufficiently aware to know what you were talking about!!

One newspaper in Melbourne (The Age) is often referred to as the Spencer Street Soviet (its offices were in Spencer Street). It's all fun!

Can't put anything past an Ozzie. :cool:

In fact my longtime business partner in Cambridge grew up in Melbourne and got his engineering degree from "your" MIT.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I feel like spending a ridiculous amount of money needlessly on groceries, then it's Gelsens for me.

I mostly stay out of such places, but now and again, I like to splurge. I kind of like Cal-Mart in the Laurel Heights neighborhood. Down the street from them, there's a place called Bryan's that sells esoteric stuff like real Japanese Kobe beef.

When I lived in Philly, I frequently shopped in Whole Foods, and often ate lunch at the very store in which I suspect WilliamM had his encounter with the security guard. Then I moved to an area of southern CA with no Whole Foods, and often lamented that fact. Recently, WF finally opened a store downvalley, so yesterday I eagerly headed there, prepared to do a big shopping. To my great disappointment, they had very few things I wanted that I couldn't get at my local Ralph's, Von's or Albertson's. I came away with much less than I had intended, yet it still cost me $135. Maybe my memory is colored by nostalgia, but I thought they used to carry a lot more interesting and unique prepared items.

I hate how they pretend to be a health food store.

People think it's healthier there and it's a lie. I still have to read the label of every damned thing in there when I buy it.

As AdamSmith said, I think their greatest contribution is in lifting the conversation. My Safeway didn't have many organics before Whole Foods came to town, and they just started carrying a really good local dairy brand that Whole Foods had for years.

Better options will come along for more knowledgeable shoppers and perhaps Whole Foods will also get better as they try to win over customers like you.

I'm glad more attention is being paid to our food these days, and further hope that more of what we eat will come from small local farms. . http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

4564a692e44e07ef89dbf89d6bb1e996.jpg

Dutchmuch says 'bullshit', these two didn't even mention their nefarious ways in Cali, and subsequent $800k fine.

Whole Foods execs are admitting the chain has been overcharging customers in New York City stores, but promised that if that ever happens again they'll give the food to customers for free.

John Mackey and Walter Robb, co-CEOs of Whole Foods (WFM), apologized to customers in a video filmed in the sliced fruit section of one of their grocery stores. The casually dressed execs admitted that some customers had been accidentally overcharged for sliced fruit, fresh squeezed juices and sandwiches by workers who made errors.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/02/news/companies/whole-foods-overcharge-apology/

"Straight up, we made some mistakes," said Robb,

, kiwis and pineapples. "We want to own that and tell you what we're doing about it."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
there's a reason they call the other one Whole Paycheck.

Unabashed Whole Paycheck shopper here.

Not a fan of Whole Paycheck

Have you ever been to Whole Foods, aka Whole Paycheck?

It’s going to take a lot more than this to shed that “Whole Paycheck” nickname.

Amazon’s price cuts last week at Whole Foods — which claimed discounts of 20 percent on hundreds of items — amounted to a measly drop of 1 percent in the total bill for a typical shopping trip, according to a Wall Street analyst’s report on Monday.

That’s despite Amazon advertising a slew of deals for its Prime members, including slashing the price for a pound for organic strawberries to $2.99 from $5.99; charging $3.99 for a pound of heirloom tomatoes instead of $4.99; and cutting the price of a pound of Pacific cod fillets to $9.99 from $12.99.

The big catch: Amazon has meanwhile hiked prices on a slew of other groceries, mostly beverages, dairy staples and packaged goods.

A 16-ounce bottle of Honest Tea, for example, was $1.49 after last week’s price hikes — up 24 cents from what Whole Foods was charging last August, according to the study released Monday by Chuck Grom, an analyst at Gordon Haskett.

A single Clif Bar, meanwhile, now costs $1.35 — or 40 cents more than in August. A 32-ounce tub of Stonyfield organic yogurt now costs $4.29, 30 cents more than in August, when Grom checked prices last.

The result? Overall price cuts that are “hardly heroic,” according to Grom. A shopping cart of 106 key grocery items at a Whole Foods location in Princeton, NJ, now costs $396.88 — just $3.81 lower than it did before.

To make matters worse, industry experts say that while Amazon has announced price cuts in the past — last week’s was the most extensive, with hundreds of items repriced — the discounts are never permanent.

In fact, many items drift back up to their previous cost or even higher, according to Brittain Ladd, a digital consultant and former Amazon executive.

“There is no corporate policy stating that Whole Foods will keep its prices low on these items,” Ladd told The Post.

“This is a temporary reduction” that is meant to lure more Amazon Prime customers into the stores, Ladd added.

Last week, nearly 500 Whole Foods stores got plastered overnight with dozens of signs touting the reductions.

“Hey Prime members, new lower prices and more deals too. (You’re gonna need a bigger cart.),” declared one banner hung at the top of the escalator at the Bryant Park Whole Foods in Midtown Manhattan.

The aggressive push is likely a response to softening sales at Whole Foods, which Amazon scooped up in August 2017 for $13.7 billion, according to Grom.

“Our data shows that their sales have been softer over the last six to nine months,” Grom said.

A Whole Foods spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment on Monday.

Edited by samhexum

i stopped going to whole foods because the one near me became overrun with pet dogs. i have seen dogs in arms, dogs in baby carriages, and dogs on leashes. i've asked the employees in the store to address the issue and they refuse, and i have complained to both the city (who did an inspection and sent them a citation and told them to fix their problem of pets in a grocery store) and to whole foods corporate (who acknowledge the problem, identify the solution, then - in not as many words - tell me they aren't going to do anything about it). the last time i went to whole foods, there were 3 dogs that i saw - 2 of which were being carried by their handlers. i love dogs, but i don't love dog hair in my food, nor do i love the idea of dog shit in the aisles (yes, i have seeen a dog shit in a grocery store, though it wasn't a whole foods)

i stopped going to whole foods because the one near me became overrun with pet dogs. i have seen dogs in arms, dogs in baby carriages, and dogs on leashes. i've asked the employees in the store to address the issue and they refuse, and i have complained to both the city (who did an inspection and sent them a citation and told them to fix their problem of pets in a grocery store) and to whole foods corporate (who acknowledge the problem, identify the solution, then - in not as many words - tell me they aren't going to do anything about it). the last time i went to whole foods, there were 3 dogs that i saw - 2 of which were being carried by their handlers. i love dogs, but i don't love dog hair in my food, nor do i love the idea of dog shit in the aisles (yes, i have seeen a dog shit in a grocery store, though it wasn't a whole foods)

I assumed bringing dogs into grocery stores wasn't just a San Francisco thing. It's amazing to me that people feel so entitled to bring their dogs with them everywhere now. I think that as recently as 10 years ago you wouldn't see anyone bringing a dog into a grocery store unless it was a service dog, but now everyone under the sun seems to think that their affection for their pet makes that pet an "emotional support dog" and therefore exempt from food safety laws.

While I blame the stores for their lax enforcement, where I live they have a much bigger problem simply keeping out the repeat shoplifters so I'm sure that store management simply feels like posting signs on the doors saying "only service animals allowed; no pets" is the most they can do.

I've seen much worse by humans. Babies spitting up/ screaming at the top of their lungs. Little kids running through the aisles and knocking down displays. Pushing carts into others. Touching everything with dirty hands.

I have never seen that behavior by dogs. I wouldn't take my dogs to any grocery store as I wouldn't expose them to the poor behavior of filthy humans. I take my dog parenting seriously and only want the best for them. They don't scream or cry in public..they never relieve themselves indoors. I don't recall them running wild off-leash at any Whole Foods or Publix.

Keep your kids at home and dogs too!

I assumed bringing dogs into grocery stores wasn't just a San Francisco thing. It's amazing to me that people feel so entitled to bring their dogs with them everywhere now. I think that as recently as 10 years ago you wouldn't see anyone bringing a dog into a grocery store unless it was a service dog, but now everyone under the sun seems to think that their affection for their pet makes that pet an "emotional support dog" and therefore exempt from food safety laws.

I've seen much worse by humans. Babies spitting up/ screaming at the top of their lungs. Little kids running through the aisles and knocking down displays. Pushing carts into others. Touching everything with dirty hands... I have never seen that behavior by dogs.

Mother, son and pet dog attempt to rob Wisconsin Walmart

A woman, her adult son, and a dog named "Bo" caused quite the scene in an Eau Claire, Wisconsin Walmart on April 11.

According to a post on the Eau Claire Police Department's Facebook page, they responded to a Walmart shopping center for reports of a theft.

When they arrived, officers found 46-year-old Lisa Smith screaming in the store's entryway trying to catch her dog, Bo.

While Smith was in the front of the store, her 25-year-old son, Benny Vann, was allegedly naked and exposing himself to customers in the clothing section of the store.

In the course of their investigation, officers discovered that Smith, Vann and an unleashed Bo entered the Walmart around 8:30 p.m.

"While Bo ran up to customers, Smith erratically started pulling apart store displays and placing them in her cart," Eau Claire PD's Facebook post reads.

Smith was asked to leave the store by employees, and headed to the parking lot to perform "karate moves," police say.

Bo, still unleashed and on the loose in the store, grabbed a box of Jiffy Corn Bread Muffin Mix and attempted to leave the store, according to police.

Police arrested Smith in the parking lot, but say she did fight with officers and attempt to "kick out a window" on a responding squad car.

As Smith was being arrested, her son, Vann, moved to the back of the store and began to remove his clothing, police say. He also began to take clothing off the racks, but had no intention of purchasing said clothing, according to police.

"When officers approached Vann, he refused to stop and attempted to run over an officer with his scooter," the Facebook post notes. However, an officer was able to physically stop Vann's scooter and arrest him.

Eau Claire Police say Smith was arrested for Disorderly Conduct, resisting arrest, and misdemeanor bail jumping.

Vann was arrested for lewd and lascivious behavior, disorderly conduct and retail theft.

Bo was caught by responding officers and taken to the Humane Association.

"The dog was not charged," police said. "We issued him a warning for the theft."

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/14/1413285220180_wps_37_MANDATORY_CREDIT_Mike_Rui.jpg

Christian-Power-Bodybuilder-Naked-and-Cute-Dog-Riley.jpg

0cda45b08a296c6cb5c8a1804d90da2f--men-and-dogs-hunks-men.jpg

ad148783218mandatory-credit.jpg

This actually just happened to me. They charged organic prices on nonorganic produce and charged me for expensive chanterelle mushrooms when I got regular white mushrooms. The last one was a huge price difference..the chanterelles were $8.99 a pound while the white mushrooms I purchased were only $1.99 a pound. I went back and the refund for all the mistakes was nearly $10. It's odd that of course it was always in their favor.

There's not a Whole Foods close to my home, so have never wanted to drive the distance to shop there, but have thought about it. Thanks for all these posts. Won't try and get there anytime soon.

I find myself shopping 3 to 4 stores for certain items I like based on selection, price, and freshness. Late spring till late summer/early fall gives me another option with a farmers market that sets up every Sunday in the commuter parking lot a block from my home.

I mostly stay out of such places, but now and again, I like to splurge. I kind of like Cal-Mart in the Laurel Heights neighborhood. Down the street from them, there's a place called Bryan's that sells esoteric stuff like real Japanese Kobe beef.

i love Bryans. try to stop by there every time i'm in the city. i love to get a pastry or something from their deli counter.