Canned soup anyone?

MiamiLooker
This topic is 3313 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any good canned/boxed soups? Other than Campbell’s tomato or chicken noodle soups (probably because I grew up on them), I’ve not found any ready-made soups that I like.

Campbell's has some slow kettle soups in packages that are actually pretty good. there's also a lobster bisque one that ive tried that comes in a box. not as good as homemade of course, but rather nice.

and there are always the more-expensive, gourmet-ish canned soup brands at places like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's....low sodium ones, too, if that's important.....

These are the ones I buy, and I prefer the boxed ones over the canned. There is a brand called Imagine that makes some good boxed soups. Amy's are also good for canned soups (particularly if you're a veggie) and they have a whole bunch of really good canned chili. I'll pick up some canned Trader Joe's soups for convenience, but they're not my first choice - like rvwnsd just not that impressed with them.

But yeah the sodium, some of these have a lot. For the first time in my life I'm creeping into high blood pressure range, and some of these canned soups are not helpful in that regard!

aaah! Don't get me started.

Bisphenol (BPA), aluminum, preservatives, salt and mystery ingredients are just the start of the list of reasons to not eat canned soup (even the canned stuff labeled "healthy"). Finish up whatever canned soups you have in your cupboard and start buying fresh, locally made soups from your local coop, Wholefoods or someplace comparable. It will come in jars or BPA free containers and with a list of ingredient that you might even recognize.

Unfortunately most all of the canned soups are very high in sodium. I'd like to find some with low sodium that actually taste good and are nutritious at the same time. The same goes for chili.

Amy's does have a couple of varieties available in low sodium versions.

Guest Starbuck

Canned soup is about convenience. When I want that convenience, Progresso Tomato Basil is my choice. But how hard is it to make a big pot of soup and have something healthy and better-tasting on hand? (Not a cook? Even so, not hard.) Freeze some of it; nothing is easier to thaw and heat than soup ... speaking of convenience. Same deal with chili.

Hey Starbuck, I completely agree with you about making your own soup. Folks who are intimidated by cooking would be surprised how easy it is to make delicious and healthy soup. As long as you don't get too creative (at least at first), it's almost impossible to mess up a soup recipe.

It's not making soup that's hard - it's having all the ingredients on hand that's hard.

I looked at a few online recipes for tomato basil soup. Here are the ingredients for the simplest one:

2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth

18 to 20 fresh basil leaves, minced

1 teaspoon sugar

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 cup butter

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/six-ingredient-basil-tomato-soup

I don't have heavy cream on hand - it's perishable, and I don't use it often. I don't have fresh basil on hand, but I could grow some if I thought I would use it regularly. I'd have to make my soup when basil is in season. I would have butter and sugar.

The other two ingredients are canned. I don't see why using two canned ingredients in a soup would make it healthier or better tasting than buying soup in the first place. Having the individual ingredients on hand gives you more options, there are other soups and sauces you could make some of those ingredients, but flexible is not the same as healthy.

If you have an organic garden and a chicken coop out back, and a cow in the back 40, then yes, the soup you make will be better than anything out of a can. Unfortunately, I'm not Martha Stewart.

It's not making soup that's hard - it's having all the ingredients on hand that's hard.

I looked at a few online recipes for tomato basil soup. Here are the ingredients for the simplest one:

2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth

18 to 20 fresh basil leaves, minced

1 teaspoon sugar

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 cup butter

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/six-ingredient-basil-tomato-soup

I don't have heavy cream on hand - it's perishable, and I don't use it often. I don't have fresh basil on hand, but I could grow some if I thought I would use it regularly. I'd have to make my soup when basil is in season. I would have butter and sugar.

The other two ingredients are canned. I don't see why using two canned ingredients in a soup would make it healthier or better tasting than buying soup in the first place. Having the individual ingredients on hand gives you more options, there are other soups and sauces you could make some of those ingredients, but flexible is not the same as healthy.

If you have an organic garden and a chicken coop out back, and a cow in the back 40, then yes, the soup you make will be better than anything out of a can. Unfortunately, I'm not Martha Stewart.

I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for lobster bisque? I cant get enough of it. id shank a bitch for some :)

aaah! Don't get me started.

Bisphenol (BPA), aluminum, preservatives, salt and mystery ingredients are just the start of the list of reasons to not eat canned soup (even the canned stuff labeled "healthy"). Finish up whatever canned soups you have in your cupboard and start buying fresh, locally made soups from your local coop, Wholefoods or someplace comparable. It will come in jars or BPA free containers and with a list of ingredient that you might even recognize.

You can find some soups in Tetra Pak containers, which don't have BPA. Progresso, mentioned here earlier, supposedly has several varieties, and there are other manufacturers. http://www.tetrapak.com/about-tetra-pak/cases/soup-in-tetra-recart

If you're making your own soup from prepared ingredients, you can get both tomatoes and chicken broth in Tetra Pak. And Trader Joe's sells little trays of frozen garlic and basil.

I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for lobster bisque? I cant get enough of it. id shank a bitch for some :)

I love lobster bisque. If we're ever in the same room and there's only one serving left, you'd better hope your shank is bigger than mine!

But don't count on it.

Have a Crock pot? Hard to beat a homemade soup... (Ask if you want more)

A pressure cooker is even better and quicker!

That being said, I'm a great cook and like doing it, but I do not always have the time to cook. Also, there are times when I want a quick lunch at work and grabbing a can of soup out of my office credenza is the difference between going to the all-organic deli in my building and spending $6 for a cup of soup and having a quick lunch in three minutes.

I like Wolfgang Puck's soups and Amy's, but the former are hard to find, and the latter often have a lot of onion, which can sometimes overwhelm the other flavors. Also, both brands offer only a few varieties, so I usually end up buying Progresso. I have usually been disappointed with Trader Joe's. If you happen to be one of those lucky enough to have access to a Fresh & Easy market, they have fresh soups, in plastic containers, that are often very good.

Canned soup is about convenience. When I want that convenience, Progresso Tomato Basil is my choice. But how hard is it to make a big pot of soup and have something healthy and better-tasting on hand? (Not a cook? Even so, not hard.) Freeze some of it; nothing is easier to thaw and heat than soup ... speaking of convenience. Same deal with chili.

All canned soups do is relieve hunger. There's not a whit of satisfaction to be had from them.

All canned soups do is relieve hunger. There's not a whit of satisfaction to be had from them.

The era they hail from, and about what they're good for:

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/cdmuseum2/supply/food/cracker1a.jpg

http://www.thedomesticatedbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/falloutshelter-300x237.jpg

Archived