NBC Hunk..David Bloom..39yrs dies

Godiva
This topic is 7740 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As you all have heard by now..NBC reporter David Bloom died early on Sunday of basically a blood clot. They said that his working conditions could have created this clot which eventually killed him..

I have to admit that I have had a crush on him ever since he joined NBC. I think he was Gorgeous and had the most amazing voice. I will miss him and I wish his family the best..Fortunately there are 2 other hunks on NBC..Rob Morrison and Brian Williams..ouch

He was only 39yrs...I have never heard of this condition before ..have any of you??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>I agree with you, he was a damn good reporter and a cute guy.

Actually, he was a lousy reporter, and won't be much missed or long remembered. Don't you recall how he got the job in the first place in 1991 taking over from Arthur Kent, a real journalist, and the first scud stud? Bloom was chosen because he caused no offense to the Pentagon and supposedly had as much eye appeal as Arthur Kent.

Guest Bitchboy

Yes, Bloom was a great looking guy and a personable and charismatic reporter. He came to prominence with the hurricane in Florida in 1989 (was it Hurricane Arthur?) when he confronted looters carrying out appliances and goods from ravaged commerical outlets. He moved to NBC in 1991 and eventually covered the OJ trial before moving on to White House correspondent. He often butted heads with the two dudes who were press secretaries to Clinton. His war coverage was first-rate and the watermark for many other reporters. He will be sorely missed, a feeling that will most likely never be had about some posters.

Guest fukamarine

>I agree with you, he was a damn good reporter and a cute guy.

> Also agree with you about the other 2 reporters,

>Brian and Rob. They are very easy to watch !! :9

I agree - very easy to watch. But my all time favorite must be Bill Hemmer on CNN. To me, he comes as close to perfection as it gets. And Anderson Cooper isn't too hard on the eyes either, despite his greying hair. And I have heard it reported that he is on our team too!

In addition to his looks, he must be loaded, having Gloria Vanderbilt as a mother.

Stange - but none of the reports I have read re Dvid Bloom's death mention any next if kin. No mention of wife and kids. Was he single?

fukamarine

>He was only 39yrs...I have never heard of this condition

>before ..have any of you??

It is my understanding he died from a Pulmonary Embolism which would have involved a lung artery. An embolism can be any number of foreign bodies in the Artery, including air or fat but A clot of blood is probably the most common, that creates a blockage. Embolisms are not an uncommon occurance, especially after some sort of surgery, but do not always result in death. Since the onset can be very sudden, being in a remote area probably sealed his fate.

Here you go fukamarine,

NEW YORK, April 6 — David Bloom, an NBC News correspondent traveling with the U.S. Army’s 3rd Infantry Division outside Baghdad, died Sunday, NBC announced. Bloom, a 39-year-old husband and father of three, died of an apparent pulmonary embolism, the company said. He was the second American journalist to die in Iraq since the war began.

from http://www.msnbc.com

I agree with everyone elses favorites. Anderson Cooper btw is mentioned in a thread on muscleservice.com as being a regular at Swinging Richards in Atlanta and sadly considered a poor tipper. A completely gratuitious yet I thought funny slam. Who knows maybe its true:P

With all the war coverage I am missing out on my fav. cable news hunk Dan Abrams. I have been sending him regular emails suggesting he wear a tank top or sleeveless t-shirt for his on camera reports but so far no luck. If he ever replies I'll be sure to let you know:+

Jeff

On the Today Show this morning 4/7, Matt Lauer and a doctor were intimating that the cause of David Bloom's condition was the cramped condition he was working and living in, which was the "Bloom-mobile," the high-tech mobile device that he helped to design. It allowed he and NBC to shoot back the stunning "on the road" shots from Iraq and the 3rd division and the moving reports where he would take off his headsets and let a serviceperson speak to his family.

Lauer and the doctor compared Bloom's cramped condition to flying on very long trips while sitting in cramped coach seats. They encouraged people on such flights to get up and walk around often to keep the circulation flowing in the legs.

David Bloom was extremely devoted to his family - a wife and two young girls -and was an outstanding reporter and broadcaster.

I have admired his balanced reporting, quick thinking and warm style for a long time.

>Lauer and the doctor compared Bloom's cramped condition to flying on very long trips while sitting in cramped coach seats. They encouraged people on such flights to get up and walk around often to keep the circulation flowing in the legs.

This is commonly called "Ecomony Class Syndrome" and is very common for older travelers or those with decreased circulation problems.

Below is a link with more information:

http://www.economyclasssyndrome.net/

Although my father was terminally ill with cancer, he died of a blood clot within days after traveling cross country to visit me. His doctors listed this as a contributing factor on his death certificate.

I've since done research and found out this is a common problem particularly for taller travelers like my father. For long flights or when in cramped spaces, I recommend the use of "Travel Socks".

>Would it kill the Airlines to give us more legroom?

Big Guy, I know and feel your pain. I've over 6'4" and have been blessed with "birthing" hips. First Class is acceptable but coach is actually painful for my long legs and wide hips.

I don't agree with the smaller seats but it has the potential of bankrupting the airlines. Consider that they would have to redesign their entire coach section of the aircraft (including the overhead lighting and ventilation system).

Delta, for example, is already cutting flights to fill their planes and try to recoup some of their losses. I don't see how they can afford to redesign the aircraft, fill the seats, and still make money. x(

I don't like the current situation but don't see a cost-effective alternative.

BTW, United Airlines did redesign some seats (I think the first 12 rows) on some aircraft. These are designated as extra legroom seats which you can request when making reservations. I believe they did this before 9/11 and the drop-off in air travel.

Being an FFF (full-figured flier) is no fun!

Actually, age is not always a pre-determining factor, nor height of the person. This syndrome first came to light a few years ago when a young British woman in her early twenties flew from South Africa to London. When she disembarked at Heathrow, she was stricken with an embolism emanating from her legs and died shortly thereafter. This received huge press coverage and the airlines were forced to respond by advising flyers to move around on long flights (although few provided greater leg room).

Whenever I fly, I always request an aisle seat and I get up and walk from one end of the section to the other, sometimes several times per flight. I also stand at the back of the section for awhile and stretch my legs. Never had any problems but it just helps me feel better and reduces fatigue on long flights. Also you get to check out if there are any cute guys aboard.:p

I have the problem sometimes. It depends on the passenger in front of me. I am just on the verge of tall and have long legs. If the passenger in front of me works with me on cranking back the seat I am OK. On the trip back from Sao Paolo to Dulles the passenger in front of me cranked her seat all the way back and did it quickly which did not give me time to move my knees. I asked her nicely to crank it back 1 or 2 notches and we would be fine. She did and then cranked it back all the way again about 10 minutes later. By the way she was only about 5 feet tall and was sitting with her legs on the seat. I had my seat all the way back and just could not fit. I spent over half the trip back to Dulles standing in the aisles because there were no empty seats. If I sat in the seat under those conditions it felt as if my legs were going to sleep. It would be nice to have about 2 inches more leg room in my case, probably more for taller people.

Guest fukamarine

>Hey onefinger thank you so much for the link.As my handle

>implies I am a big guy and those cross country trips really

>take their toll.Would it kill the Airlines to give us more

>legroom?

Well it might not kill them, but it certainly would cost them more money and with the state of the airline industry these days that ain't going to happen.

Personally I prefer to fly less but fly 1st class. It costs more but God is it ever worth it!

fukamarine

>I don't agree with the smaller seats but it has the potential

>of bankrupting the airlines. Consider that they would have to

>redesign their entire coach section of the aircraft (including

>the overhead lighting and ventilation system).

American has already done it. They've been advertising "more room in coach" for quite a while. I'm sure it's only an extra inch or two, but it really does make a HUGE difference.

For several months, I was flying between O'Hare and LAX frequently. My first couple of flights were on United out of habit until scheduling forced me to book American. That was the last time I flew United! ;-)

I don't know..There was something about the whole world proclaiming "Arthur Kent" the "Scud Stud"..no matter how I tried and I honestly did but he did not do anything for me..go figure..

I felt I discovered David Bloom because no one hyped him..Even now on the news and in the paper they still don't recognize this guys beauty. He reminds me of that college stud named "Biff" that you always wanted..

Brian Williams looks too perfect the air apparent to the male Diva of them all.. Ms Tom Brokaw..He is still gorgeous tho..and then there is my JFK esq Rob Morrison..He is still hott even tho he needs his teeth fixed..I could get lost in his hair tho...

Guest pshaw

I totally agree about American. I fly to Thailand twice a year. Between "free" frequent flier trips in business I fly economy on American even though United usually has flights about $200-$300 cheaper. On the trips in economy I always take American's 777s on the Chicago-Tokyo leg (normally about a 13-hour flight). I enjoy the extra leg room and the fact that along the windows there are only two seats. I would guess that on about half of those flights I have the two seats to myself, even though business class is usually full up.

>American has already done it. They've been advertising "more

>room in coach" for quite a while. I'm sure it's only an extra

>inch or two, but it really does make a HUGE difference.

I think American is doing it for a certain number of seats in economy for which they charge a higher price.

>I have admired his balanced reporting, quick thinking and warm

>style for a long time.

What ever can be said of Mr. Bloom, balanced he was not. In fact, his war coverage was quite typical of the U.S. coverage. For balance as has been suggested in another thread, you have to go to foreign sources like the the CBC, BBC or French tv.

Guest pshaw

I believe that all of American's economy seats are advertised as having the extra room. I think some of the other airlines charge extra for seats called something like "Economy Plus."

Archived