NBC Hunk..David Bloom..39yrs dies

Godiva
This topic is 7740 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanxs nycman for the pic..

I am curious..If David Bloom, an otherwise healthy young man could develop this condition from cramped conditions..why haven't more people in the service died of this...? I am sure he wasn't the only one cramped..unless there is something else they are not saying..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>I am curious..If David Bloom, an otherwise healthy young man could develop this condition from cramped conditions..why haven't more people in the service died of this...? I am sure he wasn't the only one cramped..unless there is something else they are not saying..

G, I'm not sure I have the answer but I did serve on a submarine where the quarters are definately cramped. The military is very strict about the amount of time a single person stands on watch or is in cramped quarters. They routinely get breaks for short periods and usually don't stand watches for more than 6-8 hours at a time.

I understand that Bloom was in a vehicle modified by the network with special gear and equipment not found in the military model. I'm sure it did not go through the ergonomic evaluations required by military equipment. In addition, there was no one else to "spell" or relieve him. Another potential explanation is the "cocoon" syndrome. He probably felt very safe in the equipment and found it to be an emotionally comfortable place in a very scary situation. I honestly think that his death was an accident and feel the blood clot is a very reasonable possibility.

What do you think "they" are not telling us?

RE: NBC Hunk.."Good Pictures, Poor Interpretation"

>It allowed he and NBC to shoot back the stunning

>"on the road" shots from Iraq and the 3rd division and the

>moving reports where he would take off his headsets and let a

>serviceperson speak to his family.

War Is Ugly; Do We Need to See It Up Close on TV?

Fri April 04, 2003 01:44 PM ET

By Steve James

NEW YORK (Reuters) - All war, all the time -- 24-hour coverage of the conflict in Iraq might be good TV, but is it good journalism? With the fog of war still swirling after two weeks, the image for most Americans is of breathless sat-phone reports by correspondents in battle dress "embedded" with troops, and dramatic video of firefights that might be no more than minor skirmishes in the big picture.

Then there are the green "night-vision" shots of shadowy figures moving around, the video-game images of missiles and bombs setting off explosions in Baghdad, endless news conferences and round tables with ex-generals second-guessing the military commanders actually directing the operation.

If journalism is the first draft of history, then some observers believe this is a really rough draft. They cite the overwhelming volume of raw information that unlike World War II or Vietnam bypasses the editing process and bombards viewers with almost too much information to digest.

"I have yet to see any outstanding piece of TV reporting (on the war)," said Todd Gitlin, a professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, who summed up the coverage as: "Good pictures, poor interpretation."

"There is very shriveled interpretation with little investigation of the political and security fallout," said Gitlin, who attributed this to "timidity of the networks imprisoned within the technology.

"Even when the pictures are static -- a long shot of the desert or the skyline of Baghdad -- they are intensely riveted on it and so you get more of a photo album, it's not terribly stimulating or illuminating. It was supposed to be thrilling to show this stuff."

EXPECTATIONS RAISED

Barbie Zelizer, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg School for Communication, said that for a generation raised on television, the nonstop coverage raises expectations that are not necessarily met.

"The expectation of the public is that there will be more news and better, but we are getting the opposite," she said.

Comparing the current war to the 1991 Gulf War and U.S. military operations in Somalia, Kosovo, Panama or Grenada over the last two decades, she said the most significant change is the advent of real-time coverage.

Bob Thompson, a Syracuse University professor of popular culture, agreed. "World War II penetrated everyone's lives, this one is penetrating because of the media presence."

He said World War II coverage was in newspapers, radio and Movietone News at the movie theater. "Now, nuances have been flattened out. There is a sense that we are not getting a whole lot of detailed analysis among the tyranny of visuals."

CONTROVERSIAL EMBEDS

Another controversial issue is embedding reporters with military units -- a departure from previous Pentagon policy.

Gulf War veteran Anthony Swofford wrote in the New York Times magazine on Sunday that reporters are never really accepted in a group of tough fighting men.

The Annenberg School's Zelizer said by allowing reporters in military units, the Pentagon "did what it could for their purposes -- control," especially since a reporter relies on the military unit for his own protection.

"Embedding is not new, we had it in World War II but then it was mostly the wire services, now it's 24/7 satellite beams -- an updated version of what we had in earlier times."

"Embedding is not the devil's work," said Columbia's Gitlin. "I am more troubled by embedded reporters in Washington than with military units. If something momentous happens on the battlefield we might see it, but embedding really only shows the up-closeness of the report."

>I think American is doing it for a certain number of seats in

>economy for which they charge a higher price.

No, it's all seats regardless of price, assuming the aircraft has been retrofitted so.

If you have personal experience otherwise, feel free to advance that knowledge.

My personal experience with American is that I had more leg room for the same (cheaper) air fare than on United, on flights all over the country. It was particularly welcome on a flight from Fort Lauderdale to LAX.

I too thought that David Bloom was a fine-lookin' man and I enjoyed watching him from the time I first saw him reporting on Hurricane Andrew (it was Andrew, not Arthur as someone was trying to remember above). (Just so long as he didn't try to pronounce Ls.) And I agree with (almost all of) the other good-looking reporters that have been mentioned.

But I am surprised that John Roberts of CBS has not been mentioned at all in that company, either here or in another recent thread or threads that dealt with good-looking newsmen. Doesn't anyone agree with me? And, fuk and others, he's a Canuck! Where's your national pride? Ogle Canadian!

Hey Onefinger..as I expected..in todays NY rags they are now saying that David Bloom ignored doctors advice..that he had consulted military doctors and overseas physicians..They suspected DVT, of deep venous throbosis and advised him to seek proper medical attention. Of course he ignored them and continued to work..

As far as lookers..I still think Sam Champion is still viable.On camera Stone Phillips looks good..but I met him in my store up close...he has very strong features, not very handsome..he is definately made up for TV..

an aside..has any of you seen the 10:00 am Peoples Court with Judge Marilyn Million(sp). Her court officer Douglas is "major stud" material. Watch him walk around with his muscles squeezed into his policeman uniform...and that butt is enough for a few of us to feast on for a many days..sorry }(

G, thanks for the update on cause of death. I'm very glad that there doesn't appear to be a cover-up.

But, I do question the value of having so many reporters in the middle of the action. IMHO the minute-by-minute accounts, "Monday Morning Quarterbacking", and instant analysis is not in the public's best interest. I think it's putting us on too much of an emotional roller coaster and, because everyone is going for the ratings, each report is getting more spectacular. It's almost as if they have taken away my option to ignore what's going on. :(

Archived