Hiring last minute because you were cancelled on - & not telling why.

viewing ownly

People handle the disappointment of meet-ups that don't come to fruition different ways. I just please myself, fantasizing of what could've been, and try to see someone else at a different time frame.

I'm guessing that for the majority, they look around to find their second choice on down until they find someone, and go with that. I could never do this because it would be impossible for me to not tell that person "Hey, I was interested in seeing [flaky provider here], but the jerk told me last minute he had a family emergency, so I was wondering if.....". I KNOW this is a terrible introduction to make with anyone, because I've just admitted I'm not wanting seeing them initially.

Has anyone had an experience with, say, choice #6 - and had it be a pleasant surprise? And had the decency to leave that part out of trying find other people unsuccessfully first? It's probably a sad measurable percentage, but there's possibly those who contact a provider and say, "You're the least expensive and attractive person listed - I'm not surprised you're on page 6 listed 145th, but I started my search of guys backwards, and came across you. Are you available?"

I’d rather not know, tbh. I wouldn’t mention it.

At best, it’s neutral (for me it would be). At worst, you start off giving a negative impression to the provider.

A hire is a hire. Your money is as good as anyone else’s. Whether I’m someone’s first choice or their 8th, I want their business and I’m going to do my best to make their time with me worthwhile regardless.

9 minutes ago, Simon Suraci said:

I’d rather not know, tbh. I wouldn’t mention it.

At best, it’s neutral (for me it would be). At worst, you start off giving a negative impression to the provider.

Agree.

The 'why' in this case doesn't matter and will start things off badly.  

Positive clients get repeat visits.  Negative clients are one and done.

59 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

"You're the least expensive and attractive person listed - I'm not surprised you're on page 6 listed 145th, but I started my search of guys backwards, and came across you. Are you available?"

That would probably place said and prospective client in contention with choice # 50 or # 60 far from his top 10 choices 😂 

Its good to note that  provider placement on pages on RM are listed on the front pages because those placements have been paid for so you might be surprised ( in a good way ) what you find on page 10 or 15. Guys that don't really rely on advertising as much aren't going to pay RM extra for more "exposure"

Edited by Vin_Marco

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

would be impossible for me to not tell that person "Hey, I was interested in seeing [flaky provider here], but the jerk told me last minute he had a family emergency, so I was wondering if.....". I KNOW this is a terrible introduction to make with anyone, because I've just admitted I'm not wanting seeing them initially.

Why would you feel you'd have to tell a provider they're choice #2. Completely unnecessary. Zip it 😉

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

People handle the disappointment of meet-ups that don't come to fruition different ways. I just please myself, fantasizing of what could've been, and try to see someone else at a different time frame.

I'm guessing that for the majority, they look around to find their second choice on down until they find someone, and go with that. I could never do this because it would be impossible for me to not tell that person "Hey, I was interested in seeing [flaky provider here], but the jerk told me last minute he had a family emergency, so I was wondering if.....". I KNOW this is a terrible introduction to make with anyone, because I've just admitted I'm not wanting seeing them initially.

Has anyone had an experience with, say, choice #6 - and had it be a pleasant surprise? And had the decency to leave that part out of trying find other people unsuccessfully first? It's probably a sad measurable percentage, but there's possibly those who contact a provider and say, "You're the least expensive and attractive person listed - I'm not surprised you're on page 6 listed 145th, but I started my search of guys backwards, and came across you. Are you available?"

I don’t understand why you feel the need to explain what happened with another provider. Best case scenario you are telling the new provider that they are a second choice which IMHO is never a good way to start a hire.

Like anyone else I have several choices listed when I hire. If for some reason my first choice ends up canceling, I start contacting the next one on the list to see if they are available. No need for explanations. 

8 hours ago, viewing ownly said:

I don't see the need to tell my second, or anyone who's not my first choice that they are not my first choice. It has happened that I have gone with second or third choices at different times, but I don't see why I have to tell the provider anything about that. In fact, when I see choices, I don't necessarily think that the first provider I contact is a first choice; any of them could be the one I call first. Sometimes the first call is based on location, not necessarily based on what the provider offers.

Also, it is my belief that if I decide to tell any provider that they weren't the first I called, I'm not sure that they will care much, for as long as service is provided and the entire event is properly managed.

And yes, I've had very pleasant surprises when going to the provider that I didn't call first, actually, not really a surprise since them being in the list is because I believe that they can deliver the service I want. That's why they are in the list in the first place. But again, in my case most of the order of contacting is based on location.

Side note: I imagine when you say "...you're on page 6 listed 145th", you're exaggerating, right?

Edited by soloyo215

• rvwnsd locked this topic