Unexpected warning by Microsoft about the "other" site

coriolis888

Occasionally, I look at the competitive site to this site.  I do not find it very interesting because most of the discussions are about Asia and things that are of limited interest to me.

Tonight I tried to sign in several times and got the following message:

This site has been reported as unsafe

Hosted by www.gayguides.com

Microsoft recommends you don’t continue to this site. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing misleading content that could lead you to lose personal info, financial data, and even money.

Go back
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen

Does anyone know if that site has had problems?  Like I wrote, I do not follow that site except rarely.  

9 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

Occasionally, I look at the competitive site to this site.  I do not find it very interesting because most of the discussions are about Asia and things that are of limited interest to me.

Tonight I tried to sign in several times and got the following message:

The owner of “the other site” is disengaged from it.  The security certificates frequently lapse and those unsafe messages come up.  That’s best case scenario.  Could be something else entirely & much worse.  

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

All the nut-jobs floated over there.

That forum is probably just so toxic that Microsoft needed to block it. 😉

It is no worse over there than it is over here.  Every forest has its "special" trees. If you hang around long enough, you will figure it out. Different isn't necessarily nut-job. 🤓

tumblr_mxtrmqGk5m1rdutw3o1_400.gif.e13f5fff19cb79fdd919958b37e87ea7.gif

4 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

It is no worse over there than it is over here. 

We will need to agree to disagree then.

C.o.M.retained the members who can do exactly THAT. The "other site" attracted the petulant children who will stamp their feet and call names when you disagree. So the forum over there is a cesspool of toxic group-think by naive, angry children.

None of them are missed, here.

Kudos to the administration here for cutting through the nonsense and putting their foot down in the end.

9 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

It is no worse over there than it is over here.

It’s unmoderated by the owner, so it is different.
There’s a small clique of members there that tells the owner what to do when somebody pisses them off - so the “moderating” isn’t about violating rules, it’s if you offend the clique & then they get people banned.

there was purge of several of the most prolific posters sometime in the last 12 months & it was all people who posted non-Thailand information. Mainly about Brazil, DR, Colombia, etc.  Once those guys were gone, the activity went way down given there is very little of interest other than Thailand. 

Like here - you don’t need to be a registered member to visit the site. See for yourself - except you might get hacked, evidently.

54 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

It’s unmoderated by the owner, so it is different.
There’s a small clique of members there that tells the owner what to do when somebody pisses them off - so the “moderating” isn’t about violating rules, it’s if you offend the clique & then they get people banned.

there was purge of several of the most prolific posters sometime in the last 12 months & it was all people who posted non-Thailand information. Mainly about Brazil, DR, Colombia, etc.  Once those guys were gone, the activity went way down given there is very little of interest other than Thailand. 

Like here - you don’t need to be a registered member to visit the site. See for yourself - except you might get hacked, evidently.

That hasn't been my experience and I have floated between the two sites for years as a participating member. Guess I am just lucky! 😌  Thanks @Lucky

Edited by KeepItReal

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Kudos to the administration here for cutting through the nonsense and putting their foot down in the end.

💯 That's what's retained me....  mad props to the mods here for quelling the petty and the disrespectful. Years ago I was active on MSS but that became the wild Wild West before it died its slow death ☠️ This is THEE only place I remain socially active online....

Edited by Vin_Marco

@coriolis888should be thanked for alerting people of a problem there.  

The known & ongoing site security issues may not show up in all browsers.  Proceed at your own risk.  

I imagine getting hacked by cyber criminals would be most unpleasant when they have access to all kinds of personal data.  

there might be one good thing about the other site - since none of them actually hire anyone, you’ll probably never see threads about *DEPOSITS*

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

15 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

there might be one good thing about the other site - since none of them actually hire anyone, you’ll probably never see threads about *DEPOSITS*

😂😂😂😂😜💀

2 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

snip

You would be surprised to know that many providers participate in this site as well as the other site.  Hiring can be from an ad and/or can be directed from this and the other site to a providers' ad.    

all of this is a reminder of the hard work the moderators here do and a reminder of @RadioRob  seemingly coming out of nowhere after "Daddy" died and saving this forum a couple years ago....many of us were exchanging email addresses and contact info with our favorite posters back then in anticipation of the forum's demise......there hasn't been a forum donation mention lately, I don't think.....and, gee, the holiday season is coming up.......

https://www.companyofmen.org/donate/

oh, about that "other site"?.......I look in about once a month, read about somebody's trip report to Bangkok, look for anything else of interest, and log out.....hell, even the Politics forum over there only gets a post about once a week.....can you imagine??!!

30 minutes ago, coriolis888 said:

You would be surprised to know that many providers participate in this site as well as the other site.

I’ll take your word for it.  
Although that seems like fishing in a dry pond.  Those guys are arguing about whether a $2 or $3 tip to the gogos in Bangkok is too much.  Not exactly big spenders. 

Even Daddy had moved on from this ridiculous beefing between both sites. We have no many outlets where we can share our experiences with sex work. It is sad that instead of supporting each other, we are acting like middle schoolers beefing in social media about who has more followers.

I do not want to correct AGAIN all the inaccuracies here. I did it in another thread, and the thread was deleted by the mods. But this is indeed childish. 

13 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

Even Daddy had moved on from this ridiculous beefing between both sites. We have no many outlets where we can share our experiences with sex work. It is sad that instead of supporting each other, we are acting like middle schoolers beefing in social media about who has more followers.

I do not want to correct AGAIN all the inaccuracies here. I did it in another thread, and the thread was deleted by the mods. But this is indeed childish. 

The two sites are very different, not just the topics covered but the audience as well. Which is a good thing. Yeay diversity! 👏

scott-bakula-enterprise.gif.9388d5ac4711fe7b14200926bec61324.gif

7 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

The two sites are very different, not just the topics covered but the audience as well. Which is a good thing. Yeay diversity! 👏

I agree that both sites are very different.  However, the above posts and responses do not offer any thoughts or answers why gayguides.com was targeted by Microsoft, while this site was not.   

What happened at the other site that would cause Microsoft, the largest vendor of computer software in the world, to create a warning and periodically intercept the site with their warning, as they have done? 

2 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

What happened at the other site that would cause Microsoft, the largest vendor of computer software in the world, to create a warning and periodically intercept the site with their warning, as they have done? 

it’s not just Microsoft. 

This a frequent occurrence because they don’t run it as a serious thing & the owner is otherwise occupied in Thailand most of the time. The SSL certificates lapse with no thought of the site security and how it could impact users; hacking.  These same warnings from various tech companies are not unusual there.  There are other threads about same exact thing here very recent.

It might be ok to browse without logging in - but do not give them any information.  I wouldn’t risk it.

11 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

Who shares any personal information to sign up for these discussion forums

you share information just by visiting the site (IP address) and more if you’re logging in with an email address.  If you’re using VPN, then probably fine.  Otherwise, NO.  

That’s the reason Microsoft put that message up - the “other site” is not secure & you are at risk if you use it. Proceed at your own risk.